ADVERTISEMENT

Nationwide aluminum shortage?

With only a handful of states offering deposits and refunds for cans, I find it hard to believe aluminum is scarce. It’s wild to think COVID could have that much of an affect on the supply.

With only a handful of states offering deposits and refunds for cans, I find it hard to believe aluminum is scarce. It’s wild to think COVID could have that much of an affect on the supply.

China stopped buying 95% of recyclables from the US. So even the states that were offering the deposit, many have closed because there isnt a market for the product anymore

Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
Beer can go in bottles too. Do they still make beer in plastic bottles? I never tried one of those, just seemed wrong.

Bottles don't fit in my travel cooler very well. I can pack nine cans in the cooler, but only about six bottles.

I keep seeing a sign regarding a “coin shortage”

After seeing there was a shortage of coins in circulation, I took a couple of canisters of coins in to my bank last week to cash them in. Funny thing is, my bank doesn't take them anymore.

So my coins are back home sitting on the shelf. What a cluster.

Reactions: SalAunese
For many decades high school &
college baseball teams have been
using aluminum bats instead of
wood bats. This issue has finally
caught up with the American folks.

Bottom Line: Go back to using wood
bats in high school and college
baseball games.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
For many decades high school &
college baseball teams have been
using aluminum bats instead of
wood bats. This issue has finally
caught up with the American folks.

Bottom Line: Go back to using wood
bats in high school and college
baseball games.

An aluminum bat in the hands of a big, strong HS or college athlete is a weapon.

I played HS baseball in the 70's and I would have dearly LOVED to use an aluminum bat at the plate. But, I also played 3rd base, so I'm dam glad they didn't have them.

Reactions: LuteHawk
Fresca is VERY hard to get right now.
And Fresca mixes VERY well with Tito's.
This makes it a VERY big problem.

Hmmmm. Anything else involved? Maybe ...

51fEBRNxTGL._AC_.jpg

Reactions: billanole
I was at the grocery store during my lunch hour and noticed lots of empty shelves in the canned food aisle. There were signs posted apologizing for the lack of supply and blaming on an aluminum shortage?

Has anyone else heard about this?

https://www.fox26houston.com/news/aluminum-can-shortage-as-a-result-of-covid-19-pandemic
Most cans other than soda and beer aren't aluminum. Not saying there is or isn't an aluminum shortage but that wouldn't be reflected by empty shelves of soup and green beans.

There is a definite shortage on some canned beer and soft drinks. I don’t know if it is related to can issues or increased demand. But it is a issue

but there are major issues in most product categories of consumer packaged goods. I doubt it will be fully resolved anytime soon

There is a definite shortage on some canned beer and soft drinks. I don’t know if it is related to can issues or increased demand. But it is a issue

but there are major issues in most product categories of consumer packaged goods. I doubt it will be fully resolved anytime soon

There is a shortage. People aren’t drinking in bars(kegs and bottles) and drinking much more at home(cans). Plus many people are keeping more on hand at home. I know I am.

https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/v...tage/509-67351db9-8206-4e36-8a04-080e98eb2f49

From the link-

A spokesperson with the Brewers Association explained to News 8:

"Other beverage industries are moving away from other packaging, particularly plastic, creating additional demand. All indications are that the aluminum can manufacturers are producing at or near capacity."

News 8 also reached out to can manufacturer Ball.

An official there confirmed the supply issue saying:

"We are aggressively expanding our U.S. can manufacturing production by installing two new lines in existing facilities and building two state of the art plants."

ADVERTISEMENT