ADVERTISEMENT

My sources tell me Fran will be extended through 2028

Yeah, we have recently seen what a complete joke kenpom rankings can be. Alford had a higher winning pct

I need more explanation on this fake fan energy comment. Patrick isn't really that dumb to be trolling fans as his dad enters the post Garza era, is he? Team lost a TON of scoring and have a ton to prove. Shut up and lift some weights, Pat. I like the kid as he actually deserves to play quite a bit but no idea what he meant there
TIL that conference strength means nothing.

If an argument could be countered by a 4th grader, never mind an adult on the NCAA selection committee, then the argument is flawed.

The fake fan comment is just typical us against the world rhetoric that every athlete uses for motivation. It’s a nothing burger.

Hardly surprising but you miss the point.

My point is that Fran's and Alford's results are essentially the same (although alford did win two BTTs) yet one was forced out and is denigrated by fans to this very day as a terrible coach, and the other is extended and celebrated as great.

It's deluded.

Hey, let's talk about UCLA some more. Maybe that will make it seem less deluded. lol
Don't you think that Alford being forced out had more to do with off the court issues.....issues that Fran doesn't have? Isn't Alford's reputation as an arrogant asshole and his actions that support that a big part of the reason for the fan hate? Alford's team's clearly played better defense (after Neal was added to the staff) and I wish Fran's teams would play better D.....but the off the court stuff is a huge problem for Alford, right?

Don't you think that Alford being forced out had more to do with off the court issues.....issues that Fran doesn't have? Isn't Alford's reputation as an arrogant asshole and his actions that support that a big part of the reason for the fan hate? Alford's team's clearly played better defense (after Neal was added to the staff) and I wish Fran's teams would play better D.....but the off the court stuff is a huge problem for Alford, right?
Good post. I appreciate posters who aren't emotional basket cases.

Clearly, coddling a serial rapist and being a general arrogant asswipe didn't help his cause but had he had Izzo level results, it would have been rationalized. Ultimately, he was forced out because he didn't win enough.

Now we have a guy who hasn't won as much but is essentially celebrated as the savior of iowa basketball. He has a secure fiefdom here apparently including royal descendent rights to iowa athletic scholarships.

Lickliter had the power to warp not only reason and perspective but space and time itself. lol.

Would it have been illogical not to have extended Fran? Yes.

Is his extension some kind of triumph for iowa basketball? Lol No.

We good over here doh....

Last edited:
Good post. I appreciate posters who aren't emotional basket cases.

Clearly, coddling a serial rapist and being a general arrogant asswipe didn't help his cause but had he had Izzo level results, it would have been rationalized. Ultimately, he was forced out because he didn't win enough.

Now we have a guy who hasn't won as much but is essentially celebrated as the savior of iowa basketball. He has a secure fiefdom here apparently including royal descendent rights to iowa athletic scholarships.

Lickliter had the power to warp not only reason and perspective but space and time itself. lol.

Would it have been illogical not to have extended Fran? Yes.

Is his extension some kind of triumph for iowa basketball? Lol No.

We good over here doh....
alford and lickliter, both bad hires but for different reasons.
alford was a douche and completely failed in his handling of the pierce situation. He needed to be gone. Hate to say it, but if he had a final four under his belt I suspect his personal assholery and failed ethics when it comes to player's actions would probably have been overlooked.
lickliter was just plain and simple a disaster.

Fran is a better human being than alford and a better coach than lickliter. No doubt about that. But are those two really the best standard to use for comparison? A terrible, TERRIBLE coach. Arguably one of the worst power conference b-ball hires of the past 20 years. And an asshole with a personality and interaction style that has been a problem for him at Iowa and subsequent stops?

I get your point Raptor. Fran is due credit for what he's done. How about keeping it in some perspective, though.

Classic strawman tactic. Please list any posts that claim McCaffery is the "savior of Iowa Basketball." Myself, I would love to have conference championships and NCAA successes, but admit they haven't regularly occurred under this administration. What has occurred has been a competitive program with a fun style of basketball that has had a modicum of success and is led by an honorable, honest coach. A lot of B1G programs would have loved to have the success that Iowa has had over the past decade.

A lot of B1G programs would have loved to have the success that Iowa has had over the past decade.
Sure,
Minnesota
Northwestern
Penn State
Rutgers
Nebraska

These programs and iowa... Nice company Every other B1G program has actually won something in the past decade.

Tallest midget.

We good over here.

Lol

Reactions: moondog24
ZERO NCAA wins for your champ.
Losing B1G record and it wasn't going to get better if he came back.
Alford was on a downward trajectory. That you think he was better than Iowa's current coach says a lot about you.

