ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA agrees to $920 million, 8-year deal with ESPN for women’s March Madness and 39 other championships

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
The NCAA and ESPN announced on Thursday a $920 million, eight-year agreement that will give the network exclusive rights to 40 championships, including the Division I women’s basketball tournament, an event growing in popularity that the association has been accused of undervaluing in the past.

NCAA President Charlie Baker told The Associated Press the deal has an average annual value of $115 million, an increase of more than 300% per year on what the previous 14-year deal with ESPN was paying the association.

“Yes, it’s a bundle, but it’s a bigger bundle and it’s a bigger bundle that will be much better,” Baker said.

The deal covers 21 women’s and 19 men’s sports, adding tennis, track and field, men’s gymnastics, the women’s Division II and III volleyball and basketball championships and the men’s DII and DIII basketball championships.

The deal guarantees national championship events in Division I women’s basketball, women’s volleyball, women’s gymnastics, and the second-tier of Division I football known as FCS will be aired on ABC, though it does not guarantee any start times.

ESPN will also air selection shows for at least 10 championships on its linear networks.

where does all that money go?
Do the math.
115 million divided by 345 schools is about 333 thousand per school.
Might cover 10 scholly s per school. Women's BB has 15 scholly players per school.

Should have requested bids for NCAA women's basketball and volleyball separately. Those two are worth 95% of the value of the contract, if not more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT