ADVERTISEMENT

My Toughest Opponent: Depression - by Sean Welsh

It's great that he shared this with the rest of the world - hopefully it will inspire others to get the help that they so desperately need (and deserve). For others, hopefully it is another important piece in helping to destigmatize something like depression. Too often people marginalize something like depression as if it's simply a reflection of individual weakness. Kudos to Welsh and his entire support network - I'm happy to see that he's up to battling the challenges that depression presents him with.

That's one hell of a read. As someone that dealt with severe depression in my early 20's, one of the hardest things I had to do was finally talk to my parents about it after not doing so well in school. Awesome to know that he's doing much better.

Really good job by Sean. As someone who also battles depression bc it runs in the family, I really relate to what he had to say. Glad he is in a much better place now and that he had the courage to write about it to try and help others.

Reactions: Ree4 and McLovin32
It takes a very strong and courageous person to come forward and address this problem in a public forum. This says a great deal about the content of Sean's character to share his affliction in the hopes of helping others who suffer with depression.Kudos to you Sean for your bold actions concerning this national problem.

Have a new favorite Hawkeye this season. My father suffered with it for a while but has had it under control for 30+ years with medication. Have a teenage daughter that just started showing symptoms last year, and she is good now also. I can relate

Go Sean!

Reactions: McLovin32
Keep battling big guy! Great steps to not only acknowledge the situation but to get and seek help. It takes a lot to that and it will help you and others that follow you win this battle!

It takes a very strong and courageous person to come forward and address this problem in a public forum. This says a great deal about the content of Sean's character to share his affliction in the hopes of helping others who suffer with depression.Kudos to you Sean for your bold actions concerning this national problem.
I agree 100%. But I also think it says a lot about this coaching staff and how they dealt with it. Too many times I'm guessing kids in situations s like this are kicked to the curb because they're just not tough enough or they get called Soft or whatever.

As a former coach I was a bit old school on some things. But I'd like to think I dealt with players personal issues in a compassionate way because you just never know what someone is going through internally.

One of my family members has been having problems and it certainly is present in other extended family members and Welsh coming out and talking about this kind of helped me in a way.

Too many of us always associate things like this with weakness and it's good to see that it's starting to be looked upon differently.

Depression/anxiety/etc is very common. Kudos to Welsh for being man enough to admit it to the world.

Nothing to be ashamed of and the more people talk about it the better.

It's great that he shared this with the rest of the world - hopefully it will inspire others to get the help that they so desperately need (and deserve). For others, hopefully it is another important piece in helping to destigmatize something like depression. Too often people marginalize something like depression as if it's simply a reflection of individual weakness. Kudos to Welsh and his entire support network - I'm happy to see that he's up to battling the challenges that depression presents him with.
Hopefully the"hope that is desperately needed and deserved" will be more available, esp. in Iowa. Shortage of professionals in the state for help with mental illness. Speaking as a relative of someone who got help, and will continue to need it and found it not so easy to find.

It takes a real man to do what he did as depression isn't something anyone asks for and you can be the biggest baddest man on the planet but depression is no match as it can tear a grown man down without the proper help it can kill you.. hats off to him for coming out and talking about this

One of the best reads in a long time. Powerful statement by Sean regarding one of the most debilitating psychological and emotional challenges a person can experience. Too often our culture minimizes the impact depression has and use comments like 'get over it", or "it's a sign of weakness", etc. Thankfully, Sean, and others, have local resources available to intervene and provide the support necessary to make life changing improvements.
I've lived with family and have friends who have had extensive long term depression. They are embarrassed, struggle with jobs and careers, have relationships issues, etc. In the past it was common to deny the problem and try to hide their symptoms.
I wish Sean success as he works to address his depression and hope he will continue to speak out about his depression.
Thank you Sean. Best wishes for a successful Hawk season, but most important, good luck with the bigger battle you are facing head on.

One of the best reads in a long time. Powerful statement by Sean regarding one of the most debilitating psychological and emotional challenges a person can experience. Too often our culture minimizes the impact depression has and use comments like 'get over it", or "it's a sign of weakness", etc. Thankfully, Sean, and others, have local resources available to intervene and provide the support necessary to make life changing improvements.
I've lived with family and have friends who have had extensive long term depression. They are embarrassed, struggle with jobs and careers, have relationships issues, etc. In the past it was common to deny the problem and try to hide their symptoms.
I wish Sean success as he works to address his depression and hope he will continue to speak out about his depression.
Thank you Sean. Best wishes for a successful Hawk season, but most important, good luck with the bigger battle you are facing head on.
Very well said.

ADVERTISEMENT