Alford had one NCAA win while at Iowa. In his second year. I didn’t mind Stevie Boy, but did feel underwhelmed after he left. I don’t think about SA much these days, but I will check and see how his teams are doing a few times throughout the year. I’ll do the same with Lick. Iowa is in a better spot with Fran than either of those two. I felt SA was starting to figure it out a little, but I think he knew his ship here had sailed.

Sure,
Minnesota
Northwestern
Penn State
Rutgers
Nebraska

These programs and iowa... Nice company Every other B1G program has actually won something in the past decade.

Tallest midget.

We good over here.

Lol
As I pointed out in another thread, McCaffery has actually won more games during his tenure here than the FOUR Illinois coaches.

Look, we get it. Despite your claims otherwise, you hate McCaffery. You make that abundantly clear in practically every post. Why don't you just put "I hate McCaffery and you are all fools for supporting Iowa with him as the coach," as your signature and save yourself some typing? Oh, and make sure you add a lot of "lols," for the thirteen year olds among us.

Alford had one NCAA win while at Iowa. In his second year. I didn’t mind Stevie Boy, but did feel underwhelmed after he left. I don’t think about SA much these days, but I will check and see how his teams are doing a few times throughout the year. I’ll do the same with Lick. Iowa is in a better spot with Fran than either of those two. I felt SA was starting to figure it out a little, but I think he knew his ship here had sailed.
You're right - he did make the round of 32 once.

His arrogance was his undoing more than anything.

Reactions: iahawks10
As I pointed out in another thread, McCaffery has actually won more games during his tenure here than the FOUR Illinois coaches.

Look, we get it. Despite your claims otherwise, you hate McCaffery. You make that abundantly clear in practically every post. Why don't you just put "I hate McCaffery and you are all fools for supporting Iowa with him as the coach," as your signature and save yourself some typing? Oh, and make sure you add a lot of "lols," for the thirteen year olds among us.
lol

Underwood won the most league games last year and has won the most league games over the last two seasons. He's won a B1G Tourney Championship. His highest regular season finish is second place. His team earned a number 1 seed last year.

He's been at Illinois 4 seasons.

Fran hasn't done a single one of those things in 11 seasons here.

Your cited "accomplishment" breaks down to Fran winning exactly one more game on average per season than a program (Illinois) going through the worst ten year run in its history. I know you probably meant well, but that is much more of an indictment of Fran's career here than anything.

You should probably retire that talking point, old sport. lol. In any event you'll likely only be able to claim it for another season.

Just because I state facts doesn't mean I hate Fran. The facts are not good for him. Not my fault.

Stay mad. It amuses me.

lol
lol
lol

Last edited:
I’m not a Fran guy but at least he hasn’t been nearly the angry / raging lunatic that he used to be. I think he’s a poor coach and expect this team to be worse without the players that left the program… but people here will ask if I’d prefer the Lick years again, as if that’s really the alternative…

Reactions: Raptorpeeps
I’m not a Fran guy but at least he hasn’t been nearly the angry / raging lunatic that he used to be. I think he’s a poor coach and expect this team to be worse without the players that left the program… but people here will ask if I’d prefer the Lick years again, as if that’s really the alternative…
There’s some logic I don’t understand here…you believe he’s a “poor coach” and yet he’s winning and had a team ranked in the top 10 most of last year. He just had two of his players drafted in the second round (only a select number of schools did that this year). He accomplished these things while running a clean program and has an outstanding track record of good students and good citizens on his teams. How many “poor coaches” even make it to the level of being a B10 head coach?

Obviously losing NBA players and other high quality transfers (Nunge & CJ) can cause a dip in how good a team will be….but the potential for these young guys will be very exciting to watch development over the next couple of seasons.

I haven’t heard anyone claim Fran is the second coming of Coach K…. But poor is not accurate in my opinion.

lol

Underwood won the most league games last year and has won the most league games over the last two seasons. He's won a B1G Tourney Championship. His highest regular season finish is second place. His team earned a number 1 seed last year.

He's been at Illinois 4 seasons.

Fran hasn't done a single one of those things in 11 seasons here.

Your cited "accomplishment" breaks down to Fran winning exactly one more game on average per season than a program (Illinois) going through the worst ten year run in its history. I know you probably meant well, but that is much more of an indictment of Fran's career here than anything.

You should probably retire that talking point, old sport. lol. In any event you'll likely only be able to claim it for another season.

Just because I state facts doesn't mean I hate Fran. The facts are not good for him. Not my fault.

Stay mad. It amuses me.

lol
lol
lol
I don't understand why you put yourself through all this so-called misery. Maybe do us all (you included) a favor and find a new team? Why do you waste so much of your life arguing about this? It's really pathetic

There’s some logic I don’t understand here…you believe he’s a “poor coach” and yet he’s winning and had a team ranked in the top 10 most of last year. He just had two of his players drafted in the second round (only a select number of schools did that this year). He accomplished these things while running a clean program and has an outstanding track record of good students and good citizens on his teams. How many “poor coaches” even make it to the level of being a B10 head coach?

Obviously losing NBA players and other high quality transfers (Nunge & CJ) can cause a dip in how good a team will be….but the potential for these young guys will be very exciting to watch development over the next couple of seasons.

I haven’t heard anyone claim Fran is the second coming of Coach K…. But poor is not accurate in my opinion.

in my opinion, he has the same weaknesses every year - lack of guards that are true difference-makers, and a lack of defensive intensity. Also terrible use of time outs and virtually no late-game strategy.

I also think his distribution of minutes is consistently poor. We all see that guys like Ke Murray deserve as much PT as possible but yet he didn’t get those minutes. Others like Connor don’t deserve their minutes.

a final criticism would be his insistence to play up-tempo with a cast of characters that don’t fit that style. It can be entertaining, but is it the best style for the team to excel?

We just had the NPOY and another 2nd round draft pick. What is this past season memorable for? Nothing… sadly.

in my opinion, he has the same weaknesses every year - lack of guards that are true difference-makers, and a lack of defensive intensity. Also terrible use of time outs and virtually no late-game strategy.

I also think his distribution of minutes is consistently poor. We all see that guys like Ke Murray deserve as much PT as possible but yet he didn’t get those minutes. Others like Connor don’t deserve their minutes.

a final criticism would be his insistence to play up-tempo with a cast of characters that don’t fit that style. It can be entertaining, but is it the best style for the team to excel?

We just had the NPOY and another 2nd round draft pick. What is this past season memorable for? Nothing… sadly.
I don’t get all the negativity….NO coach is perfect. We (WE-The Iowa Hawkeyes) had the NPOY….we were one of a limited number of schools that had two NBA draft picks….top 10 most of the year.

Then your complaint is about up-tempo and not having the players to do it….? What do you think this team is for this up coming season?

I am disappointed in our finish this last year….I wish we consistently played good defense…two negatives…but some Fran teams have played good defense and next year’s team has the athletic ability to do that…

Distribution of minutes….he didn’t appear to do a good job of that 3 years ago but the last two were good. I disagree with the criticism on Murray’s minutes….he played more than other reserves and played more than the coaches son who has been in the program longer…he played behind two NBA draftees.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jonnymungo

I completely disagree with every point you have made. I cannot believe you believe what you are writing.

Fran's biggest accomplishment so far "He's not Lickliter". Had he replaced Tom Davis, the reaction to his lack of Big 10 or NCAA Tournament success would probably be more negative but he gets a pass cause the guy before was in over his head. Davis, at best, was average to slightly above average with a style of play that usually meant 1 or 2 wins in the NCAA Tournament. Obviously the last really good coach Iowa had was Lute and he was relatively early in his career when he was at Iowa. He became a Hall of Famer after resurrecting the Arizona program and building it into a consistent Top Tier Program. Sadly it has fallen on under Miller.

Reactions: Raptorpeeps
Two NBA players, one national player of the year and he wins exactly one-in-a-row in the NCAA tournament.

the door is what he should be offered.

• Haha
Reactions: perryhawk

Texas had 3 guys drafted and lost in the first round of the tourney.

Has their coach been there forever and established a track record of the same story every year?
Shaka had been there for 6 years…with all of the resources of the University of Texas, high level recruiting, and proven coaching success at VCU…he wasn’t able to get it done and fled to Marquette.

That kind of encapsulates exactly what the issues are…...there are NO guarantees when it comes to coaching success. There are multiple factors that interfere with the path to consistently winning at the highest levels like Duke and Kentucky and even they have their failures.

Reactions: Ronman and iafan44
Has their coach been there forever and established a track record of the same story every year?
He was there 6 years and had 3 guys drafted off a team that didn't win an ncaa game this past season. Pretty sure another team had 2 guys drafted and didn't make the sweet 16 either.

If McCaffery were to decide to play some version of slow ball, I would want him gone in an instant. We endured that with the last coach and I don't know a single fan that wanted him retained. McCaffery's decision to play that style of ball is one of the big PLUSES in his favor in my mind.

If McCaffery were to decide to play some version of slow ball, I would want him gone in an instant. We endured that with the last coach and I don't know a single fan that wanted him retained. McCaffery's decision to play that style of ball is one of the big PLUSES in his favor in my mind.
It's not illogical -- if you are never going to win anything anyway, better to do that playing an entertaining brand of basketball .... I guess...

It is a false choice though.

Would I be happier winning a conference championship playing slow and ugly? You bet your ass I would. Much.

I guess I just don't see the entertainment in watching a program play for 43 years and never win a regular season conference title. I don't get watching a program play for 23 years without ever making a sweet sixteen.

I love watching great players like Luka and Weiskamp etc. But the point of having these great players is to ACTUALLY WIN SOMETHING with them. Great moments only go so far for so long.

Coaches hired here should be hired to ACTUALLY WIN SOMETHING. If they can't do that within a reasonable time frame, we should be looking for someone who can.

I mean...that is the goal here, right? Or have we become a check collector program?

“Would I be happier winning a conference championship playing slow and ugly? You bet your ass I would. Much. “
Not me, I can’t stand watching Wisconsin basketball. Ugh !!!!

“Would I be happier winning a conference championship playing slow and ugly? You bet your ass I would. Much. “
Not me, I can’t stand watching Wisconsin basketball. Ugh !!!!
I guess we need to start hanging the "We Play More Exciting Offense Than Wisconsin" banner annually.

Just my preference of play to watch as opposed to running the picket fence and watching paint dry

Iowa fan: We play a more exciting brand of offense than you do.

Wisconsin fan: Neato. Since the last time Iowa won a regular season Big Ten Championship, we've won 5 of them, and since the last time Iowa went to the sweet sixteen, we've been to 10 of them, plus 4 elite eights and 3 final fours.

Iowa fan: I'd rather play an entertaining brand of offense than do any of those things.

Wisconsin fan: lol

Iowa fan: We play a more exciting brand of offense than you do.

Wisconsin fan: Neato. Since the last time Iowa won a regular season Big Ten Championship, we've won 5 of them, and since the last time Iowa went to the sweet sixteen, we've been to 10 of them, plus 4 elite eights and 3 final fours.

Iowa fan: I'd rather play an entertaining brand of offense than do any of those things.

Wisconsin fan: lol
So become a wisconsin fan

It's not illogical -- if you are never going to win anything anyway, better to do that playing an entertaining brand of basketball .... I guess...

It is a false choice though.

Would I be happier winning a conference championship playing slow and ugly? You bet your ass I would. Much.

I guess I just don't see the entertainment in watching a program play for 43 years and never win a regular season conference title. I don't get watching a program play for 23 years without ever making a sweet sixteen.

I love watching great players like Luka and Weiskamp etc. But the point of having these great players is to ACTUALLY WIN SOMETHING with them. Great moments only go so far for so long.

Coaches hired here should be hired to ACTUALLY WIN SOMETHING. If they can't do that within a reasonable time frame, we should be looking for someone who can.

I mean...that is the goal here, right? Or have we become a check collector program?
You're presenting the false choice. We tried playing slow ball and didn't win anything. Not many coaches are willing to attempt it, much less be successful at it. If it was such a simple solution, every school would be playing that way.
You're so smart, who would you hire after firing McCaffery? I'd bet it wouldn't be a slow ball advocate

Ah yes... the disastrous Alford years. It set us back decades. Never did a clown so richly deserve to be forced out at Iowa.

Steve Alford
8 Seasons
Overall Record: 152-106 (.589)
Big Ten Record: 61-67 (.477)
Big Ten Tournament Record: 13-6 (.684)
Highest Regular Season Finish: 2d Place
Hardware Won: 2x Big Ten Tournament Championship (2001, 2006)

NCAA Appearances: 3

Compare with the "GOAT We Good Over Here" years. Never has a coach so richly deserved infinity extensions (and probably a statue).

Fran McCaffery
11 Seasons
Overall Record: 216-152 (.587)
Big Ten Record: 103-101 (.505)
Big Ten Tournament Record: 5-10 (.333) (smh...)
Highest Regular Season Finish: 3d Place
Hardware won: 2k Tournament (2018) (Google it lol)
NCAA Appearances: 5

What in the absolute F' are you appreciating exactly? Seriously...

When it's all said and done, the base of the statue of Fran should read: "This Man Was Not Todd Lickliter."
Fran resume is better outside of the Tourny championships that Alfraud's players pulled out of their asses. Keep in mind the teams each coach took over to begin with at Iowa. Fran was left a horrible team and he still has a better B1G record than old feathered hair.

ADVERTISEMENT