ADVERTISEMENT

My Wishes for Iowa Football for 2023

You guys are mad crazy thinking Woods would be the best next head coach.

Don't get me wrong, he seems to be doing a great job.

But in the history of histories, you don't go from Special Teams Coordinator to Head Coach!
He also needs to work for more than one HC as he has. Right now scary thought that he’s only worked for Kirk.

Some people here think we are Upper Iowa and not a Power 5 B1G school who should have a higher bar.

• Haha
Reactions: BXY
I love our fan base, Brian has too little experience to be O-coordinator, but let's hire Woods as our HC.

Don't get me wrong, Coach woods has been outstanding coaching Special Teams. He will get his chance to take the next step.

I don’t know that I’d hate it, at least if our first couple choices were to say no; but agreed, Iowa is a good enough program that he shouldn’t be the first name on the list.

I’d absolutely want to interview him and give him a chance however.

Reactions: Bishop1971
You guys are mad crazy thinking Woods would be the best next head coach.

Don't get me wrong, he seems to be doing a great job.

But in the history of histories, you don't go from Special Teams Coordinator to Head Coach!

For the most part I agree, tho I’d add he has held other jobs on the staff and done well there as well. I do think he at least warrants an interview however.

Why? I don't know that I disagree - if only because it's just gotten so toxic with him; but if he was willing to be the OL coach I would be okay with that.
I used to think that oline coach/asst HC might be our way out of this but we probably couldn't land a good OC with that much hanging over his head. I think Brian just needs to go at this point. Too much stink associated with him right now.

We won't play both of them. Divisions go away. The first year we might not play either of them.
No way we miss both of them first year, and I think the chance of us playing both are good.

It makes total sense that they would spread the schedule out evenly, with the West Coast teams playing a total of 18 games against 14 opponents, with 10 current B1G teams get one of the two and 4 getting both. I have a feeling that the teams getting both will be teams on the western side of the footprint, to make travel easier that first year.

I agree with @SA_Hawk that KF will hang it up before then. I think the only thing he hates more than NIL and the transfer portal are West Coast games. Makes little sense for him deal with all that when it would be so easy to walk away with his family already set for life several times over.

Not sure Iowa needs to completely abandon the pro-style offense, but the scheme needs to evolve. No reason we can't successfully model an offense off of what Michigan does.
Can we really still say we are running a pro style offense? Even the NFL is transitioning to highly mobile QBs with a pass heavy offense. Buffalo, KC, Philly.

Can we really still say we are running a pro style offense? Even the NFL is transitioning to highly mobile QBs with a pass heavy offense. Buffalo, KC, Philly.

I think it’s still possible to operate a run-heavy, ball control type offense (Baltimore, San Francisco, etc) but the scheme needs to be upgraded. The zone blocking concepts need to evolve simply because of how they are calling penalties for cut blocks. The passing game likewise needs better concepts. Having a mobile quarterback, even if a pass-first guy would be ideal.

I would give anything for them to turn it around so he can ride off on a high note; sadly most great coaches seem to leave a year too late.
And yet, all Brian has to do is respect his Dad's program enough to resign at the end of this season, then Kirk would need to find an OC that he would trust handing over the O too. Barta could make sure it was fully funded. Then he would be able to recruit an excellent OC with an attractive, more modern Offensive Philosophy (and yes Kirk, one with a solid runing attack component) that better showcases explosive talent, helping recruiting (including the transfer portal), someone who has proven record turning offenses around, who would be in line for the HC job for an upper tier B1G program in the next couple years, allowing Kirk to fix all his problems in one fell swoop and then retire in a few years leaving the Iowa Hawkeye Program much better then he found it. I think there are some OCs out there that we could entice to do this, if Kirk wanted to do it.

Think of it, Brian sets the need for this in motion. Kirk could then end his career by winning another Division crown, maybe even win the B1G Championship with a top 25 Offense and top 10 Defense, even the CFP in sight. I would think Parker would love this too.

Hell, for Kirk this would be a hell of lot more exciting and fulfilling than the last few years have been. He has friends in the business who know how to do this and could steer him in the right direction while respecting him for doing it.

Kirk gave Brian every shot and advantage a father could give his Son. And Brian has learned so much (a lot of this is not his fault). Brian is a young man that with his experience, could easily find a new challenge, something he can call his own. I honestly wish that this was not necessary, but things have gotten so toxic, I am feeling that even winning out the the next 4 or 5 games does not not make the negative National attention and criticism go away.

Last edited:
"Great"? Evy and Hayden were great coaches. KF was a successful coach almost entirely in spite of himself. His success belongs almost entirely to Norm and Phil Parker. If KF had been smart enough and humble enough to hire OCs and let them run the offense with the same freedom that Norm and Phil ran the defense, he might have been great. But he didn't. So he wasn't. And no one should utter KF's name in the same breath as those of Evy and Hayden.

And those who suggest Ferentz has earned the right to leave on his own terms are naïve. When you are no longer doing your job, you should be shown the door. But, of course, there's that utterly ridiculous buyout that no one in his right mind would give anyone, let alone someone in KF's situation and at KF's age. Barta has been guilty of multiple transgressions that should have led to his firing too, but there's something weird going on in Iowa City. A job in the Iowa Athletic Department has greater job security than a spot on the US Supreme Court. I wonder why both institutions are struggling mightily.
So....anything that works is letting the assistants do what they want, if it doesn't work it's KF holding them under his thumb. Wow some of you are...just....wow.

2022 = 2008
2023 = 2009

Are you ready for the boom?
2008 ended with momentum and hope, and had 3-4 future NFL O-linemen returning, not to mention a QB with major mojo returning.

This season is going nowhere, has the worst OL they've had in the KF era, and QB...well....LOL.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Dr.PhilSuess
Any talk of change in the program needs to start with Barta gone first, followed directly by Brian.
IF Kirk wants to stay at that point with a new AD who will hold his feet to the fire and who just fired his son, well then I might be inclined to think he'd be open to change.

Any talk of change in the program needs to start with Barta gone first, followed directly by Brian.
IF Kirk wants to stay at that point with a new AD who will hold his feet to the fire and who just fired his son, well then I might be inclined to think he'd be open to change.
While I too would like an AD who was a better contract negotiator, legal analyst...he has also done a good job in other areas. Top notch facilities, fundraising, etc.

not a great AD by any means, but also not as poor as many of us would like to believe.

Somehow. Our worst years have been followed by some of our best these last few decades. As our best have been followed by some of the worst.

it can’t really get worse than worst offense in history can it?

2008 ended with momentum and hope, and had 3-4 future O-linemen returning, not to mention a QB with major mojo returning.

This season is going nowhere, has the worst OL they've had in the KF era, and QB...well....LOL.
I'm hoping that this season ends with momentum too ('08 had the Hawks at 3-3 and 5-4 before the end of season run), will have a bunch of o-lineman returning next year, and the QB will be upgraded via transfer or portal. The schedule is very accessible next year. Hawks will be rock solid on defense and field goal. Offense, seem to have found their starting running back and how can they not be better overall? This is a perfect year to build into next year, particularly for the o-line.

Last edited:
Somehow. Our worst years have been followed by some of our best these last few decades. As our best have been followed by some of the worst.

it can’t really get worse than worst offense in history can it?
It’s what we said about the offense after last season.

• Haha
I'm hoping that this season ends with momentum too ('08 had the Hawks at 3-3 and 5-4 before the end of season run), will have a bunch of o-lineman returning next year, and the QB will be upgraded via transfer or portal. The schedule is very accessible next year. Hawks will be rock solid on defense and field goal. Offense, seem to have found their starting running back and how can they not be better overall? This is a perfect year to build into next year, particularly for the o-line.
We lose some serious talent off the defense.

Don't understand why you would want Woods as HC since he has never even been a coordinator. If KF retires, I hope Parker becomes HC. Or one of the Stoops.

• Haha
Next year is the year to make hay. The schedule will never get any easier. Its made for winning the West and our last chance in my opinion of ever winning another BIG championship.

2008 ended with momentum and hope, and had 3-4 future O-linemen returning, not to mention a QB with major mojo returning.

LOL and if not for botched field goal attempts by UNI would have been a nut punch right out of the gate.

• Haha
That side of the ball has gotten to the point where it is just reload.
We are going to lose 2 of our 3 linebackers, starting safety, starting corner, starting speed rusher..

The people who think there will not be a drop off are the same ones that thought we could lose our all world center and actually be better. It's foolish.

