ADVERTISEMENT

My SIL sent out an email

BelemNole

HR Legend
Mar 29, 2002
To everyone in her family and cc’d me. Said she was moved to share these videos with us. They were a catholic priest going on about covid being largely a hoax. Now her family is filled with medical workers who probably don’t want this nonsense any more than i do. Well, that’s not true - her older sister believes in every conspiracy theory including that sandy hook was a hoax.
Anyway, she’s family, I love her. But no.
I simply replied with “unsubscribe”

Last edited:
i dont maintain a facebook account mostly for this reason, but if i did i would simply ask if this poster is a f*cking idiot.
5-10 years ago i was at a bar with family, for some celebration, and two of my uncles were going on about Ted Nuggent. i gave them the stink eye and said that guy is a pos. they were stunned and asked why. i proceeded to tell them about him shitting his pants for weeks to get out of the draft. they obviously didnt believe me, so i told them to look it up on their phones. they found several articles that confirmed what i told them and they had stunned looks on their faces, but didnt admit to being wrong about him. then months later my sister said that the same uncles were on fb again praising that pos Ted.

I was stuck in the EOC all week after Sally came through. The statement made several times was that COVID would be over after the election. I finally spoke up and asked how universally despised Trump must be for the entire world to band against him and sacrifice their citizens in an effort to remove him from office. Of course they had no answer because they were not used to being challenged. Another blamed "blue state governors". I pulled up worldometers and showed them all of the red states that were on the first page of the leaderboard. Again, crickets.

I was stuck in the EOC all week after Sally came through. The statement made several times was that COVID would be over after the election. I finally spoke up and asked how universally despised Trump must be for the entire world to band against him and sacrifice their citizens in an effort to remove him from office. Of course they had no answer because they were not used to being challenged. Another blamed "blue state governors". I pulled up worldometers and showed them all of the red states that were on the first page of the leaderboard. Again, crickets.

It’s amazing how they absorb, completely believe, and then parrot pretty much any mid/dis-information they’re fed.

i dont maintain a facebook account mostly for this reason, but if i did i would simply ask if this poster is a f*cking idiot.
5-10 years ago i was at a bar with family, for some celebration, and two of my uncles were going on about Ted Nuggent. i gave them the stink eye and said that guy is a pos. they were stunned and asked why. i proceeded to tell them about him shitting his pants for weeks to get out of the draft. they obviously didnt believe me, so i told them to look it up on their phones. they found several articles that confirmed what i told them and they had stunned looks on their faces, but didnt admit to being wrong about him. then months later my sister said that the same uncles were on fb again praising that pos Ted.

This is what makes me the most crazy. They have no shame or self-awareness of being incorrect when they are found wrong. They will kind of slink away admitting nothing. Worst yet they will in fact double-down on the same bullshit. Apparently 40% of Americans are like this which blows my mind.

Maybe this guy? https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/SF-pastor-News-reports-on-COVID-are-largely-15440632.php

My wife says if Trump is re-elected she is going to ignore all her relatives that support him.
If politics ever becomes so important in my life that I ignore family and friends because they disagree with me...yikes.

Your wife sounds miserable, she should post here more. Misery lives company, and we could use more female posters.

Oh, and pics of wife or you're lying!

It’s amazing how they absorb, completely believe, and then parrot pretty much any mid/dis-information they’re fed.
Unfortunately, that's true on both sides of the aisle. People tend to consume information that confirms their entrenched biases. In our current environment, any news that is contradictory to what someone wants to believe is deemed "fake". The mistrust towards the media and that term specifically are some of the worst things that have come out of the last four years IMO.

See this is why bothers me, one person in a sect does not define the whole.

My Catholic priest posted something that is likely 100% opposite of what OP’s sister’s priest shared. It was a very thoughtful post essentially begging people to take COVID seriously and wear masks.

So which of these two Catholic priest represents the whole of all Catholic priests?

My Catholic priest posted something that is likely 100% opposite of what OP’s sister’s priest shared. It was a very thoughtful post essentially begging people to take COVID seriously and wear masks.

So which of these two Catholic priest represents the whole of all Catholic priests?
Why is any priest calling it a hoax?

If politics ever becomes so important in my life that I ignore family and friends because they disagree with me...yikes.

That is a silly, illogical, and intellectually lazy comment. I disagree with people a lot without having that disagreement change my view of who they are as people. But there is a level of stupidity and downright inhumanity that I will not bear.

If a family member joined the KKK I would shun them. It would not be because “I disagree with them.”

So please stop using that tired comment. You know it’s not true.

I don’t think the point of the OP is that this priest is representative of the Catholic Church. It’s that he’s representative of a startling large number of Americans.

It doesn't seem like you have to look hard to find these hoaxers, though. That's the point.
That does make sense to me. Huey, now in all sincerity what do you think is unconscious root to people getting duped by hoaxes? Is it a feeling that these hoax people lack identity in other ways, they want to belong to something that fires all sorts of neurons (hoaxes unfortunately, I believe can make people feel like they get something because their brain acts different when they see extreme messages).

Reactions: billanole

And this is the infuriating thing. They will just go back to their safe space of Fox News and OANN which will allow them to continue lying to themselves some more. It's really about greedy selfishness and racism. Those people and networks help them to not feel guilty about things they know are wrong.

And this is the infuriating thing. They will just go back to their safe space of Fox News and OANN which will allow them to continue lying to themselves some more. It's really about greedy selfishness and racism. Those people and networks help them to not feel guilty about things they know are wrong.
I live in the ruby red western panhandle of Florida. The EOC has eight big screen TVs surrounding the room. Normally, they are all on different weather channels and feeds from the NHC & NWS. Someone turned one of them to Fox News. It was basically a continuous Trump campaign advertisement. Especially during the forum talk shows. Fortunately, someone switched it back.

I will read different sites for different perspectives. There was nothing fair and balanced about their reporting at all.

Reactions: BioHawk and ping72
Unfortunately, that's true on both sides of the aisle. People tend to consume information that confirms their entrenched biases. In our current environment, any news that is contradictory to what someone wants to believe is deemed "fake". The mistrust towards the media and that term specifically are some of the worst things that have come out of the last four years IMO.

There is truth in your words and am surprised none of the usual suspects liked your post. @Huey Grey @Chishawk1425 @BioHawk @Tom Paris @joelbc1 etc......?

Boom.

The C-19 "leaderboard" shows this:

1) California
2) Texas
3) Florida
4) New York

And here's the list of states ranked by population:

1) California
2) Texas
3) Florida
4) New York

Do you see a trend here?

My immediate families are made up of fully educated adults or adolescents who are well on their way. 16 in my family and not a single republican. I thank God for that every day.

My aunts, uncles and cousins? F¿ck em. I've ended 35 year friendships because of the right wing opinions, comments, posts. I have no regrets and will not accept them back in to my life in the post-Trump era.

Reactions: blhawk

I suspect the message was more along the lines of, if Biden wins the election the message from the media and from the left will change from breathless panic and doom to one that concentrates on the positive rather than the negative. And as liberal as I am, and as much as I support the media, I also agree this is true. If Biden wins - please sweet Jesus let him win - the messaging will change quickly.

Update: no reply to my email, but my other sister in law who is married to her brother replied. She’s a long time RN and chewed her a new one. There was a lot of nonsense in the videos about masks being bad for you (because of course there was) and she pointed out that she’s worn one every day for 20 years and never had an issue. Same with all the people she works with. It was a complete take down - I need to send her a beer.

There is truth in your words and am surprised none of the usual suspects liked your post. @Huey Grey @Chishawk1425 @BioHawk @Tom Paris @joelbc1 etc......?
Or some of us can make out really obvious lies when we hear them. Please don't try and compare to Trump, his administration, the current Congressional Republicans, the people who spread his lies, and his idiot base to any other group in or discussing politics. When I am listening to long time Republicans talk, then I think my opinions on what is happening in this country are getting validated.

Not sure this is 100 percent what you are doing here, but you're trying to help that poster make a point, that in NORMAL times would be accurate. In Trump's America...it isn't, and again, I'm disappointed in you that you don't see the difference or understand this. The lack of understanding is beneath you, actually.

Last edited:
To everyone in her family and cc’d me. Said she was moved to share these videos with us. They were a catholic priest going on about covid being largely a hoax. Now her family is filled with medical workers who probably don’t want this nonsense any more than i do. Well, that’s not true - her older sister believes in every conspiracy theory including that sandy hook was a hoax.
Anyway, she’s family, I love her. But no.
I simply replied with “unsubscribe”
Many people feel this way...the teenager taking my order in the In-N-Out Burger line last night said this to my wife [no pics], "Ma'am, you don't have to put that on [about her mask], I think it's all just political non-sense." Now, did he get that on his own or espousing his parents? Who knows. Sure, COVID-19 has been politicized, but the virus isn't political...it doesn't care.

Update: no reply to my email, but my other sister in law who is married to her brother replied. She’s a long time RN and chewed her a new one. There was a lot of nonsense in the videos about masks being bad for you (because of course there was) and she pointed out that she’s worn one every day for 20 years and never had an issue. Same with all the people she works with. It was a complete take down - I need to send her a beer.
Pic of sis chewing out SIL?

Reactions: ping72
Many people feel this way...the teenager taking my order in the In-N-Out Burger line last night said this to my wife [no pics], "Ma'am, you don't have to put that on [about her mask], I think it's all just political non-sense." Now, did he get that on his own or espousing his parents? Who knows. Sure, COVID-19 has been politicized, but the virus isn't political...it doesn't care.
I have encountered folks telling me that I don’t have to wear a mask as well.
My response is, well, I have been feeling pretty poor lately and it has impacted my hearing. Do you wanna come close? Atchoo...
Not really, but it’s really a bummer that so many refuse to do simple, basic mitigation tactics. Would they be so lackadaisical about other infections?

Reactions: RileyHawk
My immediate families are made up of fully educated adults or adolescents who are well on their way. 16 in my family and not a single republican. I thank God for that every day.

My aunts, uncles and cousins? F¿ck em. I've ended 35 year friendships because of the right wing opinions, comments, posts. I have no regrets and will not accept them back in to my life in the post-Trump era.
Was it truly a friendship if a political opinion can end it? I may go with acquaintances or people I know.

I wrote earlier about trying to express my reasons to my dad in a calm and intellectual manner. I actually thought I had been calm and well-reasoned. I thought I might even be making progress.

Today I found out he put a Trump sign in his yard.

I got pissed. Really pissed. And I sent him and my mom a text message. Hands shaking, tears in eyes. This is what it said:

Due to the signs in the yard, the kids and I will not be down. The current occupant of the White House is preaching hate and violence, endangering the lives and safety of many of my friends. This is not acceptable to me at all. There is a complete disregard for women, minorities, science, ethics, and morality. Please consider if you support Trump that much. Because I hate him that much. I wanted to be upfront and honest about my feelings.
And then I went for a walk to calm down. And the more I thought about it, the more I agreed with the message. At this point, it is not acceptable to me. You can vote for whom you wish. But I can choose who I surround myself with. I love my dad, but I can’t be around him until he understands how vital I believe this election to be and what is truly at stake. It is not easy. But it was necessary. Now to see what fallout occurs.

WRITTEN BY

Leo Guinan
Follow
Trying to share my experiences in a way that might help others. I can change the world. I will change the world. Even if for a single person. He/Him.

Or some of us can make out really obvious lies when we hear them. Please don't try and compare to Trump, his administration, the current Congressional Republicans, the people who spread his lies, and his idiot base to any other group in or discussing politics. When I am listening to long time Republicans talk, then I think my opinions on what is happening in this country are getting validated.

Not sure this is 100 percent what you are doing here, but you're trying to help that poster make a point, that in NORMAL times would be accurate. In Trump's America...it isn't, and again, I'm disappointed in you that you don't see the difference or understand this. The lack of understanding is beneath you, actually.

Hmmmm. Yet you didn’t refute his post by responding to him

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT