ADVERTISEMENT

My transition plan for Kirk

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
Let's say Kirk has a two year window. Kirk and Barta should make a call to Matt Ruhle. He has a BIG pedigree from Penn State, has OC and QB coaching experience. Success at Temple and Baylor as a HC.

Iowa's pitch, Matt we know you are owed $9M per year by Carolina unless you get another gig. Then they make up the difference.

Kirk is going to be retiring in 2 years. We would like you to join us as assoc. head coach, OC and QB coach. You will run your offense with no interference. Package is $2M a year from us and $7M from the Panthers, that way you sting them a bit for not keeping you for a longer term. When Kirk retires your new deal is seven years at $10M per year.

I know it would never happen because Barta's not an out of the box thinker. We need to have a transition strategy and Brian isn't it.

Not a big fan of "transition plans". Having a HC and a HC in waiting is probably not a healthy scenario.

Now, if KF rides off into the sunset at the end of the year, Matt Ruhle would be a fine candidate.

Barta should be talking to him.

But, I don't think this is how things will unfold either.

Disagree with Ruhle being a Hawkeye coach. Where has he stayed long enough to see if the grass isn’t greener over there kinda coach?
I'd be thrilled to be his "stepping stone" if it got us a conference championship, playoff appearance and/or NY6 bowl game win or two in his 3-4 years here along the way. Not every head coach at Iowa has to be here 20+ years (although it would be awesome to have the 47 yo Rhule here for the long term).

I'm really hoping he decides to take a year off before returning to coaching, because if he wants to be a college head coach in '23 he'll have a job, if not with Auburn maybe one of our B1G rivals (i.e. Wisc, Neb).

I don't picture KF coaching after '23 - he's just going through the motions at this point, isn't interested in the college world we have now involving the transfer portal and NIL, and he sure as heck ain't gonna like the B1G doing away with division when the West Coast teams are added, where KF has no interest in traveling to. MR would be an absolute grand-slam hire as HC if he stays on the market that long.

Reactions: Capital1Hawk
Let's say Kirk has a two year window. Kirk and Barta should make a call to Matt Ruhle. He has a BIG pedigree from Penn State, has OC and QB coaching experience. Success at Temple and Baylor as a HC.

Iowa's pitch, Matt we know you are owed $9M per year by Carolina unless you get another gig. Then they make up the difference.

Kirk is going to be retiring in 2 years. We would like you to join us as assoc. head coach, OC and QB coach. You will run your offense with no interference. Package is $2M a year from us and $7M from the Panthers, that way you sting them a bit for not keeping you for a longer term. When Kirk retires your new deal is seven years at $10M per year.

I know it would never happen because Barta's not an out of the box thinker. We need to have a transition strategy and Brian isn't it.
If you want MR on the Iowa coaching staff so bad, you might want to learn how to spell his name.

• Haha
Reactions: frydaze
Nice to dream.
Obviously won't happen because:

1. Barta is not smart or brave enough to do it.
2. Even if Barta tried it, Kirk would tell him no.

Ain't gonna happen.
I know, just spit balling for a creative option.

FWIW, I would start with Barta. Kirk's contract with a $42M buyout is ridiculous. Shows Barta couldn't negotiate his way out of a wet paper bag and is lazy. U of I's President and board of regents are PP leaders for allowing that to happen. Giving our current U of I president a pass, I do not think she was at Iowa when that went down.

I like Kirk, have met him several times. Great person. Have been a long time supporter of him and his staff. Questioned him hiring Brian as TE coach, and certainly was not a fan of his promotion to OC. Nepotism at a public institution should not be allowed. Alfraud hiring his Dad was another example, terrible hire.

I retired at 61 as president of several companies. I walked away from a lucrative salary and options because I felt I did not have enough gas in the tank to give the position the energy required. I know your mental faculties start to slip. Great decision, no Covid or personnel issues to deal with. Probably added a few years to my life.

I will hate to see Kirk leave, Brian - not so much.

Nice to dream.
Obviously won't happen because:

1. Barta is not smart or brave enough to do it.
2. Even if Barta tried it, Kirk would tell him no.
I do believe KF is going to milk this millon dollars payday to the end, and nothing can be done about it. at least through Bartas eyes

That callout of Mr. Perfect instantly reminded me of Mr. Perfect from WWE, well done. Didn't he do a move called the Perfect Plex?

I don't think there is any way in hell KF is walking away from 7 million a year unless he is forced out and that would mean Barta would have to retire first. If this season gets real bad he will be motivated to have another "told ya so" season like 2015 and will stick around as long as he needs to to make it happen. He's probably never going to get a schedule nearly as favorable as 2015 though. Last year was close

His ego and his sense of self and family preservation are the priority, Brian never would have been given OC/QB duties if that wasn't the case. Hopefully the line is much better as they become upper classmen these next 2 years, this archaic offense can be good enough if that's the case given the defense remains really good. Hopefully Phil doesn't get sick of this BS in the meantime

I do believe KF is going to milk this millon dollars payday to the end, and nothing can be done about it. at least through Bartas eyes
I don't see that happening. Kirk is a high character guy. I don't think he rides out his contract. He's old, I'm sure his plan was to have a nice run and hand off prior to retiring. If he does hold on and nothing changes then I can see a negotiated early settlement to retire. Barta needs to grow a set of balls though. He needs fired yesterday.

I don't see that happening. Kirk is a high character guy. I don't think he rides out his contract. He's old, I'm sure his plan was to have a nice run and hand off prior to retiring. If he does hold on and nothing changes then I can see a negotiated early settlement to retire. Barta needs to grow a set of balls though. He needs fired yesterday.
Kirk won't hold this university hostage- he has dignity and he has pride. When it's time to go everyone will know it and there will be a very realistic settlement that all parties can be happy with.

Reactions: Capital1Hawk
Typo, I had Rhule initially. But thanks for the auto correction, Mr. Perfect.
R.b4375bd5975b0931675f7e933586b3e2

Let me know where to send the autograph.

Reactions: BigOHawk
The problem is that if KF ever rode off into the sunset, Jaws quits getting his cut....I SWEAR TO GOD there has to be some kind of deal set up between the two....NO WAY an AD would continue to have his name dragged through the mud without somehow getting a cut....the disparacy between their salaries is WAY too big for something shady not to to be going on. When KF is finally gone, he needs to have ZERO say in all and anything Iowa football....ZERO!!!

Kirk won't hold this university hostage- he has dignity and he has pride. When it's time to go everyone will know it and there will be a very realistic settlement that all parties can be happy with.
hahahahahaha.....hahahahaha.....really????

Right. And that’s the fundamental problem with Iowa football: nothing changes.
I’m living in the worst of two worlds. They operate much like my Steelers. Tomlin knows he won’t be fired so it gives him plenty of leeway. Rough times in the household when your college and pro teams both stink.

• Haha
I’m living in the worst of two worlds. They operate much like my Steelers. Tomlin knows he won’t be fired so it gives him plenty of leeway. Rough times in the household when your college and pro teams both stink.
You think that's bad, last weekend was a trifecta for me. Cards get knocked out. Hawks lost, then the Packers lost in England. I was lower than a snakes belly on Sunday night.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT