ADVERTISEMENT

My sources tell me Fran will be extended through 2028

Love me some Fran. He’s shown he can win on a consistent basis and play entertaining ball. He’s high character and so are his players. And I really think hes Got a good NCAA run or two I him. Oh, and I think his son Jack will end up being pretty damn great.

Love me some Fran. He’s shown he can win on a consistent basis and play entertaining ball. He’s high character and so are his players. And I really think hes Got a good NCAA run or two I him. Oh, and I think his son Jack will end up being pretty damn great.

I mean.... why wouldn't you think that? But why limit it to two? He's only been coaching here for a little over a decade and already has ..... ZERO... NCAA runs.

Next time he gets the NPOY (and maybe a few other NBA draft picks) on his team, watch out! Many deep, deep runs coming! We're talking DEEP, man -- regional powerhouse DEEP! Most college coaches just begin to peak around age 70, so we've timed it all pretty much perfectly!

Smart AD is smart.

Last edited:
The Oregon game will always stick in the craw of Iowa fans, and I'm no different. Probably the biggest disappointment of the McCaffery era, although the 14-15 season particularly grates on me, but I'm not sure what McCaffery was supposed to do about his back court having a complete blackout. Eleven points among 6 players is a recipe for defeat. He tried his bench players. Ulis, Perkins and Toussaint all played as many minutes as Connor and Fredrick. And no one on the roster could slow down a white hot Oregon back court (24-36). What was he supposed to do? Restock at the end of the season for his injured players? This game will always be a lowlight in the annals of Iowa Basketball, and although there are differing opinions, I seriously can't put all the blame on McCaffery.
All that said, McCaffery has been given another seven years to make his era at Iowa a memorable, positive one. I hope he implements that plan soon.

Last edited:
I mean.... why wouldn't you think that? But why limit it to two? He's only been coaching here for a little over a decade and already has ..... ZERO... NCAA runs.

Next time he gets the NPOY (and maybe a few other NBA draft picks) on his team, watch out! Many deep, deep runs coming! We're talking DEEP, man -- regional powerhouse DEEP! Most college coaches just begin to peak around age 70, so we've timed it all pretty much perfectly!

Smart AD is smart.
You sound bitter, Fran run over your dog? If you are not a Hawkeye optimist then you are probably never going to be happy following Iowa. Living through the Lick and Alford years made me appreciative for what Fran has done.

Living through the Lick and Alford years made me appreciative for what Fran has done.

Ah yes... the disastrous Alford years. It set us back decades. Never did a clown so richly deserve to be forced out at Iowa.

Steve Alford
8 Seasons
Overall Record: 152-106 (.589)
Big Ten Record: 61-67 (.477)
Big Ten Tournament Record: 13-6 (.684)
Highest Regular Season Finish: 2d Place
Hardware Won: 2x Big Ten Tournament Championship (2001, 2006)

NCAA Appearances: 3

Compare with the "GOAT We Good Over Here" years. Never has a coach so richly deserved infinity extensions (and probably a statue).

Fran McCaffery
11 Seasons
Overall Record: 216-152 (.587)
Big Ten Record: 103-101 (.505)
Big Ten Tournament Record: 5-10 (.333) (smh...)
Highest Regular Season Finish: 3d Place
Hardware won: 2k Tournament (2018) (Google it lol)
NCAA Appearances: 5

What in the absolute F' are you appreciating exactly? Seriously...

When it's all said and done, the base of the statue of Fran should read: "This Man Was Not Todd Lickliter."

Last edited:
Fake fan energy? What are the goats for?
tenor.gif

Ah yes... the disastrous Alford years. It set us back decades. Never did a clown so richly deserve to be forced out at Iowa.

Steve Alford
8 Seasons

Compare with the "GOAT We Good Over Here" years. Never has a coach so richly deserved infinity extensions (and probably a statue).

Fran McCaffery
11 Seasons

When it's all said and done, the base of the statue of Fran should read: "This Man Was Not Todd Lickliter."
Can't really speak for every era of Big Ten ball, but the 2000's were probably the worst period for Big Ten ball overall. There's a reason Wisconsin finished top 4 in the conference a zillion times in a row, but only made it to the elite 8 once under Bo before Kaminsky/Dekker. Michigan (bad). Indiana (average). Ohio St (recovering from sanctions). Purdue (average). Penn St/NW/Minny (Usual awful).

Looking at kenpom, these are what conference ranked overall (only goes back to the 01-02 season unfortunately)

3rd - 06-07
4th - 01-02, 04-05, 05-06
5th - 02-03, 03-04

Now for the past decade

1st - 10-11, 11-12, 12-13, 19-20, 20-21
2nd - 13-14, 18-19
4th - 14-15, 16-17
5th - 15-16, 17-18

If you look even further at the efficiency margins, the best conference year during Alford's tenure would've ranked 7th over Fran's time.

Alford clearly missed an opportunity to take Iowa up a level with a bunch of programs limping.

Completely unsurprising.

I file this one in the "meh" category. It's essentially been a done deal for some time. Despite the lack of any significant NCAA tourney results in 10 years, he's done enough to make Iowa basketball fun to watch(most of the time) and relevant(some of the time). I actually think that in some ways the fact that he followed one of the worst power conference basketball hires in the past 20 years has helped him. While the program had to be dug out of a hole, for some there seems to be an inordinate emphasis placed on that many years later. If you can always count on a sizeable chunk of the fanbase to continually fall back on "at least he's not licklighter" that's a nice thing to have in your back pocket.

I've said it for a few years now, Fran will be here until he wants to retire (barring a scandal). Hopefully we'll see them get to the NCAA tourney more than half the time for the remainder of his tenure. Anything more than that I'd consider gravy.

Steve Alford
8 Seasons

Fran McCaffery
11 Seasons

Some strategic and convenient color coding there

Steve Alford
8 Seasons

Fran McCaffery
11 Seasons

You left out the rapist that Alford stood behind, which greatly divided the Iowa fan base. That was so disastrous it was the beginning of his end at Iowa.

And when UCLA hired Alford? The UCLA fans immediately brought up Pierre Pierce and how Alford handled that situation. Alford's time at UCLA was very short and would be considered disastrous, to say the least.

And you are correct when you wrote that never did a clown so richly deserve to be forced out at Iowa. UCLA fans felt the same way.

Last edited:
You left out the rapist that Alford stood behind, which greatly divided the Iowa fan base. That was so disastrous it was the beginning of his end at Iowa.

And when UCLA hired Alford? The UCLA fans immediately brought up Pierre Pierce and how Alford handled that situation. Alford's time at UCLA was very short and would be considered disastrous, to say the lease.

And you are correct when you wrote that never did a clown so richly deserve to be forced out at Iowa. UCLA fans felt the same way.
I felt like the proverbial boat owner when it came to alford. More happy to see him go than when he was hired. That smug douche earned all the scorn sent his way.

But, I think it's worth expanding the scope of comparison for Fran beyond just the two most recent prior hires who were both terrible for different reasons.

If Fran had any success in post-season play, I would rate him much higher. Strength is his integrity and the character quality of the kids he has recruited. I believe this could have been the year for at least going to the second weekend of the dance without injuries The bottom line is that Fran's teams at Iowa have been pretty good most regular seasons, but very disappointed in the post-season tournament.

Steve Alford
8 Seasons

Fran McCaffery
11 Seasons

Did you even watch Iowa during the Alford years?

Get outta here. Now.

If Fran had any success in post-season play, I would rate him much higher. Strength is his integrity and the character quality of the kids he has recruited. I believe this could have been the year for at least going to the second weekend of the dance without injuries The bottom line is that Fran's teams at Iowa have been pretty good most regular seasons, but very disappointed in the post-season tournament.
Yup, it all depends on how you set and prioritize the criteria. I've always been a proponent of NCAA tourney results as THE prime criteria when it comes to team performance. Give me a middling B1G conference finish any day if it comes with a Sweet 16 or better by the end of the season.
Yes, Fran's character and that in general of the players he brings in is solid and deserves to be acknowledged. But this is a bottom line business. The bottom line is NCAA tourney performance and that has been weak to put it kindly.

Re-color code it anyway you want to. It won't change the fact that alford won more in 8 seasons than Fran has in 11.

....and he was forced out.
ZERO NCAA wins for your champ.
Losing B1G record and it wasn't going to get better if he came back.
Alford was on a downward trajectory. That you think he was better than Iowa's current coach says a lot about you.

Re-color code it anyway you want to. It won't change the fact that alford won more in 8 seasons than Fran has in 11.

....and he was forced out.
Alford's median kenpom rank at Iowa is 57.5. Fran's median kenpom rating is 29th.

The median efficiency margin under Alford was +12.36. It's +17.83 under Fran.

An average Fran Iowa team would be a considerable favorite on a neutral court versus an Alford one. There are 5 Fran teams who would be favored over Iowa's 05-06 team per kenpom.

Say nothing of the improving player quality that has Iowa players actually being considered by the NBA. .

Steve Alford
8 Seasons

Fran McCaffery
11 Seasons

go hop on someone else's wagon. we don't need you here.

You sound bitter, Fran run over your dog? If you are not a Hawkeye optimist then you are probably never going to be happy following Iowa. Living through the Lick and Alford years made me appreciative for what Fran has done.
Yeah that 2 seed with big ten tourney title and reg season runner up in 06 still makes me wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat. Rip lick all you want but Alford era wasn't the dark ages some make it out to be.... pretty comparable to Fran with Steve way better in BTT and Fran better in ncaa

Alford's median kenpom rank at Iowa is 57.5. Fran's median kenpom rating is 29th.

The median efficiency margin under Alford was +12.36. It's +17.83 under Fran.

An average Fran Iowa team would be a considerable favorite on a neutral court versus an Alford one. There are 5 Fran teams who would be favored over Iowa's 05-06 team per kenpom.

Say nothing of the improving player quality that has Iowa players actually being considered by the NBA. .
Yeah, we have recently seen what a complete joke kenpom rankings can be. Alford had a higher winning pct

I need more explanation on this fake fan energy comment. Patrick isn't really that dumb to be trolling fans as his dad enters the post Garza era, is he? Team lost a TON of scoring and have a ton to prove. Shut up and lift some weights, Pat. I like the kid as he actually deserves to play quite a bit but no idea what he meant there

Last edited:
Somebody needs to speak for you because nothing but shit comes out of your mouth.
lol

If basic facts cause you this much psychic pain, you have a problem with reality not me.

Fortunately for you, you're part of a large, undistinguished group so at least you won't be lonely.

Mmmmmm

This fat free vanilla ice cream is the greatest of all time! We good over here!

lol

ZERO NCAA wins for your champ.
Losing B1G record and it wasn't going to get better if he came back.
Alford was on a downward trajectory. That you think he was better than Iowa's current coach says a lot about you.
Hardly surprising but you miss the point.

My point is that Fran's and Alford's results are essentially the same (although alford did win two BTTs) yet one was forced out and is denigrated by fans to this very day as a terrible coach, and the other is extended and celebrated as great.

It's deluded.

Hey, let's talk about UCLA some more. Maybe that will make it seem less deluded. lol

Last edited:
Reactions: HawkGem10
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT