ADVERTISEMENT

My plan for the O feel free to disagree but post your own if you don't like mine

pondscum

All-Conference
Gold Member
Jun 18, 2011
First I would end the Petras experiment and play Alex or Labas going forward. This week you have to design plays to help them. They both are said to be able to run and throw on the run so have a game plan that helps. Next week I would announce that Barnett has either been fired or moved from the coaching staff and that BF is returning to the offensive line. Next, I would name Budmayrs the interim offensive coordinator. It would be nearly impossible to find an OC mid-season and he has been a QB and OC and would at least know the play book. We have to face it KF will never doing anything like this. Lets reply and tell us what you would do should be interesting.

It's obviously too late to do what i would do - which is for BF to move on in January, 22 and hire a new OC - I would have paid a proven OC $1.5 million and given him the keys. He would get to pick his staff and everything else on the offensive side of the ball.

Today? It's like trying to stop a train wreck in progress.

But, if it were up to me, SP would not see the field against Nevada. AP would start, and Joey Throws would get lots of game time experience.

I don't actually expect that this would yield better results, but you have to try.

First I would end the Petras experiment and play Alex or Labas going forward. This week you have to design plays to help them. They both are said to be able to run and throw on the run so have a game plan that helps. Next week I would announce that Barnett has either been fired or moved from the coaching staff and that BF is returning to the offensive line. Next, I would name Budmayrs the interim offensive coordinator. It would be nearly impossible to find an OC mid-season and he has been a QB and OC and would at least know the play book. We have to face it KF will never doing anything like this. Lets reply and tell us what you would do should be interesting.
Petras starts again after they clean up some things with him and the OL. Meanwhile our WR's are still ghosts that block and little else and we get around 180 yards of offense against Nevada which will be 'improvement.'

It's obviously too late to do what i would do - which is for BF to move on in January, 22 and hire a new OC - I would have paid a proven OC $1.5 million and given him the keys. He would get to pick his staff and everything else on the offensive side of the ball.

But, if it were up to me, SP would not see the field against Nevada. AP would start, and Joey Throws would get lots of game time experience.

I don't actually expect that this would yield better results, but you have to try.
I completely agree. I was trying to say what could be done right now

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Lol yeah let’s put the guy who got fired from Colorado State in charge of the offense…

A new OC won’t do anything.
It’s Kirks offense

Anything would be at least as good if not better.

Petras will start. Iowa will win, which means Petras starts the following week….no matter how poorly he plays. The offense may actually put respectable numbers which will result in an “I told you so” attitude from Kirk and justify continuing to play Petras. Never mind the stats against Nevada are misleading because Nevada is horrible.

Reactions: TRHawkeye145
Petras will start. Iowa will win, which means Petras starts the following week….no matter how poorly he plays. The offense may actually put respectable numbers which will result in an “I told you so” attitude from Kirk and justify continuing to play Petras. Never mind the stats against Nevada are misleading because Nevada is horrible.
I don't see a world even with Kirk in it that SP starts. Boosters are going to be loud this week about that i would assume.

Lol yeah let’s put the guy who got fired from Colorado State in charge of the offense…
I thought he got let go in a coaching change and we need anyone but BF Would you really want to keep going with him

I like this plan.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
I’d give Padilla and Labas equal opportunity this week in practice and against Nevada — possibly even into the following week/game to determine who starts the rest of the way. Even if the stats and results are not better (they can’t be worse), it is still an investment in the future as Padilla and Labas both would benefit from game experience.

Secondly, I’d try to get Woods involved in the offense in some way, even if it’s very minor to start.

Lastly, elevate Betts to have more control of the offense, even if BF is still the “coordinator.” Take some responsibility away from BF and have him focus more on the OL again. The reason for that is I believe Betts is the best recruiter for skill position players we have and it would hopefully keep our current and future targets in the fold — all while developing him for more responsibility in the future too.

Petras starts again after they clean up some things with him and the OL. Meanwhile our WR's are still ghosts that block and little else and we get around 180 yards of offense against Nevada which will be 'improvement.'

Hate to break this to you but Iowa's WRs are perpetually the worst-blocking WRs you will see. Iowa is the only team in post-middle-school football that can't execute a bubble or slip screen.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
It is too late in the game to make major changes on offense to the scheme - which is why many of us are so incredibly upset. What has been clear the entire time to me, considering kid's day, spring practice, and the little tidbits that we get from the media - is that Petras is the best they have to run Kirk's offense the way he wants it run.

They certainly have QB's on the roster who would probably be able to effectively run a better system/different plays as they are all more athletic - but in college football with only 20 hours per week contact with players - they are not going to be able to tailor the offense to them. I hope that explains why this was such an egregious error to have Petras be the unquestioned starter with no competition this offseason.

Add a clause in all offensive coaches contracts that say "if the offense doesn't score 2 TDs you have to donate a percentage of your paycheck to the defense and special teams coaches and NIL fund". That means if they don't drive the ball at least 50 yards and punch it end the endzone it doesn't count. We'd have the highest paid D and special teams players in the nation. Of course the D and ST would have clauses like this as well. The kicker wouldn't get any NIL money, Tory Taylor and VanNess would be able to retire quite comfortably. Get paid for what you do, how it should be.

While Phil Parker makes 300K less?
This part.

Reactions: ShonnDeereGreene
Just play Padilla. I just rewatched the NW game last year. Padilla came in and the offense quickly scored two TDs. This was after the entire 1st quarter of Petras, mostly 3 and outs. Then he won the next 3 games against Big Ten opponents.

Can we buy a new offensive line with NIL and portal transfers at this point. Face it, we have some major misses at the qb and OLine in recruiting the last few years.

Kirk has recruited a fair number of Olinemen who came in as true or redshirt freshmen ready to be plugged into the line. But this group just cant get synched up nor maybe have the individual talents and skill to get it done.

It’s fun to think about changes, I do it all the time because the structure is so screwed up.

The reality is, though, that nothing scheme or structure wise will change this season. The offensive scheme is set, the coordinator isn’t going anywhere, neither is the oline coach. The best players, according to the coaches, are already playing.

It’s a bleak situation. And the staff has no one to blame but themselves.

The OP is specifically the question that should be asked. What can we do now. I almost entirely agree with the OP.

Although the line improved, especially in the second half, we had played ourselves into a position where the range of plays was so small, the QB so obviously mentally beaten that the line was overwhelmed by pure numbers. But, BF was an excellent OL coach. Fire Barnett and move BF back to OL.

If KF is unwilling to do that my next move would be to tell Brian to play Labas and run the offense that works for him. Adapt your philosophy to the players you have. Simplify things and just run the parts Joe knows. We have a great defense and special teams, again. The offense is literally the worst in the country. If now is not the time to gamble with a young QB when would such a change ever be possible? Very much like Ricky Stanzi's soph season. He was wild as hell but we had a good defense that could minimize the damage by some terrible interceptions and third down misses.

I would also make sure we had a no huddle package to break out at different times throughout every game. Basically do everything Iowa doesn't do. Give the opponent's something new every week. The Cowboys literally too the words out of my mount. Throw some options at Ds with the more mobile Joe. Almost every set comes with multiple options. Let's use the ****ing options we have not already used and see what happens.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT