LuteHawk

HR Legend
Nov 30, 2011
Lindy's Big Ten Football 2018 Preview magazine rates
#1......Penn State's Trace McSorley
#2......Michigan;s Shea Patterson
#3......Michigan State;s Brian Lewerke
#4......Iowa;s Nate Stanley

All of these QB's are Juniors except Trace McSorley.
Nate Stanley had 26 TD's passes last season and it
would be great if he throws another 25 TD passes this
season.

Reactions: Nile High
That is a fair list.

McSorley has average skills but he is just a winner.
Patterson is likely an NFL QB but if he transferred to Indiana, he won't be on this list.
Lewerke is McSorley with a better skill set.
Stanley has a chance to be very special because he can physcially make all the throws. He just needs to clean up some routes, like the deep 3rd and XY cross.

IMO, if your buying stock in these players, I would say its Patterson (1) and Stanley (2) but definitely debateable. Lewerke (3) and McSorley (4). Despite some QBs that are a little undersized getting drafted as of late, I don’t think McSorley has an NFL arm unlike Tribisky and Mayfield.

Reactions: grayhair81
Nate Stanley has two more years at Iowa. He has
the opportunity to accomplish some great things.
As long as the offensive line gives him protection,
he should be good to go.

As others have said, Patterson threw for 2200 yards and 17 TDs while completing 63% of passes at Ole Miss...in 7 games.

I have no problem with those rankings as the top 4 going into the season based on how they fit as college QBs and accomplishments.

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
As others have said, Patterson threw for 2200 yards and 17 TDs while completing 63% of passes at Ole Miss...in 7 games.

I have no problem with those rankings as the top 4 going into the season based on how they fit as college QBs and accomplishments.
And he had 9 interceptions. 6 tds/5 Int in conference and 11 tds/4int in non conference. Also, he was a 5 star recruit, so again, that makes him a star at Mich.

Last edited:
Reactions: pacnorthhawkeye
More than fair rating. All the QBs above Stanley have demonstrated their value. Surprised that osu's superstar didn't automatically begin his career rated in the top-3 -- that by itself says the b1g has some good qbs.

Where does a healthy Clayton Thorson fit into the rankings?
A healthy Ct would've challenged for the #4 spot for sure. You guys are going to be a load with that 3-year transfer pickup for the forseeable future. One request for you to convey to bro Fitz: since you dingos are a lock to knock off Iowa (every year), please do the same to Wisconsin as well.

Better than Stanley? His stats don’t paint that picture. I don’t care how many stars he had.

He had 100 less total yards and 8 less touchdowns, with a higher completion percentage and higher QB rating...in half as many games.

Look, I love Stanley and think he is going to light it up for two more years, on his way to a high draft pick. Kid has all the physical tools and appears to be a very smart player as well.

But at this point you are just complaining because the QB is a Michigan QB. He's a highly rated QB that in limited time put up very good numbers, while yes, being added to a high profile program.

Better than Stanley? His stats don’t paint that picture. I don’t care how many stars he had.

I think they're both really good. It's clearly not egregious to list him ahead of Stanley as you suggested, that's for sure.

He had 100 less total yards and 8 less touchdowns, with a higher completion percentage and higher QB rating...in half as many games.

Look, I love Stanley and think he is going to light it up for two more years, on his way to a high draft pick. Kid has all the physical tools and appears to be a very smart player as well.

But at this point you are just complaining because the QB is a Michigan QB. He's a highly rated QB that in limited time put up very good numbers, while yes, being added to a high profile program.
Your last point is probably why he’s rated above Stanley. Vs the SEC, 58%, 6 tds, 5 ints, 124.6 raring. Stanley vs B1G, 54.2%, 15 tds, 5 ints, 125.5 rating. Patterson had 9 tds and 1 int vs South Alabama and Tennessee-Martin, completing 80% and 74%, inflated stats. Stanley had the same amount of interceptions in league play in 5 more games. We can both use stats to make our point, imho, Stanley is better.

Again I don’t care what his star ranking was. If you want to use that then he’s underperforming in my opinion compared to Stanley.

Reactions: clayborn_94

You are right, we should recognize talent where it is regardless

I wish Stanley had more mobility, but perhaps he can just keep developing pocket awareness. If this occurs and he continues to improve, I'd be a much bigger fan.

The new QB at Michigan will have a better supporting
cast with the Wolverines.

Not really ole miss has arguably the best Wr in the country and their offense was really good. And damn near 1000 of those yards and 9 TDS came against Tennessee Martin and south Alabama beat downs which were 2 of his 3 wins while there. so we will see I think it’s just the Michigan hype I think he will be solid but not what takes them to the top.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT