ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Baseball Regionals/Super Regionals Thread

Dallas Baptist who I am pulling for to make the CWS has some Iowa flare. They have Luke Eldred on their team. They have Kyle Amendt from Pleasantville who attended Southeast CC. They also have two other guys from Iowa juco schools.

Their coach, Dan Heefner played some at UNI, coached at UNI and Creighton. Dan Fitzgerald their Associate Head Coach was the head coach at DMACC. I know some have said the past Iowa should look at him for a future opening, if and when it happens.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Looks like the winner of ODU/Virginia will stay in Columbia and DBU will travel there for super regionals. I believe this is the only neutral site for super regionals.

I'd nitpick a bit with this. While getting to a third game against Arkansas in a Regional is not the same as taking one game out of a three game set (Nebraska has played four games instead of two), I don't see a #2 taking a #1 seed to a final game as playing "above" their seed. Nebbie wins tonight and I'll agree. Arkansas wins tonight and I'll say that Nebraska pretty much played to the seeding.

Don't disagree on Maryland. They jumped past the #2 seed to get to the final.

Don't disagree on Michigan. Not competitive in either game. Pretty consistent with lackluster finish to B1G season.
I say Nebraska played above their seed because they were able to take a game from the undisputed #1 overall seed. Only 4 other 2 seeds were able to win games against the regional host's: NCST x2 (16 overall seed), Oregon State (6), UC Irvine (9), and S Miss (12).

Super Regional matchups are as follows:

North Carolina State (33-17) at Arkansas (49-11)
Stanford (36-15) at Texas Tech (39-15)
Mississippi (44-20) at Arizona (43-15)
East Carolina (44-15) at Vanderbilt (43-15)

South Florida (31-28) at Texas (45-15)
Notre Dame (33-11) at Mississippi State (43-15)
Dallas Baptist (40-16) vs. Old Dominion (44-15)/Virginia (32-24)
LSU (38-23) at Tennessee (48-16)

North Carolina State (33-17) at Arkansas (49-11)
Stanford (36-15) at Texas Tech (39-15)
Mississippi (44-20) at Arizona (43-15)
East Carolina (44-15) at Vanderbilt (43-15)

South Florida (31-28) at Texas (45-15)
Notre Dame (33-11) at Mississippi State (43-15)
Dallas Baptist (40-16) vs. Old Dominion (44-15)/Virginia (32-24)
LSU (38-23) at Tennessee (48-16)
ODU leads Virginia 3-2 in the 8th. Monarchs just scored 2 to take the lead.

North Carolina State (33-17) at Arkansas (49-11) (ACC v. SEC)
Stanford (36-15) at Texas Tech (39-15) (Pac 12 v. Big 12)
Mississippi (44-20) at Arizona (43-15) (SEC v. Pac 12)
East Carolina (44-15) at Vanderbilt (43-15) (American v. SEC)

South Florida (31-28) at Texas (45-15) (American v. Big 12)
Notre Dame (33-11) at Mississippi State (43-15) (ACC v. SEC)
Dallas Baptist (40-16) vs. Virginia (32-24) (Missouri Valley v. ACC)
LSU (38-23) at Tennessee (48-16) (SEC v. SEC)

ACC: (3 teams)
Big 12: (2 teams)
Pac 12: (2 teams)
SEC: (6 teams)
American: (2 teams)
Missouri Valley (1 team)

UPDATED AFTER Virginia beat Old Dominion.

Last edited:
Seedings of teams that advanced and who they beat to advance:

Big 12 (4 teams picked; 2 advance)
Texas (1) over Arizona St. (2)
Texas Tech (1) over UCLA (2)

ACC (8 teams picked; 3 advance)
Virginia (3) over Old Dominion (1)
NC State (2) over La Tech (1)
Notre Dame (1) over Central Michigan (4)

SEC (9 teams picked; 6 advance)
LSU (3) over Oregon (1)
Arkansas (1) over Nebraska (2)
Tennessee (1) over Liberty (3)
Vanderbilt (1) over Georgia Tech (2)
Ole Miss (1) over So. Mississippi (2)
Mississippi State (1) over Campbell (3)

Pac 12 (6 teams picked; 2 advance)
Stanford (1) over UC Irvine (2)
Arizona (1) over UC Santa Barbara (3)

American Athletic (2 teams picked; 2 advance)
East Carolina (1) over Maryland (3)
South Florida (4) over South Alabama (3)

Missouri Valley (2 teams picked; 1 advances)
Dallas Baptist (3) over Oregon State (2)

Arkansas was the better team, but man....

what do you think about electronic calling of balls & strikes? aren't they using this in the minor leagues to see how it goes?

heck, even some MLB umps have some crazy strike zones and dang, once the batter gets the 2nd strike on a bad call, he becomes protective of the plate & afraid not to swing

what do you think about electronic calling of balls & strikes? aren't they using this in the minor leagues to see how it goes?

heck, even some MLB umps have some crazy strike zones and dang, once the batter gets the 2nd strike on a bad call, he becomes protective of the plate & afraid not to swing

Personally, I like the human element.

I caught for 20 years with a couple in the minors back in the 80's. My son just finished pitching Division 1 for 3 years. I am old school. I like the human element as well. I watched the Arkansas Nebby game and was thinking just from my chair that the string of balls called by the umpire was wrong. At least half looked like strikes and sure enough the computer showed they were. It is your job to call these strikes. no way you can miss these. Though it would be too late for Nebraska, the electronic strike zone should be used as a teaching tool for umpires and to hold them accountable. Maybe he does not get to work next time with that stirke zone for that night. Umpires need to be held to a high standard as well. Go hawks

I agree with the two posters above........the human element is a big part of the game and I think it should stay. I do like using technology as an evaluation tool for umpires though.

Personally, I like the human element.

I caught for 20 years with a couple in the minors back in the 80's. My son just finished pitching Division 1 for 3 years. I am old school. I like the human element as well. I watched the Arkansas Nebby game and was thinking just from my chair that the string of balls called by the umpire was wrong. At least half looked like strikes and sure enough the computer showed they were. It is your job to call these strikes. no way you can miss these. Though it would be too late for Nebraska, the electronic strike zone should be used as a teaching tool for umpires and to hold them accountable. Maybe he does not get to work next time with that stirke zone for that night. Umpires need to be held to a high standard as well. Go hawks
I agree with the two posters above........the human element is a big part of the game and I think it should stay. I do like using technology as an evaluation tool for umpires though.

I am looking forward to seeing the results of this electronic strike zone experiment. I guess this is the 2nd year they are doing it in the minor leagues.

I did a google search on are players happy with electronic strike zone. There's a Forbes article saying the electronic strike zone is on its way to MLB, like it or not.

And here is a story from May 29, 2021; it is a small sample size, but it looks like players & coaches like it.

we all see during games where the broadcasters use technology to discuss if the ump got the call of ball or strike correct.

have you ever seen a study on how often the electronic call of ball/strike disagreed with the ump's call? If umps are missing balls/strikes at a high rate (according to the electronic strike zone), I can see the argument to go to an electronic strike zone. This way, in every game, batters know they are going to get a fair, consistent strike zone.

Reactions: Alum-Ni
Just keep the electronic‘umpire’ away from the Atsros, they would find a way to manipulate it in their favor.

For those still following...

Vanderbilt and Stanford won today, punching their CWS ticket.

Dallas Baptist beat Virginia
Mississippi State beat Notre Dame
N.C. State beat Arkansas forcing a game three

Other games are in progress or will be. Arizona can punch their ticket with a win. All other games besides the one mentioned will be game two tomorrow.

Reactions: KyleHuesmann
Tennessee beats LSU 4-2
Texas beats South Florida 4-3
Ole Miss beats Arizona 12-3 which forces a game three.
Miss State beat Notre Dame 9-8

Going into today's Super Regional Final Games, you have 6 of the 8 teams set for the CWS. All of them advancing are from a baseball "power" conference (Big 12, ACC, SEC, Pac 12). Unless DBU can pull off a win, all 8 teams in the CWS will come from those 4 conferences. The CWS field will be comprised of 6 #1 seeds; 1 #2 seed and 1 #3 seed.

Big 12 (4 teams picked; 1 advances to CWS)
Texas (1)
Texas Tech (1)

ACC (8 teams picked; 1 advance to CWS; 2 still alive today)
Virginia (3) (still alive)
NC State (2)
Notre Dame (1) (still alive)

SEC (9 teams picked; 2 advance to CWS; 1 still alive today)
LSU (3)
Arkansas (1)

Tennessee (1)
Vanderbilt (1)

Ole Miss (1)
Mississippi State (1) (still alive)

Pac 12 (6 teams picked; 2 advance to CWS)
Stanford (1)
Arizona (1)

American Athletic (2 teams picked; 0 advance to CWS)
East Carolina (1)
South Florida (4)

Missouri Valley (2 teams picked; 1 still alive)
Dallas Baptist (3) (still alive)

CWS Bracket:

Arizona (5 overall) v. NC State (not seeded)
Vanderbilt (4 overall) v. Stanford (9 overall)
Texas (2 overall) v. (Miss St (7 overall)/ND (10 overall)) winner
Tennessee (3 overall) v. (DBU (not seeded)/UVa (not seeded)) winner

Last edited:
FWIW, Luke Eldred has given up 2 hits, 1 walk and 0 runs through 3 IP for DBU.
DBU has a 2-0 going to B4. Virginia is the "home" team.

ACC lands a second team in the CWS with Virginia's win.

The only question left is whether the ACC lands a third team (Notre Dame) or whether the SEC lands a third team (Mississippi State).

I don't like the SEC.
I don't like Notre Dame.
Mississippi State's fans are ridiculous.
Notre Dame's batting helmets are insanely bad.
Blah.

CWS First Round Match-ups:
Tennessee (3 overall) v. UVa (not seeded)

Really wasn’t even an incredible catch to be honest. Leaping, but wall never came into play.
Agreed. That's good stuff on both players, it looks like the batter acted like it was gone and the outfielder acts like he made an incredible play. The outfielder kind of gets turned around and then stops and jumps straight up - close but not against the fence. I think this is one of those plays where the announcer thinks and says it's an incredible play at the time so they make it a highlight more because of the announcer, but if you look at the replay it's not that special.

Reactions: KyleHuesmann
Agreed. That's good stuff on both players, it looks like the batter acted like it was gone and the outfielder acts like he made an incredible play. The outfielder kind of gets turned around and then stops and jumps straight up - close but not against the fence. I think this is one of those plays where the announcer thinks and says it's an incredible play at the time so they make it a highlight more because of the announcer, but if you look at the replay it's not that special.

I think that the announcer was watching the batter and assumed that it was a home run.

If you stop the video at :07, it appears that the ball would have gone off the top 1/3 of the wall at best. ESPN is claiming that a HR was robbed . . . I think that's an overstatement.

Going into today's Super Regional Final Games, you have 6 of the 8 teams set for the CWS. All of them advancing are from a baseball "power" conference (Big 12, ACC, SEC, Pac 12). Unless DBU can pull off a win, all 8 teams in the CWS will come from those 4 conferences. The CWS field will be comprised of 6 #1 seeds; 1 #2 seed and 1 #3 seed.

Big 12 (4 teams picked; 1 advances to CWS)
Texas (1)
Texas Tech (1)

ACC (8 teams picked; 1 advance to CWS; 2 still alive today)
Virginia (3) (still alive)
NC State (2)
Notre Dame (1) (still alive)

SEC (9 teams picked; 2 advance to CWS; 1 still alive today)
LSU (3)
Arkansas (1)

Tennessee (1)
Vanderbilt (1)

Ole Miss (1)
Mississippi State (1) (still alive)

Pac 12 (6 teams picked; 2 advance to CWS)
Stanford (1)
Arizona (1)

American Athletic (2 teams picked; 0 advance to CWS)
East Carolina (1)
South Florida (4)

Missouri Valley (2 teams picked; 1 still alive)
Dallas Baptist (3) (still alive)

CWS Bracket:

Tennessee (3 overall) v. (DBU (not seeded)/UVa (not seeded)) winner
Wow, that's kind of crazy how many SEC and ACC teams made it to the tourney. They obliviously have some good teams, but only 3 Big Ten teams made it and the winner of the Big Ten got to go on the road to play in the top seed Arkansas regional, I'm guessing Nebby fans are still fuming about that.
How big of an advantage is it to have the 'playoffs' in your home stadium for a couple rounds??

Wow, that's kind of crazy how many SEC and ACC teams made it to the tourney. They obliviously have some good teams, but only 3 Big Ten teams made it and the winner of the Big Ten got to go on the road to play in the top seed Arkansas regional, I'm guessing Nebby fans are still fuming about that.
How big of an advantage is it to have the 'playoffs' in your home stadium for a couple rounds??

It can definitely be an advantage. Who was the last B1G school to host? Illinois in 2015?

ACC lands a second team in the CWS with Virginia's win.

The only question left is whether the ACC lands a third team (Notre Dame) or whether the SEC lands a third team (Mississippi State).

I don't like the SEC.
I don't like Notre Dame.
Mississippi State's fans are ridiculous.
Notre Dame's batting helmets are insanely bad.
Blah.

CWS First Round Match-ups:
Tennessee (3 overall) v. UVa (not seeded)

ESPN just said it’s Stanford vs N.C. State and Vanderbilt vs Arizona on that side of the bracket.

ADVERTISEMENT