ADVERTISEMENT

NC and Purdue utilize transfers but not Fran

Ihawkhoops

HR All-American
Dec 10, 2015
He’s after the 3 transfers that we know of. We don’t know what has been done since Moss decided to transfer. He’s certainly working the transfer options, but some seem content to perpetuate the myth he refuses to explore them.

This isn’t politics. Just because you continue to say something doesn’t make it true.

If you get a grad transfer they expect to play or they don't come. They have to be better than what you currently have on your roster. For the coming year, I think Fran likes his roster a lot. For the following year, we need help. Fran is seeking that help looking at 3 transfers that we know of, maybe more. The clock isn't ticking.

Fran has had better luck with walk ons (Baer) than all of his transfer recruiting combined.

He is the opposite of Hoiberg when it comes to transfer recruiting

With Moss leaving here is Fran's opportunity to show he is capable of doing something out of the box. Without a legitimate get in the juco or grad transfer space Iowa has no viable option at 2. Lots of talent in the portal and a starting 2 guard spot open at a B1G school. Clock is ticking Fran.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...55648/tar-heels-add-haul-grad-transfer-pierce

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba.../purdue-adds-high-point-grad-transfer-proctor
What grad transfer(s) would you bring in?
I doubt that Pierce will see any playing time other than mop-up duty, and Proctor is not going to replace Edwards. And this is Proctors 3rd school in 4 years.

Without a legitimate get in the juco or grad transfer space Iowa has no viable option at 2.
What?

Bohannon, Frederick, and CMcCaffery are three viable options at 2G.

Bohannon is one of the best 3PT shooters in Iowa basketball history. A solid ballhandler. I would definitely consider Bohannon a viable option.

Connor McCaffery will be entering his 3rd year in the program and appeared to play much better down the stretch last year. A top 100 recruit, I would consider McCaffery a viable option.

Frederick will surprise a lot of people IMO. Kentucky POY. Inexperienced -yes. But a year of S&C should pay dividends.

Reactions: perryhawk
What?

Bohannon is one of the best 3PT shooters in Iowa basketball history. A solid ballhandler. I would definitely consider Bohannon a viable option.

Connor McCaffery will be entering his 3rd year in the program and appeared to play much better down the stretch last year. A top 100 recruit, I would consider McCaffery a viable option.

Frederick will surprise a lot of people IMO. Kentucky POY. Inexperienced -yes. But a year of S&C should pay dividends.

Joe Toussaint can also play the 2. Weezie can play the 2.

He’s after the 3 transfers that we know of. We don’t know what has been done since Moss decided to transfer. He’s certainly working the transfer options, but some seem content to perpetuate the myth he refuses to explore them.

This isn’t politics. Just because you continue to say something doesn’t make it true.

Agreed. He also just stated a day or so ago in an interview that he is currently exploring the grad transfer option.

I can see Weiskamp for sure in a "big" line-up. That's at least 4 options at SG.

ihawkhoops is either clueless or has some sort of agenda.

"no viable options at 2" is one of the dumbest posts I've read in a while.

Fran is literally on video with a reporter less than 12 hours ago saying that he looks at both grad and traditional transfers every single year.

I can see Weiskamp for sure in a "big" line-up. That's at least 4 options at SG.

ihawkhoops is either clueless or has some sort of agenda.

"no viable options at 2" is one of the dumbest posts I've read in a while.
He hates fran, end of story. Only around if something bad happens.

With Moss leaving here is Fran's opportunity to show he is capable of doing something out of the box. Without a legitimate get in the juco or grad transfer space Iowa has no viable option at 2. Lots of talent in the portal and a starting 2 guard spot open at a B1G school. Clock is ticking Fran.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...55648/tar-heels-add-haul-grad-transfer-pierce

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba.../purdue-adds-high-point-grad-transfer-proctor

Yet more crying from your pathetic ass.

Ya but I think he means ones who are eligible to play immediately, which, after Moss’ departure, I think we need one.

not really. before Moss left people were bitching that we'd have too many bodies again and Fran would struggle with giving them all PT.

I liked Moss, would love to have him here to finish his career... but that's not in the cards.

My gut tells me that Moss saw some writing on the wall that Jordan and CJ Fredrick were going to see more minutes at shooting guard, where Joe Toussaint can come in and push tempo. Fran wants to run more this year, Joe T. can do that.

Run Jordan and Joe W to the wings and that is going to force teams in transition D to get back and cover the wings opening up the middle for the bigs and Joe T to drive and finish if the kick out isn't there. This past year teams would jump Jordan because he could pull up and get his own, but they'd double him with length and stifle our transition offense. Thus why Fran wanted Tyler to push the ball more.

My starting 5 right now:

Luka Garza
Cordell Pemsl or Ryan Kriener
Joe Wieskamp
Jordan Bohannon
Joe Toussaint

not really. before Moss left people were bitching that we'd have too many bodies again and Fran would struggle with giving them all PT.

I liked Moss, would love to have him here to finish his career... but that's not in the cards.

My gut tells me that Moss saw some writing on the wall that Jordan and CJ Fredrick were going to see more minutes at shooting guard, where Joe Toussaint can come in and push tempo. Fran wants to run more this year, Joe T. can do that.

Run Jordan and Joe W to the wings and that is going to force teams in transition D to get back and cover the wings opening up the middle for the bigs and Joe T to drive and finish if the kick out isn't there. This past year teams would jump Jordan because he could pull up and get his own, but they'd double him with length and stifle our transition offense. Thus why Fran wanted Tyler to push the ball more.

My starting 5 right now:

Luka Garza
Cordell Pemsl or Ryan Kriener
Joe Wieskamp
Jordan Bohannon
Joe Toussaint

Your starting five will probably struggle defensively with two small guards and two heavy footed bigs. Not sure what form of defense they will be able to play.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
What the fvck are you talking about OP? Iowa has three transfers visiting this year...

And how many signed with Iowa? Harvey picked a school that was 9-23 last year with a first year coach. You could name me coach tomorrow and I could get "visits". Closing is what counts.

It is almost like folks believe the only recruiting contacts going on are the ones that get reported here. We have had kids visit Iowa and it is never discussed here. Happens all the time. If the kid doesn't want to discuss then it often is not talked about.

It is almost like folks believe the only recruiting contacts going on are the ones that get reported here. We have had kids visit Iowa and it is never discussed here. Happens all the time. If the kid doesn't want to discuss then it often is not talked about.

How many kids don't want to talk about it? These kids post what they have for breakfast on Twitter etc., so I am pretty sure they aren't keeping a secret where they are visiting.

And how many signed with Iowa? Harvey picked a school that was 9-23 last year with a first year coach. You could name me coach tomorrow and I could get "visits". Closing is what counts.
You pick the one that went to a team that finished worse than Iowa but fail to look at who else they are bringing in plus a name coach. Quit acting like FM isn't trying. He's not going to commit violations to get players either like some schools do. Iowa recruits many but if it's not mutual then they don't waste the time and goes unreported. If you could do better than set a meeting up with FM and staff.

Reactions: Bravehawk56
How many kids don't want to talk about it? These kids post what they have for breakfast on Twitter etc., so I am pretty sure they aren't keeping a secret where they are visiting.
No, not all kids are attention seekers. You just say that because it fits your narrative.

I have no doubt fran is trying to bring in the best guys out there. He can't force them to sign on the dotted line unfortunately.

Reactions: BBHawk
I have no doubt fran is trying to bring in the best guys out there. He can't force them to sign on the dotted line unfortunately.
I wouldn't argue that he's not making an effort.

But it's a bottom line business and results are ultimately what matter.

I don't care about the players he went after but missed. If he gets to the sweet 16 with the roster he has, then he gets well deserved credit. If he fails to make the tourney, then second guessing his roster is entirely fair game.

Reactions: Ihawkhoops
Purdue builds around 4 year players not transfers. They tried bringing in a transfer this year and they immediately took off once Painter realized he was a huge downgrade from their young players (which were mostly good to OK recruits).

Iowa isn't competing with UNC/other blue bloods in recruiting anybody without cheating.

You pick the one that went to a team that finished worse than Iowa but fail to look at who else they are bringing in plus a name coach. Quit acting like FM isn't trying. He's not going to commit violations to get players either like some schools do. Iowa recruits many but if it's not mutual then they don't waste the time and goes unreported. If you could do better than set a meeting up with FM and staff.

Who else is Fran going after? I keep reading these posts about "Fran is trying" and "Fran is doing his best" but don't see any results. Fran gets paid a lot of money to try, that is his job. It's not that hard to figure out that in a talent-deficient state like Iowa you have be creative and bring guys in from other avenues i.e. juco, transfer or graduate transfers. This should have been viewed as an essential part of the rebuild strategy by Fran but instead he has spent 9 years giving projects multiple years to prove they aren't p5 athletes not to mention basketball players.

Reactions: ztmac
What grad transfer(s) would you bring in?
I doubt that Pierce will see any playing time other than mop-up duty, and Proctor is not going to replace Edwards. And this is Proctors 3rd school in 4 years.

Graduate transfers have graduated and are here for 1 year. They don't all expect to start and like everybody else have to earn a spot. Lots of graduate transfers could help Iowa whether it be major or intermediate minutes. A legit 2 guard who can slash. That player is not on Iowa's roster. A shot blocker / defender / rebounder. Also not on Iowa's roster. A versatile scorer who can create their own shot at the 1-3. Also not on Iowa's roster although JW is well on his way. Iowa lacks a lot of intangibles that better teams have. Again, it's a 1 year gig not a 4-year commitment.

Reactions: kcgolfer
No, not all kids are attention seekers. You just say that because it fits your narrative.

Lol it's my narrative. Right. You keep believing that Fran is bringing in top prospects and sneaking them into CHA in the back of Smiles in Aisles Hy-Vee delivery fans. Are you by chance related to L.Wade? My narrative is also called reality, you just choose not to live in it. Like I have told others, when Fran demonstrates he can close the deal even with a middle of the road graduate transfer then you can call me out. I have to go now, as I am meeting Elvis and Bigfoot for brunch. Too funny man. Keep it up.

Reactions: ztmac
Graduate transfers have graduated and are here for 1 year. They don't all expect to start and like everybody else have to earn a spot. Lots of graduate transfers could help Iowa whether it be major or intermediate minutes. A legit 2 guard who can slash. That player is not on Iowa's roster. A shot blocker / defender / rebounder. Also not on Iowa's roster. A versatile scorer who can create their own shot at the 1-3. Also not on Iowa's roster although JW is well on his way. Iowa lacks a lot of intangibles that better teams have. Again, it's a 1 year gig not a 4-year commitment.
I am talking about specifics (NAMES) from those who are available and would consider Iowa and not be a waste of time for the staff to even look into.

Would you all quit with Moss is transferring because CJ Frederick is going to take all of his minutes. I get trying to spin things for your team but the kid redshirted because he was not good enough yet. Now all
Of the sudden he is going to take a three year starters minutes who is being recruited by a bunch of major basketball schools to come in and play for them. It’s just dumb. Losing Moss sucks for Iowa and Frederick is a downgrade right now at that position. Always heard how oglesbe was killing everyone in practice also.

Last edited:
Would you all quit with Moss is transferring because CJ Frederick is going to take all of his minutes. I get trying to spin things for your team but the kid redshirted because he was not good enough yet. Now all
Of the sudden he is going to take a three year starters minutes who is being recruited by a bunch of major basketball schools to come in and play for them. It’s just dumb. Losing Moss sucks for Iowa and Frederick is a downgrade right now at that position. Always heard how oglesbe was killing everyone in practice also.
? Who said anything about quiting?

Good question. Not me
What did you mean then? That sentence doesn't make sense as it is.

What did you mean then? That sentence doesn't make sense as it is.

Yes it does. It’s telling everyone on this message board to quit acting like Moss is transferring because CJ Frederick is going to take his minutes. Dude is visiting Arkansas and blue blood Kansas.

Yes it does. It’s telling everyone on this message board to quit acting like Moss is transferring because CJ Frederick is going to take his minutes. Dude is visiting Arkansas and blue blood Kansas.
Ah. Do you think that he left knowing he would get more playing time if he stayed next year but chose to leave anyway? It is not like anyone who was already playing minutes instead of him left - Dailey left, freeing up 13 more minutes/game Moss could have occupied. Seems weird to me that Moss would leave knowing that unless he felt that other players could take even more of his minutes. It will be interesting to see where he transfers to and how much he plays there.

Ah. Do you think that he left knowing he would get more playing time if he stayed next year but chose to leave anyway? It is not like anyone who was already playing minutes instead of him left - Dailey left, freeing up 13 more minutes/game Moss could have occupied. Seems weird to me that Moss would leave knowing that unless he felt that other players could take even more of his minutes. It will be interesting to see where he transfers to and how much he plays there.

He left because he don’t get a long with the coach. That’s pretty widely known at this point. He Isis probably sick of Fran playing his son a ton of minutes when he don’t deserve them

Reactions: Ihawkhoops
He left because he don’t get a long with the coach. That’s pretty widely known at this point. He Isis probably sick of Fran playing his son a ton of minutes when he don’t deserve them
Ah, now I see where you are going. You think he left because Connor got his minutes. Hmmm...Connor averaged 19 minutes a game, mostly backing up Bohannon. I think you are looking for a scapegoat here. Dailey played more minutes at the 2 than Connor did, and Dailey is gone now.

As others have noted, if Moss didn't like the coach, why stay for 4 years? Why leave when he was given every chance to star for this team? If you went to the games and watched this team, you would know the reason. He failed to really help the team like a 4th-year player should except in very few games. He would often disappear, get caught watching, and in general just get lost on the floor on both ends. I have no doubt that he has talent and has his moments, but I am not sure that he has the focus to ever get beyond where he is now. I hope for his sake that he somehow gets the ability to stay focused for 30+ minutes/game. Otherwise, wherever he ends up will just be more of the same for him.

What?

What games were you watching in respect to Connor M.? A part time basketball who has no outside game and is now a viable option at the 2? Love his intensity and all that but....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT