ADVERTISEMENT

My Wishes for Iowa Football for 2023

I think it’s still possible to operate a run-heavy, ball control type offense (Baltimore, San Francisco, etc) but the scheme needs to be upgraded. The zone blocking concepts need to evolve simply because of how they are calling penalties for cut blocks. The passing game likewise needs better concepts. Having a mobile quarterback, even if a pass-first guy would be ideal.
Even Baltimore has one of the most mobile QBs in the game while averaging over 30 passes a game.

Even Baltimore has one of the most mobile QBs in the game while averaging over 30 passes a game.

I think we pass the “well duh” stage of this argument years ago. Lamar is probably at the far end of this argument, there aren’t many quarterbacks like him.

First of all, KF needs to stay as HC. The main reason to fire a head football coach is because they no longer have control of their program. When you see players giving up at the end of the season, or severe discipline problems like what is happening at MSU, or major dysfunction within the program that is usually seen in public between coaches, players, administration, etc. then you fire the coach. But none of that is happening here. This team may not have the results they want but it isn't for a lack of cohesion. As a bonus, it really looks like recruiting is as good as it ever has been.

Second, you have to question what coach would want to step into this program after a coach like KF got run out of town. Any good coach wants to be able to come in and put their stamp on the program, make it their own, and it is much much easier to resurrect a dumpster fire than it is to keep a well-oiled machine running. When a coach gets hired at a dumpster fire, they get the authority to clean house as well as having a long-term commitment from the university because they know they are starting over. Iowa is not a dumpster fire by any stretch of the imagination and any coach that comes here would have the shadow of KF looming over them. Like when BB went to Illinois, or Alvarez to Wisconsin, or Leipold to Kansas, hell, they all just wanted to win a game. Any past success, if they ever had any was long gone. Then the goal is to get to a bowl game. Any bowl game would do, doesn't matter what toilet bowl it is. Anything after that is a bonus really. But these coaches came into programs that were so down that they could mold them however they wanted. With the portal now this can happen much faster and we are seeing that with BB. But any coach coming into Iowa knows that the expectations are much much higher than that from the get go. There aren't many coaches that want to step into KF's shoes with those expectations.

Why? I don't know that I disagree - if only because it's just gotten so toxic with him; but if he was willing to be the OL coach I would be okay with that.
I doubt he would take such a demotion. Its possible of course. He would be better off as OC at a smaller school where he can carve his own path without Dad's strategy overshadowing him.

Reactions: rlm65
I doubt he would take such a demotion. Its possible of course. He would be better off as OC at a smaller school where he can carve his own path without Dad's strategy overshadowing him.

Agreed. To me if he really has ambitions to be a head coach he needs to prove himself as an OC or HC at a smaller school where he can show his stuff and maybe prove that at least part of his struggles as OC here were due to running Kirks system.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
As far as the offense goes, I really like what KF tried to do. He made the choice to build around a pro-style offense featuring dynamic tight ends. It makes sense because a pro-style offense is built to be able to counter whatever a defense throws at it, and, as one of the few pro-style offenses one would think that players that wish to go to the NFL would want to play in a pro-style offense in college. And it is complicated because the look that the defense shows pre-snap determines what each individual skill position is going to do and then the quarterback has to know all of those. Like for a wide receiver, if he is being shown man coverage with inside leverage his route should be x but if it is outside leverage his route is y. And so on and so forth. The quarterback has to see all of those things and when all of the receivers and backs are on the same page, with line protection, it is a beautiful thing to watch.

However in practice, there are so many moving parts and intricacies of it that it in the college game you wonder if there is enough practice time to be able to execute all of it relatively efficiently. When you throw in injuries and young players it gets worse. So the result when everyone is not on the same page is that mistakes are made and the offense plays slow. That is what we are seeing right now along with really poor line play.

Depending on which side of the debate you are on if Iowa's offense got much better against NW or NW is just a bad team doesn't really matter. The takeaway from it is that what we saw is what this offense COULD look like if the offensive line blocks adequately, both in the run game and pass protections. NW essentially had 8 possessions and we scored 33 points without the benefit of a turnover or special teams. It also includes 4 field goals so it could have been much more lopsided. It is a winning formula.

But this is about a wish list. I first would like to wish for a dominant offensive line and get back to the bullies of the B1G. Second, I would like to see a QB with some wheels, just enough to be able to keep the defenses honest. Third I would like to see us get a man-beater or 2 on the edges.

As far as BF, I think a hybrid solution would be to make him offensive line coach, running game coordinator and co-offensive coordinator, and then bring in some fresh ideas from the outside and make that person QB coach and passing game coordinator and co-offensive coordinator.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
As far as the offense goes, I really like what KF tried to do. He made the choice to build around a pro-style offense featuring dynamic tight ends. It makes sense because a pro-style offense is built to be able to counter whatever a defense throws at it, and, as one of the few pro-style offenses one would think that players that wish to go to the NFL would want to play in a pro-style offense in college. And it is complicated because the look that the defense shows pre-snap determines what each individual skill position is going to do and then the quarterback has to know all of those. Like for a wide receiver, if he is being shown man coverage with inside leverage his route should be x but if it is outside leverage his route is y. And so on and so forth. The quarterback has to see all of those things and when all of the receivers and backs are on the same page, with line protection, it is a beautiful thing to watch.

However in practice, there are so many moving parts and intricacies of it that it in the college game you wonder if there is enough practice time to be able to execute all of it relatively efficiently. When you throw in injuries and young players it gets worse. So the result when everyone is not on the same page is that mistakes are made and the offense plays slow. That is what we are seeing right now along with really poor line play.

Depending on which side of the debate you are on if Iowa's offense got much better against NW or NW is just a bad team doesn't really matter. The takeaway from it is that what we saw is what this offense COULD look like if the offensive line blocks adequately, both in the run game and pass protections. NW essentially had 8 possessions and we scored 33 points without the benefit of a turnover or special teams. It also includes 4 field goals so it could have been much more lopsided. It is a winning formula.

But this is about a wish list. I first would like to wish for a dominant offensive line and get back to the bullies of the B1G. Second, I would like to see a QB with some wheels, just enough to be able to keep the defenses honest. Third I would like to see us get a man-beater or 2 on the edges.

As far as BF, I think a hybrid solution would be to make him offensive line coach, running game coordinator and co-offensive coordinator, and then bring in some fresh ideas from the outside and make that person QB coach and passing game coordinator and co-offensive coordinator.

I really do feel like they can make updates to the current scheme without needing to totally reinvent the wheel and be more effective. Continue to simplify the passing tree/routes; evolve the blocking schemes (Kirk hasnt done well here when he knows they are officiating zone blocking differently whether he likes it or not). QBs must be more mobile.

Biggest thing maybe is continue to shift formations, use motion pre-snap. Imo, when Brian has looked best as an OC, Iowa has utilized both effectively, and seem to make Iowa less predictable.

Reactions: NCHawkeye24
I think it’s still possible to operate a run-heavy, ball control type offense (Baltimore, San Francisco, etc) but the scheme needs to be upgraded. The zone blocking concepts need to evolve simply because of how they are calling penalties for cut blocks. The passing game likewise needs better concepts. Having a mobile quarterback, even if a pass-first guy would be ideal.
Not too much like Baltimore; QB is almost never under center and is often their leading rusher

Not too much like Baltimore; QB is almost never under center and is often their leading rusher

They also have Lamar Jackson and have built their offense around him. Easier to do in the nfl when you will have a guy for 10 years if he’s the guy. Harder in college when it’s at most 3 years in college.

I merely point out their basic philosophy of a run-first identity.

I really do feel like they can make updates to the current scheme without needing to totally reinvent the wheel and be more effective. Continue to simplify the passing tree/routes; evolve the blocking schemes (Kirk hasnt done well here when he knows they are officiating zone blocking differently whether he likes it or not). QBs must be more mobile.

Biggest thing maybe is continue to shift formations, use motion pre-snap. Imo, when Brian has looked best as an OC, Iowa has utilized both effectively, and seem to make Iowa less predictable.
You and I are on the same page. To add to what you said I would like to see a lot more no huddle if not exclusively and call the plays at the LOS. It really allows a lot more time to get into those pre-snap motions and gives the QB much more time to get a read on the defense. I also think it slows down the defense a lot because it limits if not eliminates substitutions and it is harder for the defenses to organize and change their look. All of that can still be done within this offensive scheme and it does not mean we have to play any faster. We can still use up the majority of the play clock, can still run the ball and we can still play under center.

You and I are on the same page. To add to what you said I would like to see a lot more no huddle if not exclusively and call the plays at the LOS. It really allows a lot more time to get into those pre-snap motions and gives the QB much more time to get a read on the defense. I also think it slows down the defense a lot because it limits if not eliminates substitutions and it is harder for the defenses to organize and change their look. All of that can still be done within this offensive scheme and it does not mean we have to play any faster. We can still use up the majority of the play clock, can still run the ball and we can still play under center.

I will disagree a bit on seeing mostly if not all no-huddle. Unless you’re also going to hurry up more, not convinced I see the advantage of doing so because the defense will still have time to substitute as long as they hustle.

Do think they need to adopt the flash card method of signaling plays vs the 2 QBs with red hats.

Reactions: NCHawkeye24
I will disagree a bit on seeing mostly if not all no-huddle. Unless you’re also going to hurry up more, not convinced I see the advantage of doing so because the defense will still have time to substitute as long as they hustle.

Do think they need to adopt the flash card method of signaling plays vs the 2 QBs with red hats.
What I am thinking is what I see a lot of other teams do where they hustle back to the LOS and then they wait for the play call from the sideline. They may still use up a lot of the play clock when all is said and done so it isn't exactly a hurry up although it looks that way when they hustle back to line up. I like the idea of being able to utilize the time normally spent on players running from the end of the last play to the huddle and from the huddle to the LOS for a lot of motion and getting a pre-snap read. I can't help but think it does a great job of slowing down that pass rush and gap penetration.

What I am thinking is what I see a lot of other teams do where they hustle back to the LOS and then they wait for the play call from the sideline. They may still use up a lot of the play clock when all is said and done so it isn't exactly a hurry up although it looks that way when they hustle back to line up. I like the idea of being able to utilize the time normally spent on players running from the end of the last play to the huddle and from the huddle to the LOS for a lot of motion and getting a pre-snap read. I can't help but think it does a great job of slowing down that pass rush and gap penetration.

Meh, imo it only helps that if you’re moving fast enough that the other team doesn’t haven’t time to sub. Minnesota for example does what you’re describing but doesn’t move any faster and I don’t feel it provides an advantage to the offense.

Honestly, that is probably all KF could stomach (tweaks/updates). Iowa should ALWAYS have a running QB IMO. Combine that with obviously better O Line Play and we are onto something. I pointed out in another thread, but Ole Miss runs the ball a lot and has a dual threat QB. But they also confuse the defense with tons of pre snap motion, shifting and misdirection.

Honestly, that is probably all KF could stomach (tweaks/updates). Iowa should ALWAYS have a running QB IMO. Combine that with obviously better O Line Play and we are onto something. I pointed out in another thread, but Ole Miss runs the ball a lot and has a dual threat QB. But they also confuse the defense with tons of pre snap motion, shifting and misdirection.
Question, when you say running/dual-threat qb do you mean a guy who is actively a part of the running game? Or a la Stanzi/Tate, who had the ability to get out of the pocket and as lib when needed?

2008 ended with momentum and hope, and had 3-4 future NFL O-linemen returning, not to mention a QB with major mojo returning.

This season is going nowhere, has the worst OL they've had in the KF era, and QB...well....LOL.
I'm hoping that this season ends with momentum too ('08 had the Hawks at 3-3 and 5-4 before the end of season run), will have a bunch of o-lineman returning next year, and the QB will be upgraded via transfer or portal. The schedule is very accessible next year. Hawks will be rock solid on defense and field goal. Offense, seem to have found their starting running back and how can they not be better overall? This is a perfect year to build into next year, particularly for the o-line.

Hawks building into next year, love to see it.

Wish list, in order:

1. AD gone
2. Brian gone
3. Kirk announces last season before retirement
4. Re-tooled offensive scheme with mobile QB as critical component
5. Portal extravaganza: 10 or more new players ready to go

Time for a rebuild

Wish list, in order:

3. Kirk announces last season before retirement
When the time comes, I do hope that Kirk announces that a certain season will be his last. That will give us time to find a strong replacement. I think Wisconsin and Nebraska both benefitted this year by having most of the season to vet candidates and make their hires before the coaching carousel even really got moving.

My fear is that Kirk will do his usual "wait until after the bowl game to do a full evaluation" routine, which will put Iowa in a disadvantaged position in hiring his replacement. Or, worse yet, he will wait until July, and make an immediate resignation, forcing the university to hire an interim. (Such as the current OC).

I'm not one who wants Barta to fire Kirk. But I do hope they are having open, honest conversations about what a future transition plan would look like.

Reactions: sober_teacher
I'm hoping that this season ends with momentum too ('08 had the Hawks at 3-3 and 5-4 before the end of season run), will have a bunch of o-lineman returning next year, and the QB will be upgraded via transfer or portal. The schedule is very accessible next year. Hawks will be rock solid on defense and field goal. Offense, seem to have found their starting running back and how can they not be better overall? This is a perfect year to build into next year, particularly for the o-line.
A lot of receipts in this thread.

My wishes have been satisfied. If only the team stayed healthy this year, could have been interesting in Indy.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT