ADVERTISEMENT

Name the Successor

Aug 15, 2018
Don’t know if this has been discussed Ad Nauseam lately but thought I’d give it a whirl. Kirk is on his way out. It will not be Brian.
Who do you think would take over the reins if it happened, right now. I would hope it’s either Parker or Woods. Honestly, I hope Woods. Younger & in for the longer haul.

Thoughts?

Might be best for someone not tied to the KF staff to take over. I have little doubt that Woods and Parker have the stuff to become head coaches, but they might want to make a name for themselves at an FCS or MAC school and get a fresh start.

Best-case candidates are Bobby Stoops (he may or may not be interested - and he just turned 60, so his shelf life is limited if he wanted the job), Mark Stoops, and Chris Kliemann. Candidates of color will likely be interviewed as a formality, but a lot of them probably wouldn't have much serious interest because even if the whole Doyle fiasco never took place, it's still a tough sell for lots of reasons: The weather in IC is mediocre-to-crappy from November through April (a lot of black and Hispanic coaches come from the South and West where the weather is generally much milder in late fall and winter), it's very much a college town at the end of the day and doesn't offer the same amenities a city like Chicago does, and the last non-white coach Iowa had in a money sport bolted after just a few short seasons (and IIRC, Raveling said something to the effect that even as a black guy, it's tough to recruit black talent to IC).

If KF was on the way out (which he is not) I would like to see a guy like Copeland get a shot. If not him, make him the OC. If it were someone else I’d like Kliemann or Bobby stoops. A wild card option would be Bill Clark, the HC at UAB. He took a program who had to take the death penalty and has turned them into a winner. He also could recruit the Florida area pretty well which would be an added bonus.

f0056b23-8c3d-4a0b-87af-948f33c09991.jpg

Might be best for someone not tied to the KF staff to take over. I have little doubt that Woods and Parker have the stuff to become head coaches, but they might want to make a name for themselves at an FCS or MAC school and get a fresh start.

Best-case candidates are Bobby Stoops (he may or may not be interested - and he just turned 60, so his shelf life is limited if he wanted the job), Mark Stoops, and Chris Kliemann. Candidates of color will likely be interviewed as a formality, but a lot of them probably wouldn't have much serious interest because even if the whole Doyle fiasco never took place, it's still a tough sell for lots of reasons: The weather in IC is mediocre-to-crappy from November through April (a lot of black and Hispanic coaches come from the South and West where the weather is generally much milder in late fall and winter), it's very much a college town at the end of the day and doesn't offer the same amenities a city like Chicago does, and the last non-white coach Iowa had in a money sport bolted after just a few short seasons (and IIRC, Raveling said something to the effect that even as a black guy, it's tough to recruit black talent to IC).
Dude, Raveling recruited the best players Iowa has ever seen, and the best players he ever recruited anywhere he coached.

Don’t know if this has been discussed Ad Nauseam lately but thought I’d give it a whirl. Kirk is on his way out. It will not be Brian.
Who do you think would take over the reins if it happened, right now. I would hope it’s either Parker or Woods. Honestly, I hope Woods. Younger & in for the longer haul.

Thoughts?

Is this a joke? Kirk isn't going anywhere as long as he has the support of his current players, which it sounds like he does.

bomani jones said kirk aint going anywhere as long as he keeps winning

the only thing i would be concerned about is recruiting issues going forward

frankly, as an iowa state fan the story is very uninteresting and i have a hard time finding interest in any of the woke narratives, no opinion, just not interesting, other big 10 coaches will be sure to bring it up for a few years tho in recruiting

Let's do that math again.?...

How many players entered the transfer portal today?

How many recruits decommited?

This is all that matters for Kirk's future. He can lose the media, a minority of fans, 2 % of former players who hate him but until players abandon him, he's not going anywhere and he shouldn't. I dont care what Bob, Tom, dick and Harry Dot com say and neither does Barta

Chris Klieman has a strong midwestern background with extensive ties to the state of Iowa. The fit appears natural and he brings a fairly impressive coaching resume.

• Born and raised in Waterloo, attended Columbus HS
  • Played college football at UNI
  • Coached 3 years at UNI as GA under Terry Allen
  • DC 5 seasons at Loras College
  • 2nd stint at UNI serving as DC for 5 years
  • Hired as DC at NDSU in 2011
  • Promoted to HC at NDSU in 2014
  • 69-6 overall at NDSU, 5 conference championships, 4 NCs
  • 8-5 in his fist season at Kansas State in 2019
What I like: strong defensive coaching / DC background, runs an "Iowa style" offense with emphasis on power run / pro pass but adds wrinkles to include Fry type "exotics", seems to get the most out of his players (KSU picked 9th, finished 4th), understands and has recruited ties to the mid-central states.....
basically Brian Ferentz with an accomplished head coaching record. He would be very close to the top of my list.

Idk that "on his way out" is the correct term but 80% of a poll on this site did expect him to be gone within 5 years or less.

With that: Klienman(sp) luke fickell would be good choices. If its a super fast turn around I think you ask Bob stoops if he wants to do it for 5 years and go from there.

Reactions: Simbahawk4

Thoughts?

It will be Brian Ferentz. That is why he is the asst coach currenty. He came here to succeed his father.

Kirk isn't on his way out. And George Raveling recruited a lot of great African American basketball players for the Hawks, so I wouldn't say it was difficult for him .Go Hawks !

not convinced on klieman
ndsu is a powerhouse no matter who is the coach
craig bohl built it before klieman why not him?
hes stuck in laramie but has knocked off (3) 8 win seasons in the last 4, but he is 62 so maybe not

ive always been a fan of that piggy bielema, i know, i know, arkansas, but but, wisconsin, yes they were dominant under brett, but it is wisconsin. he needs to lose some weight and stop being such a slob and he could be a dynamite coach and darn does he love to run the ball, great for iowa

Thoughts?
I'm glad you're hiding behind a new name. And if we can find a good lawyer who would hold our money I'd love to put a grand with you that Kirk is gone. Is this a timetable of one month, three months or before 2021?

Let us all just stop you there...

No where else but Iowa could Kirk survive the report from 2018. Barta included. In a different time they would have stood a better chance but very hard to say so in 2020. Every comment they made earlier was to limit damage because they knew that report would come out. That right there says all you need to know about how damaging it is.

Reactions: IAHUNTER
ADVERTISEMENT