ADVERTISEMENT

NASA admits astronauts transported by Boeing are stranded on ISS

seminole97

HB Legend
Jun 14, 2005
The Starliner spacecraft, which sent astronauts Barry Wilmore and Sunita Williams into orbit at the beginning of June for eight days, is deemed incapable of returning them safely to Earth. SpaceX could be called to the rescue.

It was supposed to be an eight-day escapade, but it could last until 2025. After weeks of denial from NASA, reality has set in: American astronauts Barry Wilmore and Sunita Williams are indeed shipwrecked in space, stranded on the International Space Station (ISS). Boeing's Starliner spacecraft, which sent them into orbit in early June, is so far deemed incapable of returning them safely to Earth.

NASA could therefore call on Elon Musk and his company SpaceX, pushing the astronauts' date of return back to February 2025. "We're in a kind of a new situation here in that we've got multiple options," said former astronaut Ken Bowersox, NASA's associate administrator. "We don't just have to bring a crew back on Starliner, for example. We could bring them back on another vehicle."

The case threatens the very existence of Boeing's Starliner space program and makes SpaceX, the US federal authorities' preferred spacecraft manufacturer, more reliable and cheaper than ever before. The competition between Boeing and Elon Musk's firm began in 2014, when NASA awarded $4.2 billion to Boeing and $2.6 billion to SpaceX, to create vehicles to carry astronauts into space.

The Starliner spacecraft, which sent astronauts Barry Wilmore and Sunita Williams into orbit at the beginning of June for eight days, is deemed incapable of returning them safely to Earth. SpaceX could be called to the rescue.

It was supposed to be an eight-day escapade, but it could last until 2025. After weeks of denial from NASA, reality has set in: American astronauts Barry Wilmore and Sunita Williams are indeed shipwrecked in space, stranded on the International Space Station (ISS). Boeing's Starliner spacecraft, which sent them into orbit in early June, is so far deemed incapable of returning them safely to Earth.

NASA could therefore call on Elon Musk and his company SpaceX, pushing the astronauts' date of return back to February 2025. "We're in a kind of a new situation here in that we've got multiple options," said former astronaut Ken Bowersox, NASA's associate administrator. "We don't just have to bring a crew back on Starliner, for example. We could bring them back on another vehicle."

The case threatens the very existence of Boeing's Starliner space program and makes SpaceX, the US federal authorities' preferred spacecraft manufacturer, more reliable and cheaper than ever before. The competition between Boeing and Elon Musk's firm began in 2014, when NASA awarded $4.2 billion to Boeing and $2.6 billion to SpaceX, to create vehicles to carry astronauts into space.
Why is the Gilligan’s Island theme running through my head?

I hope we don't see it, but there could come a day, sooner than we think, when these stranded men demand the chance for a iffy return to Earth.

Last edited:
Sorry, I don't know a lot about this...but are there supplies on board to sustain the astronauts long enough for "Plan B" to be implemented, etc?

Cuz...if there isn't...that could be awkward.
NG-21 is the twenty-first flight of the Cygnus, an expendable American cargo spacecraft used for International Space Station (ISS) logistics missions, that launched on 4 August 2024. It is operated by Northrop Grumman under a Commercial Resupply Services contract with NASA.

upcoming resupply missions:

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
I hope we don't see it, but there could come, sooner than a day when these stranded men demand the chance for a iffy return to Earth.
My understanding is Elon could go get them and would have a very high probability of success. Like standard probabilities when discussing doing anything in space, but NASA really doesnt want to admit failure.

If NASA cannot get them 2 bedrock American staples ( NASA and Boeing) are likely to never recover. NASA is over funded as shit and a troll on the internet gets the job done better and Boeing is ****ed no matter what.

Boeing can't wipe its ass without having it fall aper right now.

My understanding is Elon could go get them and would have a very high probability of success. Like standard probabilities when discussing doing anything in space, but NASA really doesnt want to admit failure.

If NASA cannot get them 2 bedrock American staples ( NASA and Boeing) are likely to never recover. NASA is over funded as shit and a troll on the internet gets the job done better and Boeing is ****ed no matter what.

Boeing can't wipe its ass without having it fall aper right now.
The failure is Boeing's.
NASA contracts with several private companies for space transport.
Boeing just happens to be the worst.

The failure is Boeing's.
NASA contracts with several private companies for space transport.
Boeing just happens to be the worst.
I don't doubt that but what's the point of "Nasa" at this point.

( some version of Nasa will exist but blow that shit up and start over with Elon in charge, we will spend 1/3rd the money and do twice as much. )

I sure hope they packed extra freeze dried ice cream.

Uh Oh Sam GIF by GLOW Netflix

Boeing should consider not letting business majors run an engineering company.
Well in fairness, Dennis Mullenberg, a native Iowan and ISU engineering major, did even worse when he ran the company. Two fatal airplane crashes, hundreds of deaths, and lied repeatedly to Congress under his watch.

I don't doubt that but what's the point of "Nasa" at this point.

( some version of Nasa will exist but blow that shit up and start over with Elon in charge, we will spend 1/3rd the money and do twice as much. )
Lulz x 1000

You have already proven you don’t know how NASA is currently constructed, now you are doubling down and proposing the fix is Elon? Elon/Space X operating under government control would not spend 1/3 the money and do 2x as much.

Lulz x 1000

You have already proven you don’t know how NASA is currently constructed, now you are doubling down and proposing the fix is Elon? Elon/Space X operating under government control would not spend 1/3 the money and do 2x as much.
Sounds like the government control part is the problem then. Lets fix that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT