ADVERTISEMENT

National Media “Ouch”

We've been saying this same stuff for years. KF has shown he has no concept of offensive football in the 21st century. Iowa has prospered under dual threat QBs like Brad Banks, Drew Tate, Ricky Stanzi, and CJ Beathard. In almost every one of those cases, KF had to be forced into playing those QBs over statues with far less talent.

I feel sorry for Petras as a fellow human being. The kid is a good person who tries hard, but KF has set him up to fail, and that plan is working to perfection. Petras has none of the requisite skills to be a D-1 QB. He wouldn't be fourth string on most FBS squads, and even that may be generous. Iowa's current walk-on 4th stringer is a better athlete than Petras.

And KF is oblivious. Petras looks good in practice, the coach claims. So what? That inane comment reminded me of former Iowa head Coach Bob Commings' comments after another lopsided loss. Tommy McLaughlin was the QB then, in the dark days just before Hayden arrived, and Commings would always say, "Tommy looks like a Heisman Trophy QB during the week. I don't know what happens on Saturdays." LOL

If I were Phil Parker, I'd go to KF and tell him to either give the other QBs a shot, or I'm resigning. Phil could get a job anywhere. Barring that or an injury to Petras, there is no reason to believe KF will ever make a change, and that's an embarrassing shame.

This is great….I will enjoy all the ISU talking this week and then the tears when Phil and the defense completely cut them down and we win like 9-0 on a pick six and a safety.

Edit: this is in no way an endorsement of this pitiful offense and our horrid QB play….but I truly believe this defense is elite and maybe one of the better Hawkeye units in the past 20 years….and I intend to enjoy it!
We all better learn to love defense and special teams, cause that’s the only shot we got at salvaging this dumpster fire.
oh and our FG kicker better be putting in extra hours and practice, he’s gonna be needed ALOT

I was most disappointed with the OL. I thought, (prayed, and hoped), they would take a step forward. They did not and Petras was Petras. It is stunning to me how we can be all-world on defense and be so woefully poor on offense. If not for Tory Taylor's brilliance as a punter we would have lost that game yesterday. The defense cannot bail us out week after week. Somehow, someway we have to find an at least functional offense. KF and the staff have an enormous hill to climb.
Bingo was a lot of my posts in the gamethread.

Reactions: NevadaHawk
Even top defenses will crack if they are constantly on the field after the offense goes 3 and out consistently.
Yesterday was pretty even, but both offenses sucked. When we start losing TOP, look for the cracks to start and eventually break when they get further into the B10 schedule and the defense wears down.

We've been saying this same stuff for years. KF has shown he has no concept of offensive football in the 21st century. Iowa has prospered under dual threat QBs like Brad Banks, Drew Tate, Ricky Stanzi, and CJ Beathard. In almost every one of those cases, KF had to be forced into playing those QBs over statues with far less talent.

I feel sorry for Petras as a fellow human being. The kid is a good person who tries hard, but KF has set him up to fail, and that plan is working to perfection. Petras has none of the requisite skills to be a D-1 QB. He wouldn't be fourth string on most FBS squads, and even that may be generous. Iowa's current walk-on 4th stringer is a better athlete than Petras.

And KF is oblivious. Petras looks good in practice, the coach claims. So what? That inane comment reminded me of former Iowa head Coach Bob Commings' comments after another lopsided loss. Tommy McLaughlin was the QB then, in the dark days just before Hayden arrived, and Commings would always say, "Tommy looks like a Heisman Trophy QB during the week. I don't know what happens on Saturdays." LOL

If I were Phil Parker, I'd go to KF and tell him to either give the other QBs a shot, or I'm resigning. Phil could get a job anywhere. Barring that or an injury to Petras, there is no reason to believe KF will ever make a change, and that's an embarrassing shame.
Oh good Lord. Who comes up with this stuff? Other then the supposed talking to from CJ's dad, WHO exactly FORCED KF to playing these QB's. Who, exactly?
For the record, (since your in the know about his athletic ability), who is Iowa's 4th string walk on QB?

Also, we're all glad your not Phil, and he's not walking out on his friend, so.....

Oh good Lord. Who comes up with this stuff? Other then the supposed talking to from CJ's dad, WHO exactly FORCED KF to playing these QB's. Who, exactly?
For the record, (since your in the know about his athletic ability), who is Iowa's 4th string walk on QB?

Also, we're all glad your not Phil, and he's not walking out on his friend, so.....
Wow - chill bro- I respect your opinion and I know it wasn’t towards me and yes we are all living on the edge right now - it’s one game and hoping we can blow the doors off that train wreck of ISU this Saturday

Reactions: dean_oliver222
Wow - chill bro- I respect your opinion and I know it wasn’t towards me and yes we are all living on the edge right now - it’s one game and hoping we can blow the doors off that train wreck of ISU this Saturday
Are you not tired of this same lame, factless shit for the last 15 years. NOBODY forced KF to play any of these guys. NOBODY. And yet 10 or 15 years later someone posts the same bullshit argument like it is factual. I have no doubt that in 2050 some dumbass will be on here saying KF had to be forced to play Tate. It boggles the mind. We had numerous issues in Saturdays game that will be discussed at length until we play the clones. There's no need to keep coming up with the same baseless tripe.....

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
Are you not tired of this same lame, factless shit for the last 15 years. NOBODY forced KF to play any of these guys. NOBODY. And yet 10 or 15 years later someone posts the same bullshit argument like it is factual. I have no doubt that in 2050 some dumbass will be on here saying KF had to be forced to play Tate. It boggles the mind. We had numerous issues in Saturdays game that will be discussed at length until we play the clones. There's no need to keep coming up with the same baseless tripe.....
I think you're right for the most part but Beathards dad did force Kirk's hand by saying he would transfer and Kirk released a depth chart saying CJ was #1 right after bowl game which was unprecedented I believe. And thank goodness he did

Reactions: mikesright
I think you're right for the most part but Beathards dad did force Kirk's hand by saying he would transfer and Kirk released a depth chart saying CJ was #1 right after bowl game which was unprecedented I believe. And thank goodness he did
As I mentioned in my original post "CJ's dad" may have been the exception, and thats still not evidence that KF wasn't already leaning that way anyway. None of the other changes were "forced" by anyone and YET all these years later people still come on here and post that. Its so funny actually because everyone constantly talks about how stubborn KF is and yet claim he has fans or some mystical being forcing him to play certain players. Its beyond stupid.....

Reactions: Hawktagonapus
As I mentioned in my original post "CJ's dad" may have been the exception, and thats still not evidence that KF wasn't already leaning that way anyway. None of the other changes were "forced" by anyone and YET all these years later people still come on here and post that. Its so funny actually because everyone constantly talks about how stubborn KF is and yet claim he has fans or some mystical being forcing him to play certain players. Its beyond stupid.....
KOK had to but heads with KF to finally get Jake C benched so maybe you should quit being such an ass when you clearly don't know all the details just like those making accusations. I don't know the other situations but I know Jake C was Kirk's guy.

It’s a message board full of opinions. Some are educated, many are not. I’d be curious to see how many people played football even at the HS level here. No reason to get this fired up over anything that someone posts.

You could go to any message board on any topic and you’re going to find people talking out their a** or throwing out uneducated opinions. It’s the internet.

Only thing that will grab KF's attention is if BF grows a set and resigns. He is over his head and/or dictated what to do by his father. Time for him to do what is good for the program and fall on the sword.

KOK had to but heads with KF to finally get Jake C benched so maybe you should quit being such an ass when you clearly don't know all the details just like those making accusations. I don't know the other situations but I know Jake C was Kirk's guy.
Yes, true, because Jake C practiced really well!!!
From what I understand anywho......

If this is the best QB on the team, especially as a third year starter, our offense would be better off if we just replaced Petras with Cooper DeJean and ran the wishbone. It certainly could not make it worse.
I'd put Schulte at QB. He was very effective at Xavier.

The BIG10 network even chuckled when speaking of the hawks. Every other team had serious convo about them

Even top defenses will crack if they are constantly on the field after the offense goes 3 and out consistently.
Yesterday was pretty even, but both offenses sucked. When we start losing TOP, look for the cracks to start and eventually break when they get further into the B10 schedule and the defense wears down.

That's exactly right...there's only so much time any defense can stay on the field and make plays.

KF was wrong about not playing all of those guys sooner than he did.

Yes and no - but both contributed to the problem like we have had with SP say the helm … it’s demoralizing either way but both are a simple problem from the last 3 years - start Joey Labas and just go with the growing pains as this shit ship is gonna sink if not
“All the world’s a stage”

Have to agree with you on that rebuttal- but seriously it’s getting old

Just some ideas given we cannot get any worse (national rankings wise)
1. Switch to Shotgun (theoretically should buy QB another second or so in pocket/e.g. snap is quicker than say Petras backpedalling)
2. Swap out FB for Another RB/quicker scat back - on at least 50% of plays w/FB installed - more weapons, yes less blockers, but allows for a RB on each half of field, more matchup problems, easy dump off options.
3. Run 5 WR sets on some running plays - spread the defense out, sets appearance of likely passing play

I did stay in a holiday inn express last night, but thats all I got. Please add additional ideas....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT