ADVERTISEMENT

NASCAR launching electric racing series in 2023

Masterprime

HR All-State
Jul 8, 2020

Shock: NASCAR launching electric racing series in 2023, leaked documents say​

NASCAR hasn't hidden its intention to electrify stock car racing in the coming years, but it may happen sooner than expected.
Documents uncovered by the Kickin' the Tires website reveal potential plans to launch an electric support series next year.

According to the report, NASCAR will demonstrate a prototype electric racing car during the Clash at the L.A. Coliseum pre-season event in February, then follow it up with a six-race series "aligned with Cup Series" weekends.

The cars will be modified Cup Series cars with fully electric, all-wheel-drive powertrains rated near 1,000 horsepower, compared to the 670 hp V8s used in the conventional vehicles.

@Joes Place is now NASCAR's biggest spokesman...
NASCARCupAutoRacing%20(1).JPG

47918b040f222f5d848b90b5d9a06ccd285c2168.jpg

Interesting. Might convince the rednecks that it’s cool to have EV.

I was thinking the new Corvette looks awesome. A true super car. That being said it would be silly to get one, the next one will be electric and likely have a 0-60 under two seconds.

• Wow
Reactions: 8kun.top
Interesting. Might convince the rednecks that it’s cool to have EV.

I was thinking the new Corvette looks awesome. A true super car. That being said it would be silly to get one, the next one will be electric and likely have a 0-60 under two seconds.
The last gasoline powered one will be a helluva collectible.

Reactions: Masterprime
For those of you that like auto racing, part of the fun and experience is the smell and the roar of the engines.
For NASCAR, it'd be nice to not wear hearing protection for that long.

For NHRA, it would completely change the visceral experience of Top Fuel and Funny Car.
In person, the exhaust percussion is so severe your vision blurs.
I admit to loving the smell of tire smoke.

That's very cool. I hope it works out. Could be a huge step for ev cars. Especially if they can get the speeds up.

Will they be allowed to swap out battery units mid-race or will they have to sit in the pit area recharging?

That could make for some interesting strategy, trying to calculate the bare minimum time you have to leave the car on the charger in order to have enough
juice to finish the race.

Will they be allowed to swap out battery units mid-race or will they have to sit in the pit area recharging?

That could make for some interesting strategy, trying to calculate the bare minimum time you have to leave the car on the charger in order to have enough
juice to finish the race.
Article said short races without pit stops.

A race without pit stops will get a big no from their fans.
I dont think it's the pit stops that will make it a no to most. Someone on Facebook will make some political meme about it and the magas will be up in arms against it from the get go.

ADVERTISEMENT