ADVERTISEMENT

NASA cancels first all-women spacewalk due to lack of small spacesuits

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
What should have been a giant leap for womankind has turned into a stumble on the path to equality after U.S. space agency NASA canceled the first all-female spacewalk due to a lack of a spacesuit in the right size.

Anne McClain and Christina Koch had been due to step into history books in a spacewalk on Friday, during the final week of Women’s History Month.

But McClain will now give up her place on the mission to her male colleague Nick Hague, NASA announced late Monday.

“Mission managers decided to adjust the assignments, due in part to spacesuit availability on the station,” NASA said in a statement.

“McClain learned during her first spacewalk that a medium-size hard upper torso — essentially the shirt of the spacesuit — fits her best. Because only one medium-size torso can be made ready by Friday, March 29, Koch will wear it.”

Nearly 60 years after the first human blasted off into space, less than 11 percent of the 500 plus people who have traveled to space have been women, and spacewalk teams have either been all-male or male-female.

McClain and Koch were both part of the 2013 NASA class that was 50 percent women.

NASA said the decision to change the plan was made in consultation with McClain after a spacewalk last week.

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW ADVERTISEMENT

“Anne trained in M and L and thought she could use a large but decided after Friday’s spacewalk a medium fits better,” wrote spokeswoman Stephanie Schierholz on Twitter.

“In this case, it’s easier (and faster!) to change spacewalkers than reconfigure the spacesuit.”

The NASA announcement was met with disappointment and anger by many following the much-anticipated mission on social media, with some arguing an all-female spacewalk was overdue.

Others said they were sad that a milestone moment on women’s space exploration had been deferred, but safety came first.

“I’m super disappointed about the all-woman spacewalk not happening as scheduled this Friday but I’m also super supportive of astronauts having the authority to say ‘I would be safer using a different piece of equipment’,” wrote Emily Lakdawalla, a senior editor at the U.S. nonprofit The Planetary Society.

“An all-woman spacewalk WILL eventually happen.” (Reporting by Sonia Elks @soniaelks; Editing by Belinda Goldsmith)

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/...acesuits-anne-mcclain-christina-koch-20190326

money-banking-logistics-planning_department-department-irony-lack_of_foresight-jmo0479_low.jpg

We now can fully reap the rewards of that $100M spent in the 60’s to study “Tampons and pre-menopausal women in Space”

In space courtesy, I’m assuming it’s polite for the men to open the airlock door for women right? Or is it cool if the computer does it and has a boys name like Hal?

Reactions: NDallasRuss
Does this mean that the male astronauts will not get to wear diapers and travel across country, chasing after ex-boyfriends? That'll even things up.

Also...this could be the dumbest line in the history of journalism...

"What should have been a giant leap for womankind has turned into a stumble on the path to equality...".

I guess they are getting paid the same as the men so they moved on from the whole 77 cents thing.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
The study confirmed the original hypothesis that menstruating astronauts would attract space bears.

JkAOxpdQ_400x400.jpg

I think the women will be ok during their space walk provided they pack a space pic’nica basket first and leave it sitting out on the opposite side of the space station. Or maybe bake a space pie and set it out to cool.
Space%2BBear.bmp

My takeaway here is that how the hell does NASA put together a plan like that and then not have the right sized gear for the people that are going?

Because they had it planned with a man and a woman and Mika from Morning Joe complained that it's not equality unless BOTH are women and NASA buckled.

My takeaway here is that how the hell does NASA put together a plan like that and then not have the right sized gear for the people that are going?

Do you have any idea how long it will take to get a woman specific spacesuit approved??? First they have to design it and that’s actually the easy part. Getting it pushed through the court of public opinion these days is gonna take forever.

3654566_sa.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

Having suits that are designed to fit males seems more political than safety to me.
89% of those who've been to space have been males. Why wouldn't the majority of the suits be designed to fit them? It would be political if half the suits were designed to fit females.

89% of those who've been to space have been males. Why wouldn't the majority of the suits be designed to fit them? It would be political if half the suits were designed to fit females.

I don't care about ratios of suits, it just seems like horrendous planning to target an all-female space walk and not be able to adequately suit two female astronauts. It's not like her size was an unknown surprise.

Reactions: cigaretteman
But NASA only has one suit that fits a woman? How does that happen?

But NASA only has one suit that fits a woman? How does that happen?

Closet space is a tight commodity on the space station. And of course, cargo space on a rocket is quite valuable, too. You don't send anything up there that's not absolutely needed.

Closet space is a tight commodity on the space station. And of course, cargo space on a rocket is quite valuable, too. You don't send anything up there that's not absolutely needed.
That’s why you’ll probably never see a Chick-fil-a in space.

Reactions: HIWB
I don't care about ratios of suits, it just seems like horrendous planning to target an all-female space walk and not be able to adequately suit two female astronauts. It's not like her size was an unknown surprise.

This is the real mess up here. How do you plan a spacewalk without first asking if you have the suits on hand for the job.

Extra mediums are hard to find.

It says they learned of the issue on her first walk. So it's not like they could have known beforehand.

Reminds me of the last words from the space shuttle that exploded “ Ok Chirstie, you can drive now”.
Sad day.

Why does it matter to have an all woman space walk in the first place? If I were there and something happened, I'd be comforted to have help while needing to save the women.

Why does it matter to have an all woman space walk in the first place? If I were there and something happened, I'd be comforted to have help while needing to save the women.

There was going to be a movie and everything. Now, all that is gone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT