ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Baseball Regionals/Super Regionals Thread

Mar 14, 2003
So yes, it sucks that Iowa fell short. I’m as disappointed as anybody. However, this is still some fun baseball. So let’s casually discuss the happenings. I noticed that Savacool is the Friday starter for Maryland. Is Max Dean injured? If so, that really lessens he likelihood Maryland can win the regional.

giphy.gif

UConn beats Michigan 6-1. Wolverines will face Central Michigan in an elimination game tomorrow.

Charlotte beats Maryland 13-10. The Terps will face Norfolk State in an elimination game.

Nebraska beats Northeastern 8-6 in the 9th. Husker ace Cade Povich only lasted 3 1/3 innings. Huskers will face Arkansas in the winner's bracket. Huskers trailed 4-0 early but came back for the win.

Glad Michigan made it so they could get outscored 13-2 over their first 15 innings in the tournament.

I have said if multiple times. They were given a mulligan for making the CWS in 2019. I am not saying Iowa or Indiana were more deserving, but sometimes head to head and even conference finish is not the best analysis. Especially when we’re supposed to be looking at the whole season. Michigan had multiple losses es to Michigan State and Illinois. This is why playin conference only really hurt the conference and some teams. I’m not convinced Michigan gets in if we play a non conference.

Reactions: Alum-Ni
I have said if multiple times. They were given a mulligan for making the CWS in 2019. I am not saying Iowa or Indiana were more deserving, but sometimes head to head and even conference finish is not the best analysis. Especially when we’re supposed to be looking at the whole season. Michigan had multiple losses es to Michigan State and Illinois. This is why playin conference only really hurt the conference and some teams. I’m not convinced Michigan gets in if we play a non conference.

It still pisses me off to see teams like the following play WAY more games than B1G teams.

B1G teams played a maximum of 44, of course.

The following teams played 50 or more games PRIOR TO entering the NCAA Tournament:

60: McNeese
58: Grand Canyon
58: North Dakota State
58: Charlotte
58: Louisiana Tech
57: Samford
57: UC Santa Barbara
56: UC Irvine
56: East Carolina
56: Central Michigan
56: Old Dominion
56: Southern Miss
55: South Florida
53: Liberty
53: South Alabama
52: Dallas Baptist
51: VCU
51: Norfolk State
51: Army
51: Campbell
50: SE Missouri State
50: UConn
50: Gonzaga

Maryland beat Norfolk State 16-0, so they survive. They pitched Burke today, so with no Dean it’ll be tough sledding for them to win three in a row.

South Florida is up on Miami 5-1 in the Bottom 4th in the Gainesville regional. USF is the #4, believe they entered the regional one game over .500. It’s in a weather delay, but if they win they’ll be in the regional final and have two chances to win once and advance.

Also, call me a conspiracy theorist here. Why wouldn’t ESPN push for more ACC or SEC teams to be in? They run those networks and air games from exclusively those teams regionals.

Oof Jake Bunz comes in for Nebraska and has walked a couple guys. Couple wild pitches and it’s 5-1 Arkansas.

Heading to the bottom of the 6th, it was a 3-1 game.

The Nebraska pitcher can't throw strikes. Walks and a passed ball are doing the Huskers in.

5-1 now.

Edit: Pitching change

Dallas Baptist beats TCU 8-6. TCU is the #6 national seed. DBU was the 3 in that region. I’m hoping Dallas Baptist and Old Dominion can win their regions as those two would square off for the CWS.

DBU has an Iowa connection with Luke Eldred as a pitcher. He is from Mt. Vernon and son of Cal, brother of CJ.

Over 11,000 are at the Arkansas/Nebraska game.

I did a google search to find that 31.6% of the Arkansas population is fully vaccinated.

Yikes...what could go wrong? ;)

ADVERTISEMENT