ADVERTISEMENT

My turn for an "Am I the a---hole?" thread . . .

Hahaha... the janitor is trolling you.

I would just steal someone else's trash can that has a liner.

Given my reputation, I should have put "IN THIS PARTICULAR INSTANCE" in the headline.

Because, yeah, in general, I am proud of my assholery. :)
I was gonna say obvious answer is obvious but you beat me to it.

However, in this case…no.

No
We have a janitor where I work who comes into everyone's offices late in the afternoon to empty garbage cans, etc.

About two weeks ago, I came into my office in the morning and noticed that although he had emptied the can, he had not put in a new plastic liner. We don't have access to the custodial supply area during the day, so I was unable to replace it myself (which I'd totally do, I'm not some snob who thinks I'm too good for that). So I made sure to dump any food stuff, used kleenex or anything else that might be wet, odorous or gross into the lined garbage bag in the breakroom instead, not wanting to make my can gross. When I saw the janitor that evening, I politely said "Hey, can you make sure the liner gets replaced in my garbage can in the future, so I can use it for food/kleenex etc.?" He said sure, and it was good.

Last week, it happened again. Came in in the morning, can emptied, but no liner. Once again, I did not put anything gross/wet/etc. into the can. Once again asked him to PLEASE make sure to replace the liner.

So then this morning, once again -- can emptied, no liner. So today, I said f---k it and have been putting dirty kleenex, an empty yogurt cup and other crap in it. I know it's going to make extra work for him but it's really his fault for not completing the simple task of replacing the liner, right? I figure if he can't learn from me politely asking, I have no other option to go to other the "tough love" route.

So, HORT, I ask: AITA?
No, let’s see what he does if there is residue left in the can after he empties it without the liner. You are not being an A-hole.

We have a janitor where I work who comes into everyone's offices late in the afternoon to empty garbage cans, etc.

About two weeks ago, I came into my office in the morning and noticed that although he had emptied the can, he had not put in a new plastic liner. We don't have access to the custodial supply area during the day, so I was unable to replace it myself (which I'd totally do, I'm not some snob who thinks I'm too good for that). So I made sure to dump any food stuff, used kleenex or anything else that might be wet, odorous or gross into the lined garbage bag in the breakroom instead, not wanting to make my can gross. When I saw the janitor that evening, I politely said "Hey, can you make sure the liner gets replaced in my garbage can in the future, so I can use it for food/kleenex etc.?" He said sure, and it was good.

Last week, it happened again. Came in in the morning, can emptied, but no liner. Once again, I did not put anything gross/wet/etc. into the can. Once again asked him to PLEASE make sure to replace the liner.

So then this morning, once again -- can emptied, no liner. So today, I said f---k it and have been putting dirty kleenex, an empty yogurt cup and other crap in it. I know it's going to make extra work for him but it's really his fault for not completing the simple task of replacing the liner, right? I figure if he can't learn from me politely asking, I have no other option to go to other the "tough love" route.

Is your office open tomorrow? If not, Friday doesn't seem like a good day to test your theory that the janitor will wipe out your trash can!

Perhaps this is his subtle message to you that you need to got some steps in and his only means to do so is to force you to walk to the break room to discard your perishables.

This one is easy, the janitor is the asshole.
The janitor is displaying passive aggressive behavior by "taking" something away which speaks volumes about the man. What happened, is mister man of the "people" Torbs, was gracing the lowly help with his presence and referred to John Longdicke as the head janitor, rather than his newly achieved promotion to Porter. Unbeknownst to torbee, that job description change and accompanying quarter an hour raise had brought John D great joy, until being disrespected by Torbee.

To exact his revenge, John Longdicke stayed awake during the day and started showing up at Mrs Torbee's favorite places ( Torbee doesn't lock his computer apparently dumbass). At first, it was flirting, then came friendship, then sexy time. The days @torbee has no garbage bag is John's message that he raw dogged the Mrs. Now that @torbee has escalated the conflict to throwing used dairy products in the trashbin, I am fearful to think what type of yogurt will be left in torbees work space

TLDR, the janitor is the asshole because he started having relations with torbees wife

• Haha
Reactions: Tenacious E
This one is easy, the janitor is the asshole.
The janitor is displaying passive aggressive behavior by "taking" something away which speaks volumes about the man. What happened, is mister man of the "people" Torbs, was gracing the lowly help with his presence and referred to John Longdicke as the head janitor, rather than his newly achieved promotion to Porter. Unbeknownst to torbee, that job description change and accompanying quarter an hour raise had brought John D great joy, until being disrespected by Torbee.

To exact his revenge, John Longdicke stayed awake during the day and started showing up at Mrs Torbee's favorite places ( Torbee doesn't lock his computer apparently dumbass). At first, it was flirting, then came friendship, then sexy time. The days @torbee has no garbage bag is John's message that he raw dogged the Mrs. Now that @torbee has escalated the conflict to throwing used dairy products in the trashbin, I am fearful to think what type of yogurt will be left in torbees work space

TLDR, the janitor is the asshole because he started having relations with torbees wife
I can’t argue with this kind of logic.

I am curious of Torbee’s relationship with the cleaning crew. Maybe he doesn’t see them often, so there is no chance to build a relationship.

I always see environmental services and make it a point to get to know them if I can.

I am curious of Torbee’s relationship with the cleaning crew. Maybe he doesn’t see them often, so there is no chance to build a relationship.

I always see environmental services and make it a point to get to know them if I can.
No, I talk to the guy for a couple minutes every night! That’s part of why it’s so odd to me.

If a trash bag is going to make or break your day go buy a 2 dollar roll and do it yourself.
I'd just ask him where liners are real quick while you've got him there, ask to grab 10 of them and store them in your bottom drawer. Maybe that will provide the add'l kick in the arse to get it done next time.
These are the options I would consider. Like someone else suggested, don't want to get on the custodial staff's bad side. Sounds like you're on decent terms with the dude; he's probably just trolling you. I know our custodians put like 5 liners in our cans at a time so they don't have to replace them every day; maybe do that.

Reactions: torbee
I’m just trying to think of any time I had a liner in my trash can in my office. I don’t think I ever have had one. I just don’t generate nasty waste sitting at my desk.

Bless your heart.

What are you doing in that cubicle that you go through so much Kleenex?

I would escalate the issue and take a shit in there. If co workers say anything, tell them the janitor took a dump in retaliation.

more than likely they will give him props for shitting in the office asshole's garbage can. But there might be like a 5 percent chance he gets canned. That will show him

I think that's the main thing is seeing if he's forgetting other cans. That does suck and is odd. I'm super passive aggressive so Id probably leave a sticky note on the can after asking as many times as you have.

That's the weird thing, the guy talks to me a lot, seems super friendly. Tells me about his family, etc.

Maybe this is his weird way of flirting?
So he's enjoying the conversation bit doesn't want to put it in the can?

Yeah you may be on to something here...

1. It’s an office not a cubicle.

2. Read entire thread.
863w.gif

No, I talk to the guy for a couple minutes every night! That’s part of why it’s so odd to me.
Maybe he doesn’t want to talk to you and is doing this to piss you off to get you to stop talking to him.

Grab some extra liners or roll of them, throw in the bottom of the can under the liner in use so you will always have should you need and quit being such an asshole by talking to him all the time. The guy clearly wants to work w/o being bothered. What a douche.

He probably sees your posts on HROT and thinks "This guy is a real asshole."

He probably enjoys that your can will have crud in it and smell all day.

You talk to him while he doesn’t do his job? So a double middle finger, I don’t respect you and your overinflated opinion of yourself.

pretty sold f u from the janitor.

I can read between the lines here: Yes, Torbee it is ok to poop in the garbage can after two verbal asks.

That or steal some liners from another garbage can before anyone notices.

Why don’t you just swap your waste bin for someone else’s and make it their problem? But I’m sure if you’re the same fine gentleman in the office you are here, the janitor is just doing God’s work.

It's bad enough when a "professional" has failed out of the private sector. I can't imagine what this poor guy has done wrong to be resigned to be a janitor for these failures.

Uhhh when you see him just grab some liners from him. Make a point of saying he must have missed it the last couple times. OR just throw trash on the ground - Ron Burgandy style.

7faf17ed-efc5-44a9-a40d-099eaafac5f8_text.gif

Reactions: torbee
Maybe he doesn’t want to talk to you and is doing this to piss you off to get you to stop talking to him.

Grab some extra liners or roll of them, throw in the bottom of the can under the liner in use so you will always have should you need and quit being such an asshole by talking to him all the time. The guy clearly wants to work w/o being bothered. What a douche.
This is the answer. Our janitors put a whole roll in a of the cans. When they pull the full bag out they have to tear it away from the roll. The next one is ready to open and wrap around the edges of the can. Then they don't have to carry new liners around.

I often pull it myself when they come in and tie the bag closed and have it ready for them. Then install the next one myself. I've been a janitor in my life so while we have had a few I didn't care for (including the current one) I also try to be friendly and decent to them.

I would buy my own trash can liners because cleanliness guarantees peace of mind.

I see they sprang for the nice carpet. The drywall looks like some crater faced 16 year old.

ADVERTISEMENT