• Wow
We are going to lose 2 of our 3 linebackers, starting safety, starting corner, starting speed rusher..

The people who think there will not be a drop off are the same ones that thought we could lose our all world center and actually be better. It's foolish.

Drop off, sure. But I think we’ve recruited well enough there that we’re talking dropping from top 10 > top 20.

Higgins I like at LB, there’s a highly touted 4* - justice Sullivan, etc.

"Great"? Evy and Hayden were great coaches. KF was a successful coach almost entirely in spite of himself. His success belongs almost entirely to Norm and Phil Parker. If KF had been smart enough and humble enough to hire OCs and let them run the offense with the same freedom that Norm and Phil ran the defense, he might have been great. But he didn't. So he wasn't. And no one should utter KF's name in the same breath as those of Evy and Hayden.

And those who suggest Ferentz has earned the right to leave on his own terms are naïve. When you are no longer doing your job, you should be shown the door. But, of course, there's that utterly ridiculous buyout that no one in his right mind would give anyone, let alone someone in KF's situation and at KF's age. Barta has been guilty of multiple transgressions that should have led to his firing too, but there's something weird going on in Iowa City. A job in the Iowa Athletic Department has greater job security than a spot on the US Supreme Court. I wonder why both institutions are struggling mightily.

Do me a favor….go compare win/loss records of Hayden/KF vs teams with a winning record? Then go look how many times in our best seasons under Hayden we played 6 or 7 teams with losing records. In 91, we went 10-1-1 and played 7 such teams…

Then after you are done with that endeavor that will shock you immensely. Read up on how a jealous Evy tried to ruin the football program as an AD….

Then come back and I’ll try to take you more seriously!

Last edited:
Reactions: squeezebox
Kirk has never been a great coach and never will be. I believe I posted this after the 1999 season.

I was in Alabama when Bear Bryant was hired. Alabama had record of 2 wins 7 losses 1957. Bear Bryant was hired and in 1958 they went 5 wins 4 losses and 1 tie. In his second year the record was 7 wins 2 losses and 2 ties.

Iowa record 1998 was 3 wins and 8 losses

Ferentz was hired and record 1999 was 1 win and 10 losses.

His second year was 3 wins and 9 losses.

Yes Ferentz is a class act, but a mediocre football coach whose time has passed. The question is can Iowa find and hire a great coach?

How many great coaches are there? Not many….and no KF isn’t one. But he is still a top 25 coach.

• Haha

Exactly! I heard from people how the O Line was going to be better this year without TL and made up of no one who played at a high level last year.
They won't reload for Campbell but Higgins looks solid and Jacobs is a stud if he recovers and if he comes back. Corner is a concern. I think safety will be good. D Line should be better. Craig is an emerging star on the edge and the interior should be solid if not spectacular.
I have zero confidence in the offense being better unless Barnett and both Ferentzes are gone.

I'm assuming you mean top 25 currently and not all time?

Of course….honestly I’m always baffled at who our fans think is a good coach while the fans of that coach are consistently bitching about him.

There’s only one coach in college football right now that would be on the top 25 list and that would be Saban and probably urban Meyer if he was still coaching.

Incidentally Hayden wasn’t one either.

You have said yourself we don't play anyone next year. So we should be able to cruise against no one.

And if the defense is gonna be down like you say, Phil better get on that portal machine and transport some dudes in. Maybe that linebacker from South Dakota State.

• Haha
You have said yourself we don't play anyone next year. So we should be able to cruise against no one.

And if the defense is gonna be down like you say, Phil better get on that portal machine and transport some dudes in. Maybe that linebacker from South Dakota State.
No I didn't but I'll assume you got me confused with someone else.

No biggie.

They need those spots to bring in people to create an offense that compliments thr defense and can carry some weight. If there is a stud they can get, great, if not, use thr spot on an extra WR. Imo

No I didn't but I'll assume you got me confused with someone else.

No biggie.

They need those spots to bring in people to create an offense that compliments thr defense and can carry some weight. If there is a stud they can get, great, if not, use thr spot on an extra WR. Imo
Looks like LBs should be Higgins, Fisher and Jacobs when have 3 LBS in the game.

Would like to see what TJ Hall looks like in game action being the dude behind Riley.

ADVERTISEMENT