ADVERTISEMENT

Nate Meir/Past Iowa DE's

Hawkeyeinsoutherncalifornia

HR All-American
Mar 9, 2017
Van Nuys, California
Does anyone know how this former Hawkeye has been doing/or doing now a days? I was watching the MSU/IOWA.. 2015 BT Championship game and a few other games last night and noticed how much IOWA has missed his explosiveness off the ball at the end spot.. no knock to our current defensive ends who are long and lanky but slower off the first few steps and lack the real quickness like Meir had ... even going back to the Leroy Smith days where they were undersized but were cat quick we seemed to have a better rush as the quickness overcame the lack of size as those guys such a Smith used great technique, leverage and quickness to get to the ball carrier faster .. JMHO.. but a prototypical DE in my eyes would be a 6'3/6'4 250 to 260 guy with wheels and cat quicks.. can you say "Welcome aboard Epenesa"!

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Thought he was going to try to make it at linebacker in the NFL. Actually, thought that was his best position but went to DE for the team.

Does anyone know how this former Hawkeye has been doing/or doing now a days? I was watching the MSU/IOWA.. 2015 BT Championship game and a few other games last night and noticed how much IOWA has missed his explosiveness off the ball at the end spot.. no knock to our current defensive ends who are long and lanky but slower off the first few steps and lack the real quickness like Meir had ... even going back to the Leroy Smith days where they were undersized but were cat quick we seemed to have a better rush as the quickness overcame the lack of size as those guys such a Smith used great technique, leverage and quickness to get to the ball carrier faster .. JMHO.. but a prototypical DE in my eyes would be a 6'3/6'4 250 to 260 guy with wheels and cat quicks.. can you say "Welcome aboard Epenesa"!

Meier was a terrific Hawk and got the most out of his ability. Iowa is deeper and better now at DE than the 2015 roster. Anthony Nelson, in playing about half the snaps in 2016, had 8 TFL and 6 sacks. Meier, playing almost all the snaps and one more game in 2015, had 10 TFL and 7 sacks. Nelson was also a redshirt freshmen in his 2016 season, while Meier was a senior in 2015. A. Nelson has the quick-twitch speed and explosiveness to be a premier defensive end, along with the prototypical size to help him better stand up to the run.

Leroy Smith was terrific, a high school running back who was moved to defense due to the depth at RB. A sight to behold in getting to the QB. KF has had some premier defensive ends in Clayborn and Matt Roth as well.

Iowa will certainly have more options this year in rushing the passer. In passing downs, could easily see Iowa use A. Nelson, Epenesa, Hesse and M. Nelson on the field at the same time, 4 DE types who can all move.

Reactions: cmhawks99
I thought he was playing over in like Japan with Canzeri and another Hawk
I'm not sure if Canzeri is there but Nate is in Japan playing football. I can't quite remember which former Hawk was in the picture I saw of him the other day. I wanna say there are maybe two other Hawks there with him.

From what I understand, each team can only have 3 total American's on the roster.

Iowa will certainly have more options this year in rushing the passer. In passing downs, could easily see Iowa use A. Nelson, Epenesa, Hesse and M. Nelson on the field at the same time, 4 DE types who can all move.

I disagree about M Nelson being a DE type who can move. He has provided little to no pass rush in his first 2 seasons. He does not get off the LOS. Great size but he should be an OT not a DE. I think A Nelson is the better player and should get more snaps between the 2.

I disagree about M Nelson being a DE type who can move. He has provided little to no pass rush in his first 2 seasons. He does not get off the LOS. Great size but he should be an OT not a DE. I think A Nelson is the better player and should get more snaps between the 2.

Last year was the first time he played many snaps at all. 5.5 sacks. He doesn't move as well as Hesse and A. Nelson, but he's not a statue.

Brandon Simon looked pretty dam good to me in the spring game. He's behind some good players, but I think he has a bright future.

In my opinion Iowa hasnt had an elite pass rusher since Clayborn. AJ will be the next one.
Ott was on his way to having a monster season before he got injured. He didn't play in most of the games during 2015, but he still had like 6 sacks or so.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT