ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATE: My Nurse Sister in Law went into anaphylactic shock this morning during vaccination

FAUlty Gator

HR Legend
Oct 27, 2017
BELOW is the original OP. Today she just got the shot and had to be epi penned and is recovering in ER. I’m very pro-vax but this is an effed up situation all around. Willingly tempting death to keep your job. There has to be a better solution than that.
——————

SUBJECT: Nurse Sister in Law forced to get vax soon. She’s allergic and goes into anaphylactic shock.

I’m all for it. So is she…for all others. Her issue is that when she was vaccinated for the flu and then hepatitis she went into anaphylactic shock and almost died…each time. Within seconds she couldn’t breathe and and was grasping at the the jacket of the person doing it. Had to get epi penned both times. So, she’s been careful and hasn’t even had it yet.

Now they’re telling her she has to or she’s fired. And she gets that. Her issue is that they’re fighting her on having a doctor there in case it goes south which is absolutely ridiculous…especially since she’s been there for 22 years.

No real reason for the story other than I found the situation interesting.

Last edited:
Oh…and she has huge bewbs. Looking at these pics of her on her bikini. You guys would love her.

giphy.gif

I’m all for it. So is she…for all others. Her issue is that when she was vaccinated for the flu and then hepatitis she went into anaphylactic shock and almost died…each time. Within seconds she couldn’t breathe and and was grasping at the the jacket of the person doing it. Had to get epi penned both times. So, she’s been careful and hasn’t even had it yet.

Now they’re telling her she has to or she’s fired. And she gets that. Her issue is that they’re fighting her on having a doctor there in case it goes south which is absolutely ridiculous…especially since she’s been there for 22 years.

No real reason for the story other than I found the situation interesting. Oh…and she has huge bewbs. Looking at these pics of her on her bikini. You guys would love her. Ok then…CSB.
what's preventing her from getting the vaccine at another location with a doctor present in case of an adverse reaction and providing that documentation to her employer?

No real reason for the story other than I found the situation interesting. Oh…and she has huge bewbs. Looking at these pics of her on her bikini. You guys would love her. Ok then…CSB.
So, no exemption for high medical risk due to vaccination?

And follow the freaking rules on pics!

what's preventing her from getting the vaccine at another location with a doctor present in case of an adverse reaction and providing that documentation to her employer?
This just happened yesterday. So could happen.

Sounds unfortunate but the hospital/medical office has all the right to make such a request.

perhaps they are willing to accept doctors waivers for extreme cases like your SIL but that’s a slippery slope

oh and post pic jerk face

Reactions: 86Hawkeye
Yeah…but she seems to have them with all of them.

Depends on the ingredients, as it is usually a specific ingredient that relates to anaphylaxis.

Is it a risk? Yes, about 1 in 1 million.
Is that a reason to not get the vaccine? Probably not when it is eminently treatable, and can be administered in a setting where it can be immediately treated.

Depends on the ingredients, as it is usually a specific ingredient that relates to anaphylaxis.

Is that a reason to not get the vaccine? Probably not when it is eminently treatable, and can be administered in a setting where it can be immediately treated.

1 in a million? People buy Powerball tickets every day with much higher odds. She's proven to be in a high risk group already - twice- so definitely she should have someone there with an epipen at the ready.

mRNA is nothing like the flu or hepatitis shots. Dumb she can't have a physician present, though.

Yeah…but she seems to have them with all of them. Her last two anyway. She’s getting it. Just wants to make sure things are in place for her.

Did they ever determine the common denominator for her side effects? I assume the flu and hepatitis are two different vaccines? There has to be something in common with those two things to cause the side effect she experiences.

FWIW, the JNJ vaccine is associated with these types of rare side effects.

Moderna and Pfizer are not
That's not true. Why do you make stuff up?

I had Moderna, and I had to sign a waiver because of specific allergies, and also had an extended observation period for both shots.

That's not true. Why do you make stuff up?

I had Moderna, and I had to sign a waiver because of specific allergies, and also had an extended observation period for both shots.
This. I got Pfizer and they had a large waiting area with nurses walking around and 60's music playing so us Boomers would do chair aerobics to move the vax through our bodies. 30 minutes.

Interesting, both places I got my shots had you wait so they could monitor you for adverse reactions.
Same. Mine was administered by a nurse and another nurse monitored a waiting room where we had to sit for 15 min until "released". My high-risk MIL was required to wait 30 min.

This. I got Pfizer and they had a large waiting area with nurses walking around and 60's music playing so us Boomers would do chair aerobics to move the vax through our bodies. 30 minutes.
I got mine at Walmart and just had to sit on a chair for 15 minutes. No one said anything about moving or doing chair aerobics. I think maybe they just wanted to watch your titties bounce.

It's 1 in a million for the general public. It's not 1 in a million for people who have certain identified allergies.

45 minutes for me. They got worried because I fell asleep sitting in the chair.

Please reference huge.

Reactions: FAUlty Gator
22 year career and maybe likes to help people but sure "get F'd and go get another job". JFC
This.
Also there might be issues with 401K early out or pension issues that would occur with leaving her job.
Some jobs it is not easy to pick up and go. Also age might be an issue of not getting hired in a short time frame.

Who is administering the vaccine? In Florida, there has to be appropriate medical professionals on site or in the event of a pharmacist, they have to have adverse reaction training.

Mine was given by a nurse, but a doctor was in the building.

Reactions: goldmom
Yeah…but she seems to have them with all of them.
Again: she has never had an mRNA vaccine, so while that may be the same outcome for her, to assert "all of them" when only AZ or JNJ are "standard vaccines" is not true.

Now, if "all of them" have the same ingredients in them that she reacts to, then it IS the case. This would, again, be a convo to have with a PCP, and NOT get the vaccine in a "regular" pharmacy setting. Get it at a facility with the expertise and resources to immediately handle a severe reaction.

This ain't rocket salad

Reactions: hawkbirch
It's 1 in a million for the general public. It's not 1 in a million for people who have certain identified allergies.

Which, again, are related to vaccine components. And the previous vaccines she had reactions do have known lists of ingredients, as do these Covid vaccines.

So, if you can pick one w/o those same ingredients, that'd be a smart step.

She's proven to be in a high risk group already - twice- so definitely she should have someone there with an epipen at the ready.

I've stated this several times now, along with having her physician review prior vaccine constituents to assess which of the vaccine options might be a "best bet".

Reactions: goldmom
I have no medical advice to give, since I work in the financial field. On that note, you should probably be taking out a very large life insurance policy on her, just in case.

I thought there was a major shortage of hospital staff. Seems backwards.

It's also recommended to not take the vaccine within 3 months of having COVID.

On that note, why should people be vaccinated who've had COVID?

I'm not against it, just asking the question.

Yeah…but she seems to have them with all of them. Her last two anyway. She’s getting it. Just wants to make sure things are in place for her.
My No Pic is the same with any type of shot also. I have tried to lay out different scenarios that could mitigate her fears and safety but to no avail. She will never get the shot. My only solace is that her entire family NEVER get the flu or colds so I hold out some hope of the covid not killing her. It is a truly amazing thing. I have tried to make her sign up for some type of study to check out her family genes but also to no avail.

Reactions: FAUlty Gator
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT