ADVERTISEMENT

Name the Successor

No where else but Iowa could Kirk survive the report from 2018. Barta included. In a different time they would have stood a better chance but very hard to say so in 2020. Every comment they made earlier was to limit damage because they knew that report would come out. That right there says all you need to know about how damaging it is.
Didn't Kirk and Barta request the study/report in trying to figure out why so many black athletes were transferring? It was an internal report for them to use to fix a problem that they knew existed. Instead of criticism he should be receiving props for digging into it.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Don’t know if this has been discussed Ad Nauseam lately but thought I’d give it a whirl. Kirk is on his way out. It will not be Brian.
Who do you think would take over the reins if it happened, right now. I would hope it’s either Parker or Woods. Honestly, I hope Woods. Younger & in for the longer haul.

Thoughts?

Go back to the ‘Braska board, Troll.

f0056b23-8c3d-4a0b-87af-948f33c09991.jpg

Reactions: BirdistheWord
Didn't Kirk and Barta request the study/report in trying to figure out why so many black athletes were transferring? It was an internal report for them to use to fix a problem that they knew existed. Instead of criticism he should be receiving props for digging into it.
I am not sure. Gonna admit not following this part closely but if true even worse. It shows they have no sense of what is going on because it clearly didn't work. Shows the ivory tower is in full effect.

I’ll play

1. Mark Stoops
2. Bob Stoops
3. Kienman (apologize for the spelling)

This would be my top 3 if we are talking out side of the program. Inside, I would like it to go to Woods or Bell as they seem to have the recruiting prowess we need to get over that hump.

It depends on how he leaves. He'll never be fired, if he had a couple years that were so bad he was gracefully nudged toward the exit I think he'd step down himself. If he leaves on a high with like a conference championship or something, then Brian can take over. If he leaves because there start to be issues with recruiting (due to the publicity of the last few months) or poor results, there's going to be more of a push to get away from the Fry/Ferentz tree and just try something else. In any event, I'm not sure the identity of the program changes too much as it did with the basketball program over the last 20 years. I can't see us going with like a Dana Holgerson, but Mark Stoops is semi-plausible.

If it were in the next year, I'd think Mark would be a great candidate. There will always be a pretty hard ceiling at Kentucky looking up at Florida and Georgia so I'd think there's some desire for him to move on eventually but I think as it stands his sights may be higher than Iowa and he would try to land at a powerhouse program. If it's not Stoops, it'd be someone we barely know from the G5. Craig Bohl, even as a Nebraska alum, would be my guy but he's only a few years younger than Ferentz. Considering how many quality guys he's gotten to Fargo and Laramie, I don't think he'd see recruiting to Iowa City as a problem. Surely he doesn't see Wyoming as his apex and it would be interesting to roll the dice with him and he'd have a program that's pretty turn-key ready for him.

I have a feeling BF would not have a chance at the job in any way, shape, or form.

Bobby Stoops could of had it 22 years ago if he really wanted it. He would not take it now.

I have a feeling with the events of the past two months, no one on the staff has a shot.

Mark Stoops..maybe. KState...and i would love to see the Wisky d coordinator have a shot.

KF & BF will not only weather this storm, but once the Husch & Blackwell report comes out, will embrace the results, implement recommendations for change and be at the forefront for diversity and inclusion in College Athletics going forward. I truly believe Kirk is a man of character, and will beat it into Brian if he has to.

Might be best for someone not tied to the KF staff to take over. I have little doubt that Woods and Parker have the stuff to become head coaches, but they might want to make a name for themselves at an FCS or MAC school and get a fresh start.

Best-case candidates are Bobby Stoops (he may or may not be interested - and he just turned 60, so his shelf life is limited if he wanted the job), Mark Stoops, and Chris Kliemann. Candidates of color will likely be interviewed as a formality, but a lot of them probably wouldn't have much serious interest because even if the whole Doyle fiasco never took place, it's still a tough sell for lots of reasons: The weather in IC is mediocre-to-crappy from November through April (a lot of black and Hispanic coaches come from the South and West where the weather is generally much milder in late fall and winter), it's very much a college town at the end of the day and doesn't offer the same amenities a city like Chicago does, and the last non-white coach Iowa had in a money sport bolted after just a few short seasons (and IIRC, Raveling said something to the effect that even as a black guy, it's tough to recruit black talent to IC).
If you haven’t figured it out after 20+ years, PP is not interested in a HC position.

I have a feeling BF would not have a chance at the job in any way, shape, or form.

Bobby Stoops could of had it 22 years ago if he really wanted it. He would not take it now.

I have a feeling with the events of the past two months, no one on the staff has a shot.

Mark Stoops..maybe. KState...and i would love to see the Wisky d coordinator have a shot.
Jim Leonhard would be a good hire, IMO. That guy will be a HC shortly.

Don’t know if this has been discussed Ad Nauseam lately but thought I’d give it a whirl. Kirk is on his way out. It will not be Brian.
Who do you think would take over the reins if it happened, right now. I would hope it’s either Parker or Woods. Honestly, I hope Woods. Younger & in for the longer haul.

Thoughts?
Brian F No doubt he will be the next head coach at Iowa. Great choice!

I'm not to worried about the player this year. They are doing all they can to stay together this year. If a exodus is going to happen , it will be in the spring

Kirk will weather the storm and coach for another 5-6 years.

BF will not be a candidate to replace him.

All good points(the serious intellectual ones). To clarify “on his way out”, I did mean it was a sort of phasing that could take a couple 3 years. I really just can’t see Brian with his public temper tantrums when he was up in box next to the donors & the latest drama with attrition & “abuse”. Too many pitchforks & Nepotism critics. Think safer pick would be LaVar Woods. Brian get some experience somewhere else maybe come back later? Not bashing just trying to have a dialogue that’s all.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT