ADVERTISEMENT

National Bourbon Day

I'll continue the downward spiral. 5.

Correction...6.. missed Old Crow.

I've never had bourbon. Is it good? Is it like beer, but brown and comes in a smaller serving?

Reactions: GOHOX69
24 for me. 25 if my favorite, Elmer T. Lee, was on that list (which it should have been).

I've never had bourbon. Is it good? Is it like beer, but brown and comes in a smaller serving?
Not really much different than some whiskey.

Matter of fact some Canadian whiskey meets all the criteria of bourbon except that they were not produced in the USA.

36 of that list...and many more. I have a dozen from that list currently on my shelf...along with several others not listed.
I may have a problem.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
37. Bourbon is my drink of choice and I always try a new one if it is available when out for dinner or drinks.

I'm at 22. We don't have a decent bourbon bar around here so it can be tough to try some of the more obscure ones.

Very interesting list. Mostly or maybe even all bourbons from Kentucky. Meanwhile, you're starting to see bourbons from other states at the top of the best bourbon lists like Whistlepig in Vermont, Union Horse from Kansas, Triple Eight Notch from Massachusetts, Balcones from Texas etc...

Very interesting list. Mostly or maybe even all bourbons from Kentucky. Meanwhile, you're starting to see bourbons from other states at the top of the best bourbon lists like Whistlepig in Vermont, Union Horse from Kansas, Triple Eight Notch from Massachusetts, Balcones from Texas etc...
I've never had Whistle Pig bourbon but I have 2 of their ryes on the shelf now. Another non Kentucky bourbon I enjoy is Hudson out of New York.

Last edited:
CSB forthcoming...

A few years ago I was in Stockholm, Sweden at an Irish pub. We walk in and sitting at the bar were a bunch of tough guy/biker types. So I do as any good, self-respecting man would do at an Irish pub, and I order a Guinness.

The guy I'm with, a Brit, orders a freakin' pear cider.

I look at him like, "WTF is wrong with you? You're letting our whole gender down with that order."

He says, "What? Pear cider is delicious and refreshing, and it's a hot day today. You should have one. You'll love it. Also (he starts whispering now) take a look at what all of these guys are drinking at the bar."

Sure enough, like 3 or 4 of these guys are drinking ciders...over ice no less.

Indignant, I tell him, "I'm a man. I don't drink cider!"

We go back and forth for a while, and after I finish my Guinness, I'm convinced by my friend to shut up and order a pear cider...my first cider in my life.

Holy shyte was it ever delicious! Tasty, refreshing, sweet...I'm converted to cider, on the spot.

Fast forward a week or two later...I'm back from my trip abroad.

My fiance, a bourbon drinker, and I go into a liquor store. She grabs a handle of bourbon - Barton's 1792 for those keeping track at home - and I grab a 4-pack of diminutive 11.2 oz. cans of Rekorderlig pear cider.

She walks up to the register first and sets her handle down and I proudly set my cute little 4-pack of pear cider next to hers. As I pull my credit card out to pay the cashier, a grizzled old biker, ~75 years old, in all likelihood a Vietnam vet who killed more Viet Cong in his life than I have killed kittens, masturbating, looks at my fiance w/her bottle of 1792 and nods approvingly...then looks at me with what now appears to me to be my thoroughly-wussified cider...and starts shaking his head vehemently in disbelief, with clear disapproval and utter disdain, as if to say "I fought for your freedom so you could do this?!"

"No you don't understand," I tell him..."It's delicious and refresh...."

CSB forthcoming...

A few years ago I was in Stockholm, Sweden at an Irish pub. We walk in and sitting at the bar were a bunch of tough guy/biker types. So I do as any good, self-respecting man would do at an Irish pub, and I order a Guinness.

I look at him like, "WTF is wrong with you? You're letting our whole gender down with that order."

He says, "What? Pear cider is delicious and refreshing, and it's a hot day today. You should have one. You'll love it. Also (he starts whispering now) take a look at what all of these guys are drinking at the bar."

We go back and forth for a while, and after I finish my Guinness, I'm convinced by my friend to shut up and order a pear cider...my first cider in my life.

Holy shyte was it ever delicious! Tasty, refreshing, sweet...I'm converted to cider, on the spot.

My fiance, a bourbon drinker, and I go into a liquor store. She grabs a handle of bourbon - Barton's 1792 for those keeping track at home - and I grab a 4-pack of diminutive 11.2 oz. cans of Rekorderlig pear cider.

She walks up to the register first and sets her handle down and I proudly set my cute little 4-pack of pear cider next to hers. As I pull my credit card out to pay the cashier, a grizzled old biker, ~75 years old, in all likelihood a Vietnam vet who killed more Viet Cong in his life than I have killed kittens, masturbating, looks at my fiance w/her bottle of 1792 and nods approvingly...then looks at me with what now appears to me to be my thoroughly-wussified cider...and starts shaking his head vehemently in disbelief, with clear disapproval and utter disdain, as if to say "I fought for your freedom so you could do this?!"

Truly a cool story but what do you have against masturbating kittens?

Reactions: lucas80
I've never had Whistle Pig bourbon but I have 2 of their ryes on the shelf now. Another non Kentucky bourbon I enjoy is Hudson out of New York.

Whistle Pig is an excellent sipping whiskey, but are we calling it a bourbon? Might need a ruling from @FSUTribe76 , but if it is not corn based , and can be a bourbon, I will need to change my answer.

Whistle Pig is an excellent sipping whiskey, but are we calling it a bourbon? Might need a ruling from @FSUTribe76 , but if it is not corn based , and can be a bourbon, I will need to change my answer.
@FSUTribe76 is the one who put Whistle Pig in the bourbon category. I thought that maybe they had a product that I didn't know. Bourbon has to have at least 51% corn in the mash bill to qualify. Whistle Pig is 100% rye.

Btw, I have a cask strength WP that's 116.7 proof. Very nice.

Oops, no. I thought from memory they made a bourbon and the ryes but it looks like I was wrong. They only do rye whiskey. So remove Whistlepig, but my point about other great bourbons outside of Kentucky still stand.

@FSUTribe76 is the one who put Whistle Pig in the bourbon category. I thought that maybe they had a product that I didn't know. Bourbon has to have at least 51% corn in the mash bill to qualify. Whistle Pig is 100% rye.

Btw, I have a cask strength WP that's 116.7 proof. Very nice.

Yeah, I thought they had both a bourbon and a rye but I must have been thinking of one of their rye variations and believing it to be a bourbon. But they do only have ryes.

Last edited:
CSB forthcoming...

Nothing wrong with ciders and perry other than there aren't nearly enough cideries.

One of the oldest bourbon distilleries in the country (if not shut down during Prohibition) is back in business now:

New-Dist-logojpg.jpg

23 for me, a lot of them during a seminar/convention on Louisville last fall. I never was my h of a bourbon drinker until about 18 months ago, but I have developed a liking for it.

23 for me, a lot of them during a seminar/convention on Louisville last fall. I never was my h of a bourbon drinker until about 18 months ago, but I have developed a liking for it.
When we were in Louisville for a game a few years ago, I was like a kid in a candy store all over that town.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
When we were in Louisville for a game a few years ago, I was like a kid in a candy store all over that town.

You should go back. In the last 2 years, Old Forester, Michter’s, and Rabbit Hole have recently opened shops on Main Street with Old Forester having one of the best tours in Kentucky. They have their own cooperage upstairs and you can watch a barrel being made, then charred...the only distillery tour to offer such an experience that I’m aware of.
If you do ever return, hit up Proof on Main. One of the best selections with reasonable prices in the city.

ADVERTISEMENT