ADVERTISEMENT

Nashville shooter was under a doctor’s care for ‘emotional disorder

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
The Nashville school shooter legally purchased seven firearms ahead of Monday’s deadly attack at a private Christian school that left three children and three adults dead, according to police.
Audrey Elizabeth Hale, 28, was armed with three of them — two AR-style weapons and a handgun — when entering the school, killing six people, including three children, police said.

The shooter had been under a doctor’s care for an undisclosed emotional disorder but wasn’t previously known to authorities, John Drake, chief of the Metropolitan Nashville Police Department, said at a news conference Tuesday. The shooter’s parents thought that Hale should not own weapons, Drake said, and were “under the impression” that Hale had sold any firearms.

Law enforcement officials said they had no information showing that Hale had targeted any of the individuals killed in Monday’s shooting at the Covenant School, a small academy housed within a Presbyterian church that served about 200 students from preschool to sixth grade and where Hale had previously been a student. They said they were still searching for a motive.

“This church building was a target of the shooter, but we have no information at present, no evidence to indicate an individual the shooter was specifically targeting,” said Don Aaron, a Nashville police spokesman.
Press Enter to skip to end of carousel

Mass killings in the U.S.​

When is something a mass killing?
The Washington Post uses the term mass killing to describe any event in which four or more people, excluding the shooter, are killed by gunfire.
The Post generally only uses the term mass shooting when we’re citing an organization such as the Gun Violence Archive whose definition differs from ours. The GVA defines a mass shooting as an event in which four or more people, excluding the shooter, are injured or killed by gunfire, including events with no fatalities.
Are these events becoming more common?
In 2022, there were
647 mass shootings (here are the events in 2023 so far.). In 2021, 2020 and 2019, there were 690, 610 and 417, respectively. Before that, the Gun Violence Archive tracked fewer than 400 a year since 2014. Most gun deaths continue to be from suicides and homicides, with men making up the majority of both perpetrators and victims.
How to stay safe in a mass shooting
Every situation is different, but experts advise that you try to stay down, small and out of sight; move away from the gunfire as quickly as is safe; and hide behind a wall if possible.
Where to find support
News of mass killings can be upsetting, especially if you are dealing with violence-related trauma. But help is available. You can call or text 988 for the national 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline if you’re experiencing any kind of crisis (it’s not only for suicidal thoughts). Here are more resources.
1/5
End of carousel
Police identified the victims as students Evelyn Dieckhaus, Hallie Scruggs and William Kinney, all 9; and staff members Cynthia Peak, 61; Katherine Koonce, 60; and Mike Hill, 61.

Police initially said the shooter was a 28-year-old woman and then later said Hale was transgender, citing a social media profile in which Hale used masculine pronouns. The Post has not yet confirmed how Hale identified.
The latest revelations came as Nashville police released footage from body-worn cameras that depicts officers confronting and opening fire on Hale inside the school Monday, killing the shooter.

The incident unfolded over less than 15 minutes in a leafy suburban area about 10 miles south of central Nashville. Police said they received a 911 call about a shooter at the school at 10:13 a.m. and were on-site minutes later.
On Tuesday, Drake said Hale’s parents were cooperating with authorities and were shocked by the incident. He said Hale’s mother told police she had seen Hale leaving the house Monday morning ahead of the attack. The woman asked Hale what was in a bag Hale had, but Hale “dismissed” the question, according to Drake.
“She didn’t know that her daughter had any weapons,” Drake said, adding that Hale’s parents “had lost a child.”
“This was very traumatic for them,” he said.

The Nashville school shooter legally purchased seven firearms ahead of Monday’s deadly attack at a private Christian school that left three children and three adults dead, according to police.
Audrey Elizabeth Hale, 28, was armed with three of them — two AR-style weapons and a handgun — when entering the school, killing six people, including three children, police said.

The shooter had been under a doctor’s care for an undisclosed emotional disorder but wasn’t previously known to authorities, John Drake, chief of the Metropolitan Nashville Police Department, said at a news conference Tuesday. The shooter’s parents thought that Hale should not own weapons, Drake said, and were “under the impression” that Hale had sold any firearms.

