ADVERTISEMENT

Name a feature in a house that is overrated or you don't like

srams21

HR Legend
Gold Member
May 23, 2004
When you are house hunting, what features, amenities, or fixtures do you think are overrated?

For me, it's a swimming pool. Now, if I were in a warmer climate I would consider it. However, for the Upper Midwest, I don't want to deal with a pool only to be able to use it for about 3 months out of the year. I feel the same way about fireplaces.

What say you HROT?

When you are house hunting, what features, amenities, or fixtures do you think are overrated?

For me, it's a swimming pool. Now, if I were in a warmer climate I would consider it. However, for the Upper Midwest, I don't want to deal with a pool only to be able to use it for about 3 months out of the year. I feel the same way about fireplaces.

What say you HROT?
Double sink vanity. Do any of you actually brush your teeth at the same time as your significant other?

beautiful-entry-157674310-59e42bc79abed500117d6484.jpg

I think the space of huge entryways might be better utilized.

Two-story foyers, especially with half-moon panes at the top of the window.

We once went through a house (almost bought it) that had a decent sized wine cellar. We don't drink that much wine so thought that wouldn't be used - at least not for that purpose. It was odd because it was a "normal" ranch house so not one you think would have that.

Reactions: Herkmeister
We once went through a house (almost bought it) that had a decent sized wine cellar. We don't drink that much wine so thought that wouldn't be used - at least not for that purpose. It was odd because it was a "normal" ranch house so not one you think would have that.

Yeah, we don't use ours... Mrs. Tradition (no pics) drinks the wine faster than we could ever keep the thing stocked.

Reactions: srams21

What say you HROT?

In most houses, sliding glass doors to the bedroom or large windows in bedrooms in general. Don’t get me wrong, I love natural lighting....in the kitchen, in the living areas (other than entertainment room/theater/wherever the main Tv is situated), and even the bathrooms. I especially love skylights letting in natural light. But my bedrooms (and tv Entertainment areas) I want to be incredibly dark caves. Light is my enemy in those areas. In my current house I have double cell blackout blinds in my bedroom so that almost zero light intrudes.

Other than that, I agree that the standard formal dining room is a waste. Ours is really used only to display my Native American art collection and to hold my giant wine and liquor collection in shelving units. I’ve used it as a dining room exactly twice in three years. But we have plenty of other dining spots that are more useful. We’ve got a small glass table that seats four in between the open concept transition between our living room and our kitchen, there’s a bar with room for three off the kitchen as well, usually we just eat in the two couches and chair in the living room and then we have two patios one with dining table and seating for six and one with a coffee table and couch with two chairs for seating for five. One patio is about a half story above the other so all eleven can eat outdoors and see each other. And I have foldable table and seating for six I can add either indoors or out. So the dining room is essentially a giant wasted space.

Double sink vanity. Do any of you actually brush your teeth at the same time as your significant other?
Yes and we ride to work together every day, have for the last 8 years. Problem is we don’t have a double sink vanity.

Takes up counter space. I have no desire to brush my teeth at the same time as my wife. There is no other reason to have 2 sinks.

I think you are in a tiny, tiny minority. We go to bed at the same time, so we are brushing our teeth at the same time. Or I’m shaving while she puts on makeup. We are always in the bathroom at the same time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT