ADVERTISEMENT

National Championship Iowa chances

Iowa Hog

HR MVP
Sep 30, 2001
With a shortened schedule, playing a tough schedule with Ohio State scheduled gives Iowa a chance to get in the playoffs, if Iowa is lucky and how good Iowa will be is anybodys guess. However, I like our chances much better than Matt Campbell's Iowa State.

Optimism from my view! One factor is if Petras’s can consistently get into rhythm with the wr’s/te’s, if he’s on target with not just the screen’s & quick outs but also back shoulder fades and crossing routes (hitting targets in stride) then this offense will present some challenges! The running game should be solid. The other item is the “balancing act” with how much contact applied when guys have had some time off, (soft tissue) now it’s 5 wk’s to game time. Nothing replaces live contact especially in the trenches & LB play than scrimmages..Kirk most likely will space out scrimmages which may be “controlled” where guys aren’t taken to the ground!? After watching games last wk the tackling was mightily absent especially in the Big 12.
The addition of the transfer’s IMO will be noticeable especially the OT transfer from IU..Cronk and Hefflin DT give the line units playing experience and leadership. Having said I still see Schulte getting into rotation either with Nixon or Hefflin.

Reactions: NevadaHawk
I expect Iowa to make the playoffs every year until they lose then I hope for the BIG championship then I normally hope just for a bowl game in FL so I can go to it when I go home to visit the rents. Lol

Put a second mortgage on your house and bet it all on the Hawks to win. Sure thing!

With a shortened schedule, playing a tough schedule with Ohio State scheduled gives Iowa a chance to get in the playoffs, if Iowa is lucky and how good Iowa will be is anybodys guess. However, I like our chances much better than Matt Campbell's Iowa State.
While are chances of us the making the playoffs are better than ISU, there are way too many questions to be answered before venturing a guess as to whether we are a playoff team. if I had to decide right now, no way are we a playoff team.

I’m usually pretty nuts on Iowas potential before the season starts....and even I think talking playoffs this year is crazy.

first year qb, whacky shortened schedule. This team may be good and still not win the division....

now the basketball team, I would put their national title odds at 11.64% assuming a season is played.

Need FREAK talent. Iowa has good talent at a few positions, but freak talent is needed at most, if not all, these positions:
QB, D-Line, RB and WR

In wrestling, something will have to go wrong for us to not win it. In basketball we theoretically have a team that could do it, but the stars would have to align. And in football, Kirk has had three teams (2002, 2009, and 2015) where at points during the season you could have said we had a chance at the title, although obviously we never really broke through to being seriously in the title conversation. And going into each of those 3 years nobody really expected us to have those kinds of years. And I guess every other thing about 2020 has been crazy so why not this too. Insert soyourtellingmetheresachance.gif

Reactions: fezzador
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT