ADVERTISEMENT

Name a head coach that you'd like to see at Iowa that nobody else has mentioned on this board

Personally, I want to see a stronger Big 10 - top to bottom. Rutgers and Maryland are an embarrassment but Northwestern and Purdue are on (somewhat of) an up-tick. Nebraska stinking it up sure as hell doesn't help but I hope that's changing. I'm also sick of the SEC and ACC crap that gets spewed 7 days a week.

I think Iowa has spent so many years content with Ferentz and it seems as though something's missing and he's hit his plateau. So if Iowa were to go after a new head coach, I would include these guys in the first list:

Rod Carey – N. Illinois; $700k
Solid coach with Big 10 lineage; born in Madison and played at Indiana.

Neal Brown – Troy, $1MM
He’s a southern boy and wants the SEC but the Big 10 is attractive to a lot of guys.

Bill Clark – UAB, $1MM
What he’s done at UAB after they dismantled the program is amazing.

Matt Wells – Utah St; $1.2MM
Great coaching staff on both sides of the ball but is coaching at his alma mater.

Scott Satterfield – Appalachian St; $800k
Another solid coach but is at his alma mater.

I want Mike Leach at SC if Muschamp doesn't work out

You're a great guy, pepsi, and we love having you here, but I feel like it's my duty to tell you that SC needs to stop rehashing a washed up coach every several years. Holtz, Spurrier, Muschamp (maybe not so bad), and now you want Leach? Your program deserves better. I'd love to see you guys take over the SEC East for a while, but your A.D. needs to stop going for the big name and make a solid hire. If you're not careful, you might end up with Ferentz LOL.

If KF retires, I like the Mike Leach idea. He's won at Texas Tech and Washington State so it would be interesting to see what he could do at a program like Iowa. If we could retain Phil Parker that might be an awesome combination.

Anybody willing to:

1) Not play 10+ yds off a receiver at all times during the game. Even 3rd and goal at the 3.
2) Come up with the times and run a variation of the 3-4
3) Use a dual threat QB and open up the offense
4) Get the ball to your playmakers in space

Reactions: anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba
I like what Matt Campbell is doing over in Ames. They are exciting to watch, and like Iowa used to do, they get better as the year progresses.

I hate to be the guy that pees on the parade but I think we all know this thread is basically redundant. Because, well, Gary Barta.

Gene Hackman. KF has been a facsimile of Gene's character from Hoosiers. Might as well get the real deal.

I like what Matt Campbell is doing over in Ames. They are exciting to watch, and like Iowa used to do, they get better as the year progresses.
Campbell has done well since he's been on campus. This year his team is staying pretty healthy and has good depth when needed.

628x471.jpg

Reactions: David1979
Reactions: Herkmeister
I haven't read all the posts, but one person that I was hoping to see on Nebraska's short list after Pelini was fired (after Riley was fired, it was Scott Frost or bust) was Dave Doeren. He doesn't have a super sexy pedigree or coaching tree. He did a nice job with the winner he inherited at Northern Illinois and he also has done a pretty good job at NC State, at least I thought.

If Iowa were to move on, I think it would be a mistake to promote BF unless he is truly the best option for the job. "Just because he's the son of Kirk" or "he knows the system/culture" should not even be a consideration. Go out and find the best fit for Iowa, regardless of where he comes from.

With that all being said...KF is not going anywhere.

You're a great guy, pepsi, and we love having you here, but I feel like it's my duty to tell you that SC needs to stop rehashing a washed up coach every several years. Holtz, Spurrier, Muschamp (maybe not so bad), and now you want Leach? Your program deserves better. I'd love to see you guys take over the SEC East for a while, but your A.D. needs to stop going for the big name and make a solid hire. If you're not careful, you might end up with Ferentz LOL.
I believe that's pepsicock to you

I haven't read all the posts, but one person that I was hoping to see on Nebraska's short list after Pelini was fired (after Riley was fired, it was Scott Frost or bust) was Dave Doeren. He doesn't have a super sexy pedigree or coaching tree. He did a nice job with the winner he inherited at Northern Illinois and he also has done a pretty good job at NC State, at least I thought.

If Iowa were to move on, I think it would be a mistake to promote BF unless he is truly the best option for the job. "Just because he's the son of Kirk" or "he knows the system/culture" should not even be a consideration. Go out and find the best fit for Iowa, regardless of where he comes from.

With that all being said...KF is not going anywhere.

Doeren has ties to the State of Iowa and his name was batted about a bit the last time the coaching change train gathered steam.

I just looked at his record a day or two ago, and he seems to be settling into a Ferentzian pattern, so I think his shine has worn off a little. I personally don't think he's a bad hire, but not what the fan base is looking for, IMO.

Reactions: ThrowBones92
Cam Aiken, Clemson, Offensive Analyst (29): The Clemson staff is super high on Aiken, who’s been with the program for all three playoff runs. He’s seen as a vital part of the team’s game-day planning and execution.

If I were the AD, I'd try for someone like that, or someone from the Alabama, Georgia, or LSU staffs. I'd look for somebody with integrity, who is relatively young, and who knows what it's like to be involved with a program that is regularly in the CFP conversation.

Next in line would be Chris Klieman, NDSU, native Iowan, 64-6 as head coach, and multiple FCS national titles on his resume.

I want somebody with a championship background who believes he can put Iowa in that conversation on a regular basis.

BTW: After nearly two decades without so much as a single winning season, Hayden Fry won the Big Ten championship and Rose Bowl berth in his THIRD season (1981) in Iowa City. And four years later he had Iowa ranked as the No. 1 team in the nation most of the season for the first time since 1959. I want somebody like THAT.

COACH SONSKI.

1. Coach Sonski: That's cute, honey, but this is a gym, not a Jane.

Coach Sonski: You wanna wrestle with girls, date 'em.
    Kristy Barnes: That's not fair!
    Coach Sonski: Well, I don't have hair and that's not fair, either.

Coach Sonski: I don't care if I'm hated—I have pets at home who love me.

Coach Sonski: OK, I'm sensitive to dames. I watch Oprah.

ADVERTISEMENT