ADVERTISEMENT

National Bourbon Day

I was about to buy a bottle of Angels Envy last week but didn’t pull the trigger. It was $49. Is it worth it?

I have 3 full bottles of eagle rare. I drink it a lot.

I was about to buy a bottle of Angels Envy last week but didn’t pull the trigger. It was $49. Is it worth it?

I have 3 full bottles of eagle rare. I drink it a lot.

That’s as cheap as you’ll find AE. If you like your bourbon on the sweeter side, Angels Envy is a good choice. The rye even more so, but it runs ~$80.
Neither are anything like Eagle Rare if you’re looking for something similar. For a comparable price and age, Give Russell’s Reserve 10 yr a try for ~$35.

At 28, but probably closer to 32+. Have had quite a few at tastings that are probably on that list.

On another close topic, is there any company that can match the buffalo trace catalog? If you had to pick one to drink from for the rest of your life, it'd have to be them right?

That’s as cheap as you’ll find AE. If you like your bourbon on the sweeter side, Angels Envy is a good choice. The rye even more so, but it runs ~$80.
Neither are anything like Eagle Rare if you’re looking for something similar. For a comparable price and age, Give Russell’s Reserve 10 yr a try for ~$35.
I’m not a fan of the sweeter stuff. I had a bottle of the Baysel Hayden and frankly didn’t like it. It was too soft.

I pretty much stay in the Buffalo Trace family. I have 3 of the bottles, I just need a HROT friend to send me a bottle of Pappy

I’m not a fan of the sweeter stuff. I had a bottle of the Baysel Hayden and frankly didn’t like it. It was too soft.

I pretty much stay in the Buffalo Trace family. I have 3 of the bottles, I just need a HROT friend to send me a bottle of Pappy
The longer I drink bourbon, the more I like a strong finish. I'm much more a fan of the high ryes. Much, if not most, of the Buffalo Trace family are wheated. I have also moved to high proofs or cask strengths. Knob Creek Single Barrel at 100 proof is my daily drinker. I have 4 different bottles over 115 proof in the cabinet now.

The longer I drink bourbon, the more I like a strong finish. I'm much more a fan of the high ryes. Much, if not most, of the Buffalo Trace family are wheated. I have also moved to high proofs or cask strengths. Knob Creek Single Barrel at 100 proof is my daily drinker. I have 4 different bottles over 115 proof in the cabinet now.
I bought a small bottle of Buffalo Trace White Dog. 125 proof. I have to shave my chest after each drink

Bulleit bourbon & Templeton 6 year are my go tos, but I do like to sample. If you're in the Carolinas, look for Doc Porter rye, it's a local Charlotte craft distillery.

My oldest just had a baseball tournament in Charleston this weekend, so I took advantage of the opportunity to shop something other than NC's state selection. Heading home with a bottle of Belle Meade 9 year aged in a Sherry cask and a Bird Dog 10 year. Haven't had either, but they looked interesting.

I had some Pappy Van Winkle, liked it (I do not profess to have any skill at judging bourbons) but a relative of mine who manages a liquor store said there are a couple of brands that are cheaper and better. She told me the names but I forgot.

I don't often drink bourbon. I'm a Jack Daniel's guy. Have been since the days when if you didn't specify black label, you got the green label stuff.

I had some Pappy Van Winkle, liked it (I do not profess to have any skill at judging bourbons) but a relative of mine who manages a liquor store said there are a couple of brands that are cheaper and better. She told me the names but I forgot.

She’s right and wrong, but Opus One isn’t as good as a $45 bottle of Jordan, IMO either. The Van Winkle offerings at retail prices are very good. Lot B at $65 is the best bourbon on the planet, IMO. Pappy 15 is fantastic at $150. A 23 year old Bourbon for less than $400 isn’t horrible considering how long it sat there waiting for you, and how little there is of it, but you really need to enjoy the oaky, smoky flavors if you consider it a great tasting bourbon. Unfortunately, the rarity of them and the secondary market makes acquiring one nearly impossible if you aren’t willing to spend $50 minimum for an ounce, or $2k for an entire bottle. Finding a bottle of Blantons at $65 nowadays feels like winning the lottery.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Had some Blantons and EH Taylor Barrel Proof on Friday, completely wasted on me. Spent Saturday morning driving around Miami looking at deals for GS and then stopped at some of my buddy's favorite liquor stores downtown Miami for some new bottles.

Last edited:
She’s right and wrong, but Opus One isn’t as good as a $45 bottle of Jordan, IMO either. The Van Winkle offerings at retail prices are very good. Lot B at $65 is the best bourbon on the planet, IMO. Pappy 15 is fantastic at $150. A 23 year old Bourbon for less than $400 isn’t horrible considering how long it sat there waiting for you, and how little there is of it, but you really need to enjoy the oaky, smoky flavors if you consider it a great tasting bourbon. Unfortunately, the rarity of them and the secondary market makes acquiring one nearly impossible if you aren’t willing to spend $50 minimum for an ounce, or $2k for an entire bottle. Finding a bottle of Blantons at $65 nowadays feels like winning the lottery.
I like Elijah Craig and have had all of the varieties except this one. I don't think I've ever seen it on the shelf for me to purchase.
ec-23-mob.png

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT