ADVERTISEMENT

My nephew is a teacher in S Korea, and they....

are getting back to normal! He had his first class since the outbreak started there, and said that they have the virus on the run. I know they did an INCREDIBLE job of testing, but I still found this encouraging. If they can do it.....so can we!!!
That's great to hear. I wish our leadership would have responded the way the S. Korean leadership did. It was impressive to read their response and action. I was talking to my co-worker who is from Seoul and he mentioned it would be highly unusual to see anyone without a wearing a mask in public. Here in the States, I barely see anyone wearing a mask.

That's great to hear. I wish our leadership would have responded the way the S. Korean leadership did. It was impressive to read their response and action. I was talking to my co-worker who is from Seoul and he mentioned it would be highly unusual to see anyone without a wearing a mask in public. Here in the States, I barely see anyone wearing a mask.
Then why is our leadership receiving so many compliments from legitimate Medical Experts on it was handled in this country? Far more proactive than the leadership in place for the 2009 H1N1. You may want to survey some global medical experts on the handling of H1N1 in this country and the bogus vaccine that was put in front of US citizens. Don’t take my word. Do a little research and you might be surprised what you learn.

Then why is our leadership receiving so many compliments from legitimate Medical Experts on it was handled in this country? Far more proactive than the leadership in place for the 2009 H1N1. You may want to survey some global medical experts on the handling of H1N1 in this country and the bogus vaccine that was put in front of US citizens. Don’t take my word. Do a little research and you might be surprised what you learn.

Please link any positive remarks from medical experts about US leadership. I haven’t seen them and doubtful they exist. Trump busy praising himself for TV ratings of his news conferences but still clueless about science of it all

Lol...this is dumb

First off - yes, it's true that the US response to H1N1 was a bit delayed in 2009/2010. However, the eggs were already in the flu-basket in terms of response to a pandemic ... so our infrastructure was already geared toward a flu-based epidemic. Thus, having a muted external response may easily have been attributable to an internal response that felt that our resources were already directed toward the problem. All told, H1N1 led to an estimated 12500 deaths in the US (roughly 3500 confirmed deaths) ... with an estimated mortality rate of 0.02%.

Confirmed deaths in the US for the current pandemic are ALREADY at around 2600 dead ... and that number is rising every hour. Across all age groups, it's not outlandish to estimate the mortality rate to be in the ball-park of 2%.

What's the significance of the above information? First ... we're dealing with a virus that we don't have the same preparedness for ... our pandemic preparedness has been geared more towards the flu-virus ... not Corona-type viruses. Second ... the mortality rate is an order of magnitude OR TWO worse for covid-19 compared to H1N1.

So when you're dealing with a virus that is potentially 100 times more deadly than H1N1 ... and you don't have a medical infrastructure that is prepared for it ... you better have an immediate response.

To suggest that our nation's initial response was commendable would be revisionist history. Unless you've missed it ... we're being told to brace for the possibility of up to 200000 deaths in the USA alone!

That area of the world is different both culturally and in their experience with viruses based on their greater impact from SARS in the early 2000s. It's much more common in South Korea for folks to wear masks in public, and big gatherings/stores are all outfitted with temperature scanners and hand sanitizer. They built up their inventory of masks, and quickly moved on getting tests early on, because their whole approach depends on testing, isolating positive people and doing contact tracing. I would imagine the US (once we are past this) will spend the money and time to build up the infrastructure necessary to do the same.

There's plenty to blame to pass around to leaders in the state and national level, mostly because no one could imagine we would be in this situation. Some states and federal leaders have responded better than others.

Last edited:
Those East Asian societies are very different than ours. They approach a situation like this in unison with a very lock step coordianted response that you do not see from Americans or Europeans. You're not going to see Koreans or Japanese youth down on the beach having Corona parties. We are an individualistic, narcissistic society that will not respond as well as they do. I see how quickly the Europeans get it under control as a much better indication of how it goes in the US. Look at the tsunamis in Japan, no looting at all. There would have been a serious crime wave here after something like that.

Please link any positive remarks from medical experts about US leadership. I haven’t seen them and doubtful they exist. Trump busy praising himself for TV ratings of his news conferences but still clueless about science of it all

Maybe if people would listen and STAY HOME and NOT GO OUT this crisis would end. Too many millenials think they are untouchable and they don't care if they get it or pass it on to someone else.

are getting back to normal! He had his first class since the outbreak started there, and said that they have the virus on the run. I know they did an INCREDIBLE job of testing, but I still found this encouraging. If they can do it.....so can we!!!
My wife's two kids live in Tokyo. Her daughter doesn't work so she has been at home, but her son has still been riding the train an hour and a half to and from work each day. I have been to Tokyo twice and can tell you this. There is no such thing as social distancing on those trains. You packed in as tight as they can, then they add more. So, I have heard that Japan only has 52 deaths. I know everyone is wearing a mask. They had run out so my wife bought $15 worth of masks (before people in the US started buying them) and it cost us $63 to send them. :( With the majority of the people in the US infected in large cities, and guessing that most Americans do not wear masks I am thinking that might be a lot of the difference.

My wife's two kids live in Tokyo. Her daughter doesn't work so she has been at home, but her son has still been riding the train an hour and a half to and from work each day. I have been to Tokyo twice and can tell you this. There is no such thing as social distancing on those trains. You packed in as tight as they can, then they add more. So, I have heard that Japan only has 52 deaths. I know everyone is wearing a mask. They had run out so my wife bought $15 worth of masks (before people in the US started buying them) and it cost us $63 to send them. :( With the majority of the people infected in large cities, and guessing that most Americans do not wear masks I am thinking that might be a lot of the difference.
Maybe wearing masks is more important than we have been lead to believe.

Maybe wearing masks is more important than we have been lead to believe.
Yeah. I'm not an expert, I just play one on Rivals ;), but I know it is common for people in Japan to wear a mask even if they just have a cold. My guess is that most people in the US (me included) don't think it looks cool to wear a mask, so we don't and are much more susceptible.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
Yeah. I'm not an expert, I just play one on Rivals ;), but I know it is common for people in Japan to wear a mask even if they just have a cold. My guess is that most people in the US (me included) don't think it looks cool to wear a mask, so we don't and are much more susceptible.
I wonder of wearing some sort of sun gator like a Buff would be more effective than wearing nothing. I have been on those Japanese trains, I was in Tokyo last July, and you are correct. They are packed in like sardines. And many of them wear masks. If the train is too packed, they have people wearing rubber gloves who shove people onto the trains.

Reactions: scotthawk1964
I wonder of wearing some sort of sun gator like a Buff would be more effective than wearing nothing. I have been on those Japanese trains, I was in Tokyo last July, and you are correct. They are packed in like sardines. And many of them wear masks. If the train is too packed, they have people wearing rubber gloves who shove people onto the trains.
I was just their for two weeks that the end of October until Nov. 13th. I am Claustrophobic which made the train rides at rush hour hell. LOL My wife's kids live in Warabi which is a suburb of Tokyo. I do have to say, I love Japanese Ramen. I can't find a Ramen place in Des Moines that my wife will accept. She is Philippine but spent 24 years in Japan, and she is very picky about her Ramen. Only fresh homemade pasta in Japan, and frozen pasta in the US from what I can see.

First off - yes, it's true that the US response to H1N1 was a bit delayed in 2009/2010. However, the eggs were already in the flu-basket in terms of response to a pandemic ... so our infrastructure was already geared toward a flu-based epidemic. Thus, having a muted external response may easily have been attributable to an internal response that felt that our resources were already directed toward the problem. All told, H1N1 led to an estimated 12500 deaths in the US (roughly 3500 confirmed deaths) ... with an estimated mortality rate of 0.02%.

Confirmed deaths in the US for the current pandemic are ALREADY at around 2600 dead ... and that number is rising every hour. Across all age groups, it's not outlandish to estimate the mortality rate to be in the ball-park of 2%.

What's the significance of the above information? First ... we're dealing with a virus that we don't have the same preparedness for ... our pandemic preparedness has been geared more towards the flu-virus ... not Corona-type viruses. Second ... the mortality rate is an order of magnitude OR TWO worse for covid-19 compared to H1N1.

So when you're dealing with a virus that is potentially 100 times more deadly than H1N1 ... and you don't have a medical infrastructure that is prepared for it ... you better have an immediate response.

To suggest that our nation's initial response was commendable would be revisionist history. Unless you've missed it ... we're being told to brace for the possibility of up to 200000 deaths in the USA alone!
"he mortality rate is an order of magnitude OR TWO worse for covid-19 compared to H1N1" - Still SMALL

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsa...the-outbreak-without-shutting-everything-down

Sounds a lot like our leadership here, and considering they have 1% the land area and 15% the population

Get me a Hawkeye mask I will wear it.

could you please post some links regarding "our leadership receiving so many compliments from legitimate Medical Experts on it was handled in this country" i just havent seen this and would really like to read this information if it is out there.

Fact: Trump said the virus was no big deal. Sick? Go to work anyway. Videos and written reports from legitimate news sources are available everywhere to verify this.

Fact: Trump recently called A-Rod for advice on handling the pandemic.

Fact: Trump was told in January the virus was coming and laughed it off. Now he says, "Nobody could have seen this coming." Actually, everybody in the health community saw it coming, told him, and he ignored it. Look it up.

Fact: One of the first things Trump did was to dismantle Obama's pandemic response team designed to handle this exact situation. Had it still been in place, the US would be more like S. Korea now rather than Italy.

Fact: Trump's ignorant, arrogant mishandling of everything has now culminated in putting you, me, and every other American at risk of serious illness or death.

Fact: This president is a sociopath and a pathological liar, an egomaniac, a bully, and a coward who--like serial killers--has not a drop of empathy. The list of dangerous character traits could go on almost indefinitely.

It's one thing to disagree on politics, it's an entirely different thing to watch the world's greatest democracy being torn to shreds by a megalomaniac who is putting the very lives of those who blindly support him--and everyone else--in mortal danger.

BTW: When he signed the relief bill the other day, one of the first things the president said was that he wanted his signature on the checks going to individuals. Normally, a nameless civil servant signs such checks. And then the president, with nothing better to do, went on Twitter to brag about what great TV ratings he's getting on his virus press briefings. Meanwhile, the US lacks enough 75-cent masks and gloves to keep doctors and nurses safe as they treat COVID-19 victims. He mocks the disabled. He blames everyone else for his constant failures. He "has a hunch" the virus will just go away instead of listening to the doctors, researchers, and other experts. And THIS is the entity you defend, that you want to vote for again? What is wrong with you? No decent parent would put up with such behavior for a minute from an 8-year-old, but millions bow down to the entity who, thanks only to the quirk of the Electoral College, has the US on the brink of disaster.

Fact: Trump said the virus was no big deal. Sick? Go to work anyway. Videos and written reports from legitimate news sources are available everywhere to verify this.

Fact: Trump was told in January the virus was coming and laughed it off. Now he says, "Nobody could have seen this coming." Actually, everybody in the health community saw it coming, told him, and he ignored it. Look it up.

Fact: One of the first things Trump did was to dismantle Obama's pandemic response team designed to handle this exact situation. Had it still been in place, the US would be more like S. Korea now rather than Italy.

Fact: Trump's ignorant, arrogant mishandling of everything has now culminated in putting you, me, and every other American at risk of serious illness or death.

Fact: This president is a sociopath and a pathological liar, an egomaniac, a bully, and a coward who--like serial killers--has not a drop of empathy. The list of dangerous character traits could go on almost indefinitely.

It's one thing to disagree on politics, it's an entirely different thing to watch the world's greatest democracy being torn to shreds by a megalomaniac who is putting the very lives of those who blindly support him--and everyone else--in mortal danger.

BTW: When he signed the relief bill the other day, one of the first things the president said was that he wanted his signature on the checks going to individuals. Normally, a nameless civil servant signs such checks. And then the president, with nothing better to do, went on Twitter to brag about what great TV ratings he's getting on his virus press briefings. Meanwhile, the US lacks enough 75-cent masks and gloves to keep doctors and nurses safe as they treat COVID-19 victims. He mocks the disabled. He blames everyone else for his constant failures. He "has a hunch" the virus will just go away instead of listening to the doctors, researchers, and other experts. And THIS is the entity you defend, that you want to vote for again? What is wrong with you? No decent parent would put up with such behavior for a minute from an 8-year-old, but millions bow down to the entity who, thanks only to the quirk of the Electoral College, has the US on the brink of disaster.

wrong board.....

Let me guess, your not a Trump supporter? LOL You mention his constant failures, like what? I mean, before the CHINESE set this virus loose on the earth, we had record low unemployment, record low BLACK unemployment, markets were setting records and he was getting the wall built which he promised.........See, this is WHY you don't bring up politics on a sports forum, because at half the board is with you and half against, and your just opening up Pandora's box. I mean, I can argue politics all day long with you, but why, THIS IS A FREAKING SPORTS FORUM. And with all due respect, half the people you list on the bottom of all your posts are scumbags. LOL....So is this what you want on the Forum? If not, please drop the political bullshit. :eek: BTW, do you realize that Trumps has good poll numbers on how he has handled the Covid-19 crisis?

Last edited:
But why aren’t we
Where are the test and why are so many people getting turned down for the test

"he mortality rate is an order of magnitude OR TWO worse for covid-19 compared to H1N1" - Still SMALL
Please explain how a 100 fold difference in mortality rate is "still small." Right now it doesn't quite compute.

As a ridiculously dire scenario (that I doubt will happen) - folks in Germany speculated that as many as 70% of their population could ultimately get infected. If the same occurs in the USA ... that means we're staring down 229 million infected. A mortality rate of 2% of those infected, would be 4.58 million DEAD. I believe such a number is certainly outlandishly large.

However, for the '09 swine flu, it was estimated that as many as 60.8 million folks were infected. If we face the same numbers of corona-virus infections ... 2% of that number would still amount to 1.22 million DEAD! (a huge difference from the 12.2 thousand who were estimated to have died from the swine flu)

The estimated number of possible deaths in the USA of 200-300 thousand people is perceived by many as an optimistic number. So again ... I don't understand what is meant by "still small."

Reactions: perryhawk
This virus is very dangerous to the old and sick. Not so much for the young and healthy. This is why we cannot get everyone to do what needs to be done.

Reactions: scotthawk1964
All we or the president has to do is make it mandatory to were some type of mask if you're out in public. Make it a $300 fine and you'll be surprised how fast people will find one or make one. It is to protect the other person more than protecting yourself...

Take this shit to the off topic board please...

Give it up, Tex. We are still in the middle of a crisis AND it is getting a lot worse. Wait until this has passed before handing out kudos.

Reactions: blackandgoldPT
ADVERTISEMENT