Law enforcement officials said they had no information showing that Hale had targeted any of the individuals killed in Monday’s shooting at the Covenant School, a small academy housed within a Presbyterian church that served about 200 students from preschool to sixth grade and where Hale had previously been a student. They said they were still searching for a motive.

“This church building was a target of the shooter, but we have no information at present, no evidence to indicate an individual the shooter was specifically targeting,” said Don Aaron, a Nashville police spokesman.
Press Enter to skip to end of carousel

Mass killings in the U.S.​

When is something a mass killing?
The Washington Post uses the term mass killing to describe any event in which four or more people, excluding the shooter, are killed by gunfire.
The Post generally only uses the term mass shooting when we’re citing an organization such as the Gun Violence Archive whose definition differs from ours. The GVA defines a mass shooting as an event in which four or more people, excluding the shooter, are injured or killed by gunfire, including events with no fatalities.
Are these events becoming more common?
In 2022, there were
647 mass shootings (here are the events in 2023 so far.). In 2021, 2020 and 2019, there were 690, 610 and 417, respectively. Before that, the Gun Violence Archive tracked fewer than 400 a year since 2014. Most gun deaths continue to be from suicides and homicides, with men making up the majority of both perpetrators and victims.
How to stay safe in a mass shooting
Every situation is different, but experts advise that you try to stay down, small and out of sight; move away from the gunfire as quickly as is safe; and hide behind a wall if possible.
Where to find support
News of mass killings can be upsetting, especially if you are dealing with violence-related trauma. But help is available. You can call or text 988 for the national 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline if you’re experiencing any kind of crisis (it’s not only for suicidal thoughts). Here are more resources.
1/5
End of carousel
Police identified the victims as students Evelyn Dieckhaus, Hallie Scruggs and William Kinney, all 9; and staff members Cynthia Peak, 61; Katherine Koonce, 60; and Mike Hill, 61.

Police initially said the shooter was a 28-year-old woman and then later said Hale was transgender, citing a social media profile in which Hale used masculine pronouns. The Post has not yet confirmed how Hale identified.
The latest revelations came as Nashville police released footage from body-worn cameras that depicts officers confronting and opening fire on Hale inside the school Monday, killing the shooter.

The incident unfolded over less than 15 minutes in a leafy suburban area about 10 miles south of central Nashville. Police said they received a 911 call about a shooter at the school at 10:13 a.m. and were on-site minutes later.
On Tuesday, Drake said Hale’s parents were cooperating with authorities and were shocked by the incident. He said Hale’s mother told police she had seen Hale leaving the house Monday morning ahead of the attack. The woman asked Hale what was in a bag Hale had, but Hale “dismissed” the question, according to Drake.
“She didn’t know that her daughter had any weapons,” Drake said, adding that Hale’s parents “had lost a child.”
“This was very traumatic for them,” he said.

Imagine if we had a nationally supported system for dealing with people who suffered from these kinds of problems.

Also imagine if the state of Tennessee actually had a Red Flag law in place.

Could a ‘red flag’ law help prevent shootings in Tennessee?​

Right now, Tennessee does not have an active “red flag” law, but in 2020, Sen. Sara Kyle, D-Memphis, proposed one in the form of Senate Bill 1807.

https://www.wvlt.tv/2022/05/25/could-red-flag-law-help-prevent-shootings-tennessee/

Imagine if we had a nationally supported system for dealing with people who suffered from these kinds of problems.

Right now, Tennessee does not have an active “red flag” law, but in 2020, Sen. Sara Kyle, D-Memphis, proposed one in the form of Senate Bill 1807.

https://www.wvlt.tv/2022/05/25/could-red-flag-law-help-prevent-shootings-tennessee/
Do we know that red flag laws would have stopped Hale? Hell, she lived in her parents’ house and they claim they had no idea she owned 7 guns. How can we have any confidence that these clueless idiots would have red-flagged her?

• Haha
Reactions: BelemNole

They also tried to strip mental healthcare coverage from the Affordable Care Act.

Do we know that red flag laws would have stopped Hale? Hell, she lived in her parents’ house and they claim they had no idea she owned 7 guns. How can we have any confidence that these clueless idiots would have red-flagged her?
I imagine a person who has purchased 7 guns recently would set off some alarms, even if it wasn't her parents, don't you?

I imagine a person who has purchased 7 guns recently would set off some alarms, even if it wasn't her parents, don't you?
That depends on what triggers the red flags. Of course, she really only needed one gun to do what she did.

There’s no easily accessible registry of firearm purchases. If she spread them out, no one would know.

You do realize the shooter's parents could be subjected to a potential civil lawsuit as long as she lived in their home?

Claiming they "knew nothing about the shooter owning a small arsenal" sounds like something the parent's attorney told them to say.

That depends on what triggers the red flags. Of course, she really only needed one gun to do what she did.
Why did she take 3 then?

I don't mean to make light of this most recent tragedy, but Trigger laws can be modified to alert the authorities about anything that would normally make anyone ask, "WTF?"

You do realize the shooter's parents could be subjected to a potential civil lawsuit as long as she lived in their home?

Claiming they "knew nothing about the shooter owning a small arsenal" sounds like something the parent's attorney told them to say.
I’m aware that there is the possibility of civil liability on their part, but that’s a separate issue. My point is that in order for red flag laws to work, someone such as a family member has to raise a red flag. And it kind of sounds like the people who lived in the same damn house were too oblivious to be counted on to raise that red flag.

Last edited:
Reactions: MitchLL
The slightest mention of "gun law reform" scares the crap out of rednecks and the NRA.
I bet they would be more scared if some gun nut stood before them with a gun aimed right between their eyes.

They would start bawling, no doubt, pleading for their lives.

Total Hypocrites.

Last edited:
Why did she take 3 then?

I don't mean to make light of this most recent tragedy, but Trigger laws can be modified to alert the authorities about anything that would normally make anyone ask, "WTF?"
I have no idea why she took three. You’ll have to ask her. My point was that you don’t need 7 guns to shoot up an elementary school. One semiautomatic rifle and a couple of full magazines will do some horrific damage.

I’m aware that there is the possibility of civil liability on their part, but that’s a separate issue. My point is that in order for red flag laws to work, someone such as a family member has to raise a red flag, And it kind of sounds like the people who lived in the same damn house were too oblivious to be counted on to raise that red flag.
Did you not get my point about other laws that could be written to alert the authorities that "someone" has been buying a whole helluva lot of weapons recently?

We have to register our automobiles. Why don't we have registration laws for guns?

Who is keeping this from happening?

Just have to find a method to get guns away from people who have no business possessing them.

Nashville is another argument for that.

Did you not get my point about other laws that could be written to alert the authorities that "someone" has been buying a whole helluva lot of weapons recently?
I saw that point and considered it irrelevant. At what purchase would this red flag go up? Number 7? Number 6?

And what would be the consequence of that red flag? Would they simply stop her from buying the seventh gun? Or would they go to her house and confiscate all of her guns on account of she bought too many within a short time frame?

Because, as I’ve already pointed out, you really only need one gun to shoot up an elementary school.

We have to register our automobiles. Why don't we have registration laws for guns?

Who is keeping this from happening?
The gun lobby is stopping it from happening. My personal opinion is that there should be a national firearm registration database. Everyone should have to successfully complete a safety and education course before purchasing any firearm. And anyone who provides access to a gun, either intentionally or by negligence, to someone who is not authorized to own a gun should be held criminally and civilly liable.

All I’m saying is that I’m not sure red flag laws would have stopped this particular tragedy.

Just have to find a method to get guns away from people who have no business possessing them.

Nashville is another argument for that.
Unfortunately, SCOTUS has ruled that "we all" have a constitutional right to have a gun, in spite of any normally recognized background checks that used to be/should be performed first.

Why doesn't SCOTUS require that all gun owners be members of a "well regulated militia"?

Probably because they know most people don't want to be required to serve and would revolt against that provision?

SCOTUS has totally f*ucked this country, royally. Legislating from the bench I believe is what conservatives used to call it. They have totally overturned recognized precedents that actually gave us a civilized society. Today, we have returned to the Wild West days.

Unfortunately, SCOTUS has ruled that "we all" have a constitutional right to have a gun, in spite of any normally recognized background checks that used to be/should be performed first.

Why doesn't SCOTUS require that all gun owners be members of a "well regulated militia"?

Probably because they know most people don't want to be required to serve and would revolt against that provision?

SCOTUS has totally f*ucked this country, royally. Legislating from the bench I believe is what conservatives used to call it. They have totally overturned recognized precedents that actually gave us a civilized society. Today, we have returned to the Wild West days.
BS

I saw that point and considered it irrelevant. At what purchase would this red flag go up? Number 7? Number 6?

And what would be the consequence of that red flag? Would they simply stop her from buying the seventh gun? Or would they go to her house and confiscate all of her guns on account of she bought too many within a short time frame?

Because, as I’ve already pointed out, you really only need one gun to shoot up an elementary school.

The gun lobby is stopping it from happening. My personal opinion is that there should be a national firearm registration database. Everyone should have to successfully complete a safety and education course before purchasing any firearm. And anyone who provides access to a gun, either intentionally or by negligence, to someone who is not authorized to own a gun should be held criminally and civilly liable.

All I’m saying is that I’m not sure red flag laws would have stopped this particular tragedy.
They couldn't have hurt. It's time for all hands and solutions on deck.

We've gotten to the point where sane people need to take the initiative and force those who stand in the way for reasonable solutions to get out of the way. No more excuses. If you aren't a part of the solution, you are part of the problem.

How many people, especially children, need to needlessly die? Guns have become the leading cause of death for our children. It never should have gotten this far.

We need to build a nationwide database of people receiving mental health treatment. All therapists, clergy, psychologists and psychiatrists should be required to submit names into the database and then all weapons sellers must have access to this database and deny purchase until the person has been taken off the list.

Sounds like she used a Kal tec 9mm. Not an AR style rifle, different design and fires a 9mm, can be 40 cal, either way, pistol rounds and not very powerful pistol rounds at that.

Just because it's black doesn't mean it's an AR.

Also, this lady was a piece of shit. She plotted this killing and picked the softest available target.

Audrey Hale was a piece of shit, and she died a piece of shits death.

Sounds like she used a Kal tec 9mm. Not an AR style rifle, different design and fires a 9mm, can be 40 cal, either way, pistol rounds and not very powerful pistol rounds at that.

Just because it's black doesn't mean it's an AR.

Also, this lady was a piece of shit. She plotted this killing and picked the softest available target.

Audrey Hale was a piece of shit, and she died a piece of shits death.

I love when guntards go full guntard.

“Oh, yeah, see, that’s not actually very powerful, it just has the capability to murder people but in reality the velocity of the projectile is actually slower than an AR 15”

fuking dork

I love when guntards go full guntard.

“Oh, yeah, see, that’s not actually very powerful, it just has the capability to murder people but in reality the velocity of the projectile is actually slower than an AR 15”

fuking dork
Glad you enjoyed it. Knowledge is power.

It's red, and has 2 doors, it must be a sports car.

1995-dodge-neon-101-1606146655.jpg

*and a spoiler

Last edited:
I’m aware that there is the possibility of civil liability on their part, but that’s a separate issue. My point is that in order for red flag laws to work, someone such as a family member has to raise a red flag. And it kind of sounds like the people who lived in the same damn house were too oblivious to be counted on to raise that red flag.

I believe his point was that it is possible they are lying now - that perhaps they DID know she had multiple guns but had nowhere to turn to warn anyone of a problem, so now they are covering their asses.

Reactions: TJ8869
We need to build a nationwide database of people receiving mental health treatment. All therapists, clergy, psychologists and psychiatrists should be required to submit names into the database and then all weapons sellers must have access to this database and deny purchase until the person has been taken off the list.
Hippa violation. Thank the Dems for thst law

Oblivious no. It's far easier to ignore than confront difficult truths

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT