ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA extends policy banning championships where Confederate flag flown

Flags, statues, it's history, not all of it is good. Ever wonder why Jews don't demand the concentration camps not be demolished? To never ever forget. If you forget history, you risk repeating it. They took down Christopher Columbus in St. Louis WTF? Sorry way sick of this shit.

Flags, statues, it's history, not all of it is good. Ever wonder why Jews don't demand the concentration camps not be demolished? To never ever forget. If you forget history, you risk repeating it. They took down Christopher Columbus in St. Louis WTF? Sorry way sick of this shit.

Agree......

So sick of this lame, virtue signaling attempt to change history.
The idiots that took down the C Columbus statue were probably born in
Columbus Ohio.

Hey @mvhomerl since you want statues and monuments to recall american history, go ahead and start a petition to erect a statue of Adolph Hitler. I'd be interested to see how the petition does.

Agree,

Agree but should kids, never be taught, told of the mistakes of history? It's like they wanna make it like it never happened. Someone fill me in on C. Columbus!
why the hell do you need monuments and statues to teach kids history. i've never seen any of these monuments or statues but i know who each and every one of those racist bastards were. What a crock.

Adolf Hitler was American? Now that IS awful!
You know who gave up their american citizenship? the confederate, racist, leaders. All I've heard from conservatives is how much people who say, "I'm moving to canada" aren't american, and these dudes literally created an entire country to get the hell out of america. lmao

You want men who killed Americans have statues erected for them, why stop at Confederates.

Agree,

Agree but should kids, never be taught, told of the mistakes of history? It's like they wanna make it like it never happened. Someone fill me in on C. Columbus!

In general statues are there to venerate or memorialize someone, not stark reminders of a dark period in history. (Statues of individuals anyway)

As far as Christopher Columbus, others could shine more light on it but I think his actions had less than ideal consequences for the indigenous people he encountered. At a minimum the elementary lessons we had about him aren’t very accurate or detailed.

I understand the point that tearing down a statue isn’t affecting huge change but in the South it might just be. Southerners are very proud of their rebel/confederate past and while I don’t think most are advocating slavery, that is a piece of it that can’t be separated.

People fly the Confederate flag with pride. Let’s not pretend like many of those who want to keep it want to do so as some sort of “reminder” of America’s racist past

This is the NCAA, and flying that flag at a private business is totally up to you. Personally the war was lost a long time ago, if you wish to memorialize something, best to do it by the event and not by the person. All of this does bring up a good point though. There is a lack of historical education in our public schools.

Rather than looking at who won the war, it is better to look at why the war began, and was it necessary. Both WW2 and the American civil war are extremely dulled down into Germany/Hitler was evil, and the civil war was only about slavery. When some know that both were brought on by major economical impact factors.

Reactions: 59DAWG
Agree,

People should be taught history, mistakes and triumphs alike. The problem is we spent many years confusing the two and ended up glorifying the mistakes for political reasons. Taking down statues of bad people doesn’t erase the truth, it put the truth in its proper context.

People fly the Confederate flag with pride. Let’s not pretend like many of those who want to keep it want to do so as some sort of “reminder” of America’s racist past
While, I am not a fan of the flag, nor of it being flown at public building paid for by tax payers. It is a part of their culture, just as many claim to be Irish, German. Making statements like this and generalizing a majority is exactly the problem right now.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
While, I am not a fan of the flag, nor of it being flown at public building paid for by tax payers. It is a part of their culture, just as many claim to be Irish, German. Making statements like this and generalizing a majority is exactly the problem right now.
ireland has existed for a billion years or something ridiculous. your great-great-great-great-great-grandpa fighting against americans for four years and getting his ass kicked isn't a culture.

I have seen a lot of idiotic posts in the past month or so (cough, Kurt Warner, cough) but this one deserves an award.

So you believe it is okay for a STATE to display a symbol which, at its best, represents the seceding from the union of several states in order to protect slavery and, at its worst, conveys white supremacy? And this is all okay because otherwise people will forget slavery happened?

I always thought the people who defended the display of the confederate flag fell into two groups: white supremacists and misguided southerners who believe the flag stands for "southern heritage," despite the fact the secession only lasted five years and the south LOST. I take it you do not claim to fall into either of those groups, so why the hell would you have any issue with this?

ireland has existed for a billion years or something ridiculous. your great-great-great-great-great-grandpa fighting against americans for four years and getting his ass kicked isn't a culture.
Thanks for the insightful post.

I specifically used the word “many” to avoid generalizing a majority, so I don’t see the problem there.

The Confederate flag was used until the mid 1860’s and represents a time when southerners wanted to secede from the union primarily to keep alive the institution of slavery. The “culture” argument is a load of crap. What culture? Why would anybody want to associate with 1800’s southern culture? What can this be likened to from people living in northern states?

Because I’m of German descent, would it be okay for me to rep the swastika and claim it as an important part of my culture also? No, that would make me a scumbag

I specifically used the word “many” to avoid generalizing a majority, so I don’t see the problem there.

The Confederate flag was used until the mid 1860’s and represents a time when southerners wanted to secede from the union primarily to keep alive the institution of slavery. The “culture” argument is a load of crap. What culture?

Because I’m of German descent, would it be okay for me to rep the swastika and claim it as an important part of my culture also? No, that would make me a scumbag

This is a straight up straw man scenario. I am not going to retort your bottom statement at all, as no one is making any sort of argument against it.

With that said the confederate flag does also represent the states rights, whether constitutional or not. I could give two shits less about your descent because you live in the US presumably, therefore you are an American.

When you make outlandish statements with large assumptions in them, you lose all credibility. I don't care if you said a few, it makes little difference to me. The methodology by which the vast majority of Americans shit on another is despicable.

Last edited:
This is a straight up straw man scenario. I am not going to retort your bottom statement at all, as no one is making any sort of argument against it.

With that said the confederate flag does also represent the states rights, whether constitutional or not. I could give two shits less about your descent because you live in the US presumably, therefore you are an American.

When you make outlandish statements with large assumptions in them, you lose all credibility. I don't care if you said a few, it makes little difference to me. The methodology by which the vast majority of Americans shit on another is despicable. Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing, and I'd like to keep it that way.
I know you are just reciting a common retort from people who want to protect the confederate flag - that it represents "states' rights." But do you honestly believe any person who displays that flag could name a single "states' right" that was at issue during the secession other than the right to own human beings? Not to mention the fact the argument that the civil war was about anything other than slavery has largely been debunked.

When you make outlandish statements with large assumptions in them, you lose all credibility. I don't care if you said a few, it makes little difference to me. The methodology by which the vast majority of Americans shit on another is despicable. Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing, and I'd like to keep it that way.
Why is it a straw man? The confederate flag and swastika are two symbols, one representing white supremacy and the extermination of millions of people. The other, representing white supremacy and the enslavement of millions of people... oh and states’ rights (which is why they fly it I’m sure). Just because the swastika better illustrates why people should disassociate themselves with hateful symbols doesn’t make it a straw man

And what statement did I make in my response that was outlandish? What is outlandish is that you feel “states rights” is an actual reason that people in the South choose to fly the Confederate flag outside of their houses. LOL (By the way, that is just as or more presumptuous/generalizing than any statement I made)

I know you are just reciting a common retort from people who want to protect the confederate flag - that it represents "states' rights." But do you honestly believe any person who displays that flag could name a single "states' right" that was at issue during the secession other than the right to own human beings? Not to mention the fact the argument that the civil war was about anything other than slavery has largely been debunked.
As stated above, although most here don't wish to read the thread. I think it is a part of their culture, they have been indoctrinated with it from their youth. It is called the rebel flag for a reason.

My point through all of this is education. If you educate those that fly the flag and the youth that look at the flag growing up to understand what it is and stands for, hopefully they won't fly it.

I will not stand for individuals shitting on populations of people making generalized statements any more. I am done with it. The political climate has royally messed up this country.

You know who gave up their american citizenship? the confederate, racist, leaders. All I've heard from conservatives is how much people who say, "I'm moving to canada" aren't american, and these dudes literally created an entire country to get the hell out of america. lmao

You want men who killed Americans have statues erected for them, why stop at Confederates.

Like Sitting Bull and Crazy Horse then? Killed a lot of Americans, right?

I have seen a lot of idiotic posts in the past month or so (cough, Kurt Warner, cough) but this one deserves an award.

So you believe it is okay for a STATE to display a symbol which, at its best, represents the seceding from the union of several states in order to protect slavery and, at its worst, conveys white supremacy? And this is all okay because otherwise people will forget slavery happened?

I always thought the people who defended the display of the confederate flag fell into two groups: white supremacists and misguided southerners who believe the flag stands for "southern heritage," despite the fact the secession only lasted five years and the south LOST. I take it you do not claim to fall into either of those groups, so why the hell would you have any issue with this?
Great post. My nephew got married on what use to be slave owner plantation in South Carolina, beautiful. the slave houses are still there,so what do you think burn it down?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT