ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA expected to increase Football Scholarships to 105

in 2023, Iowa made approx 300K from their athletic department. How does this continue with increasing the number of scholarships?

so, in a nutshell, the rich get richer?

Maybe I am leaving something out of the equation,but teams like Ohio State, Alabama, etc can just load up on 4 and 5-stars.

On the other hand, these aforementioned teams will have a ton of talent riding the bench just waiting for the starters to get hurt so will end up transferring.

still I think it skews the competitive balance in favor of the blue bloods. If I am wrong, someone please tell me so and why.

How does +44 men vs +18 women even remotely work w title IV? Most schools are cutting men’s sports to try to comply. Now you have baseball which loses money adding more than women’s combined?
One option is setting an internal limit and never going to the max allowed by the NCAA.

At first glance, the football increase seems unnecessary and ridiculous. Why would anyone need over 100 scholarship players?

NFL rosters are capped at half that -- 53 -- with 16 players max on the practice squad.

Actually, roster sizes are going to be reduced.

This July 11, 2024 story from ESPN talks about "conferences throughout the sport are mulling whether to reduce the size of FBS football rosters from as many as 130 to 140 players down to 100 players or fewer. The Power Four conferences -- ACC, Big Ten, Big 12 and SEC -- seem to be eyeing a roster size of about 100 to 110 players, sources told ESPN. Conference commissioners are scheduled to meet again Friday to discuss the issue."

Now, the entire 105 (and no more) on the roster would be on scholarship.

From the story in the OP:

Opinions have been mixed on the new roster limits. While it will allow coaches to provide financial support to more players, coaches worry that capping a roster size at 105 will diminish their ability to stay fresh and conduct safe practices.

Asked if the scholarship number was high enough, Kentucky coach Mark Stoops provided a frank answer. “It’s not but I really don’t want to get into much of that right now...."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT