ADVERTISEMENT

Name Good Old TV Shows from a Picture

snapshot20090715234834.8186.jpg

(This is a trick question:)

Lassie Come Home? The only reason I am adding the "come home" is because you said it was a trick question.
Close - this was another TV show that preceded Lassie. I saw the reruns when I was in college in the 1970s. And Lassie Come Home is a great movie.

land-of-the-giants.jpg

I used to watch this around supper time on Sundays when I was finally getting around to doing my homework.
(I was an underachiever even then.)

This is Jeff's Collie.

fbi.jpg

Just as a bit of Trivia, the first three seasons of Lassie were originally broadcast as Lassie with Jeff Miller as Lassie's master from 1954 to 1957. The following seasons feature Timmy Martin as the master. The first three years of Lassie were later syndicated under the title of Jeff's Collie, which is what you saw in reruns. So both Lassie, and Jeff's Collie would be correct answers to the question.

First-run Lassie was televised September 12, 1954 to March 24, 1973 with its first 17 seasons airing on CBS Sundays at 7:00 p.m. EST. In 1971, in order to promote community-related programming among local affiliates, the Federal Communications Commission moved primetime Sundays to 8:00 P.M. EST with the institution of the Prime Time Access Rule. CBS executives felt Lassie would not be well received in a time slot other than its traditional 7:00 p.m. slot, and, with the network's other family programs set, the show was canceled.[56] (Lassie was among several shows that CBS canceled during this time period as part of a change in its target demographics.) Lassie then entered first-run syndication with Jack Wrather and Campbell's Soup still on board, and remained on the air for another two years with its final episode airing in March 1973. All totaled, 591 episodes were produced.

The Miller years were sold into syndication in 1958 under the title of Jeff's Collie. In rerun syndication, the Martin family episodes aired under the title of Timmy & Lassie. Re-runs of the series aired on Nickelodeon from 1984 until 1996.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lassie_(1954_TV_series)

Just as a bit of Trivia, the first three seasons of Lassie were originally broadcast as Lassie with Jeff Miller as Lassie's master from 1954 to 1957. The following seasons feature Timmy Martin as the master. The first three years of Lassie were later syndicated under the title of Jeff's Collie, which is what you saw in reruns. So both Lassie, and Jeff's Collie would be correct answers to the question.

First-run Lassie was televised September 12, 1954 to March 24, 1973 with its first 17 seasons airing on CBS Sundays at 7:00 p.m. EST. In 1971, in order to promote community-related programming among local affiliates, the Federal Communications Commission moved primetime Sundays to 8:00 P.M. EST with the institution of the Prime Time Access Rule. CBS executives felt Lassie would not be well received in a time slot other than its traditional 7:00 p.m. slot, and, with the network's other family programs set, the show was canceled.[56] (Lassie was among several shows that CBS canceled during this time period as part of a change in its target demographics.) Lassie then entered first-run syndication with Jack Wrather and Campbell's Soup still on board, and remained on the air for another two years with its final episode airing in March 1973. All totaled, 591 episodes were produced.

The Miller years were sold into syndication in 1958 under the title of Jeff's Collie. In rerun syndication, the Martin family episodes aired under the title of Timmy & Lassie. Re-runs of the series aired on Nickelodeon from 1984 until 1996.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lassie_(1954_TV_series)
Thanks for the info - I learned something today.

a9401a9c44a51beeb2b7fa8db449c86d.jpg

Dan Defore (father) was from Iowa.
Whitney Blake (the pretty mom) is the mother of actress Meredith Baxter. She was also in the first aired episode of Perry Mason.

ADVERTISEMENT