ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA extends policy banning championships where Confederate flag flown

Flags, statues, it's history, not all of it is good. Ever wonder why Jews don't demand the concentration camps not be demolished? To never ever forget. If you forget history, you risk repeating it. They took down Christopher Columbus in St. Louis WTF? Sorry way sick of this shit.
Agree!!! Friggin liberal snowflakes

Reactions: Kurt Warner
I don't feel strongly about keeping confederate flags or statues, but I do think this is a dangerous slippery slope. Liberals are never satisfied when it comes to these things. Once you remove confederate symbols, then they will want to remove symbols that are associated with historical oppression of slaves like old markets that sold slaves and hanging trees. Then they will want to remove symbols of anyone that ever owned slaves like George Washington and Thomas Jefferson. Then they will want to remove symbols of anything they interpret as "racially insensitive" like the Lincoln statue in Boston, the Virginia Caveliers logo, the Washington Redskins logo. Eventually they will want to remove symbols of historical figures that supported enforcing immigration law or thought the issue of gay marraige should be left to the states. This is just how the minds of liberals work. They are chronically unsatisfied. You give them an inch and they will try to take a mile, every time.

Are you equating Indigenous People to the Confederacy?

Of course not, other than the US was at war with both of them at the same time. So Lincoln good or bad? Fought the confederates but massacred the natives. I think I'm like most who couldn't give a rats ass if confederate statues and flags come down, all for it actually. But it's a slippery slope that has already led to taking Washington, Jefferson and Lincoln down too. That I don't agree with.

I don't know why we have statues to commemorate traitors and losers.
we? the confederate statues are democrats, erected by democrats in the south where they were not considered traitors or losers. dems removing dem statues.... cool.

Of course not, other than the US was at war with both of them at the same time. So Lincoln good or bad? Fought the confederates but massacred the natives. I think I'm like most who couldn't give a rats ass if confederate statues and flags come down, all for it actually. But it's a slippery slope that has already led to taking Washington, Jefferson and Lincoln down too. That I don't agree with.
hate to upset the applecart but indians massacred indians for as long as time. they also took slaves including other tribes and races, they held and sold black slaves (ask don cheadle). we got indian land the same way the french, english and spanish did. purchase or combat. same way we got land from other countries. expansion can be messy, whether its indian vs indian or vs colonizing europeans.

To function independently from the federal government. Now time for a dumb ass comeback. Before going any further read the thread to understand my point.

NASCAR and the NCAA are both multistate governing bodies over sports so there is absolutely no states rights if they chose to ban a particular flag. They actually do not even need a justification to do so. Their sanctioned event their rules.

Reactions: naturalmwa
Good point. But can we at least agree that slavery was a worldwide trend back in the 1800's? Its awful, but that is a fact. another fact is that the U.S. was one of the first countries to outlaw its practice.
That's not really true. England/Canada had it banned by around 1800, the rest of Europe by the 1830s....the only countries that still had slavery after the US were maybe in Africa, the middle east, Brazil and China.

To function independently from the federal government. Now time for a dumb ass comeback. Before going any further read the thread to understand my point.
"To function independently from the federal government" IN ORDER TO OWN SLAVES. No one is hanging a confederate flag on their front porch to celebrate the freedom of instituting an1861-era taxation system.

I'd wager 95% of this board is from Iowa; odds are that includes you. Why do you have a dog in this fight? I am genuinely curious why there are so many defenders here in a state that was not part of the confederacy. It is jarring.

History isn’t black and white

Lincoln, Jefferson and Washington all have black marks on their records as well. We should talk about this and not talk about our founding fathers as god like figures. In order to grow as a society, we have to learn from both the good and the bad of our predecessors. At the end of the day our country was founded on a lot of contradictory ideals and flawed principles - which is what ultimately led to the civil war and most civil unrest that has occurred since the founding of this country. That doesn’t mean America isn’t great (and probably the greatest nation of all time) but it does mean America isn’t perfect, has never been perfect, and never will be perfect.

That being said- confederate leaders have little to no place behind commemorated in any form. Someone mentioned concentration camps not being destroyed earlier. Concentration camps have been turned into monuments/museums commemorating the horror and atrocities committed by the nazi German regime and how to make sure those events are never forgotten. Confederate flags and confederate leader statues are not used as a way to remember the horrors of the past but rather as symbols of “states rights” or other attempts to redefine the horrors of 1800 American slave culture. There is certainly a place for them to be discussed- but not idolized.

we? the confederate statues are democrats, erected by democrats in the south where they were not considered traitors or losers. dems removing dem statues.... cool.

yes- the ironies of history mean that republicans are now defending statues of democrats from democrats who want to take them down. You can thank the civil rights movement for driving the south away from democrats and into the arms of the Republican Party’s “southern strategy”. History is weird- in fifty years, the parties will look totally different again.

First, we need to stop crossing politics into sport

Second, those that don’t understand history are doomed to repeat it. The last 3 months have been caused by those that don’t understand history, which is a surprisingly large number of people

Agree,

Agree but should kids, never be taught, told of the mistakes of history? It's like they wanna make it like it never happened. Someone fill me in on C. Columbus!

As a kid I was taught Columbus discovered America. As an adult I learned he took a wrong left and discovered the indigenous people. Then murdred/enslaved them and forced them to convert to christianity.

I, and presumably all kids, was never taught, told of the mistakes of Columbus' history. He's had his own holiday for 83 years. It's like they wanna make it like it never happened.

Reactions: BettDogs7
I know you are just reciting a common retort from people who want to protect the confederate flag - that it represents "states' rights." But do you honestly believe any person who displays that flag could name a single "states' right" that was at issue during the secession other than the right to own human beings? Not to mention the fact the argument that the civil war was about anything other than slavery has largely been debunked.
you are so wrong. Better go back to school and learn history. Slavery was just a small part of it.

Reactions: 59DAWG
NASCAR and the NCAA are both multistate governing bodies over sports so there is absolutely no states rights if they chose to ban a particular flag. They actually do not even need a justification to do so. Their sanctioned event their rules.
Did you read anything I typed. Neither of these are government run entities. I fully agree, that in a public domain (i.e. something paid for by tax payers, that flag should never be flown.) I don't understand why people don't read the threads.

why the hell do you need monuments and statues to teach kids history. i've never seen any of these monuments or statues but i know who each and every one of those racist bastards were. What a crock.

Logically, then, we can get rid of museums and zoos. I knew lots of history before attending a museum and lots about animals before attending a zoo.

Logically, then, we can get rid of museums and zoos. I knew lots of history before attending a museum and lots about animals before attending a zoo.
wanna know how I know you're racist? you think that learning about animals is held in the same regard as learning about slave traders. owners, beaters, and rapers.

edit: Again, you want to have statues of traitors and american adversaries up so bad, start a petition to erect a Hitler statue, my dudes.

Last edited:
You can thank the civil rights movement for driving the south away from democrats and into the arms of the Republican Party’s “southern strategy”.

This is actually mostly a myth. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 had more Republican support than Democratic support. Republicans didn't gain a majority of Congressional seats in the south until 1994. Over time the south became more Republican because it's values changed (ie pro-life, pro-gun, pro-small government).

Reactions: 59DAWG
you are so wrong. Better go back to school and learn history. Slavery was just a small part of it.
Please educate us, Kabby. What played a bigger role than slavery in causing the secession? Since slavery was such a "small part of it," I am sure you will quickly come back with several issues and not just vaguely cite "states' rights."

This is actually mostly a myth. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 had more Republican support than Democratic support. Republicans didn't gain a majority of Congressional seats in the south until 1994. Over time the south became more Republican because it's values changed (ie pro-life, pro-gun, pro-small government).

exactly- the Republican Party became more limited government, states rights oriented (the opposite of what it was in 1860) as a result of the Democratic Party changing to support large government, and federal oversight of desegregation policies.

Lyndon Johnson knew he was throwing away the south for a generation - republicans saw the opening and capitalized on it. It just takes time for people to ditch their old party identities. In the process, both parties changed- they have before and they will again because they are trying to maintain power rather than maintain a consistent ideology.

The issues you mentioned are linked to the entire shift of the states rights dynamics.

The fact remains that in 1860 the democrats were the party for racist whites and in 2020 republicans are the party for racist whites.

This doesn’t mean that all white 2020 republicans are racists - it just means that white racists in 2020 are much more likely to be republicans than they are to be democrats.

Last edited:
Take slavery out of the equation and there isn’t a war. Take away any of the other reasons and there is still a war over slavery. Slavery was the key issue. Follow your own advice.

Your post is a myth. More Ds voted in favor of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 than Rs in both chambers. It was a Democratic initiative.

"I'm moving to canada" aren't american, and these dudes literally created an entire country to get the hell out of america. lmao

Probably one of the dumbest things ever said on here. That’s not even remotely true.

"To function independently from the federal government" IN ORDER TO OWN SLAVES. No one is hanging a confederate flag on their front porch to celebrate the freedom of instituting an1861-era taxation system.

I'd wager 95% of this board is from Iowa; odds are that includes you. Why do you have a dog in this fight? I am genuinely curious why there are so many defenders here in a state that was not part of the confederacy. It is jarring.
Reading comprehension can be difficult. I live in Florida now, my dog in this fight is to stop shitting on each other. I literally stated that these people are indoctrinated, much like religion which I am not a fan of either. My number one statement is about freedom of speech, which I suggest you familiarize yourself with before coming back at me.

Last edited:
Your post is a myth. More Ds voted in favor of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 than Rs in both chambers. It was a Democratic initiative.

78% of Republicans voted for the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Only 60% of Democrats voted for it. As a percentage of votes, the bill had more support in the Republican party than the Democratic party.

78% of Republicans voted for the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Only 60% of Democrats voted for it. As a percentage of votes, the bill had more support in the Republican party than the Democratic party.
Notice that you need to change the meaning of the word more to make a point? That’s how you make myths. But let’s make this more relevant. The republicans today won’t reauthorize the voting rights act. We both know why that is. You get no credit for doing the right thing in the past if you refuse to do the right thing today.

Notice that you need to change the meaning of the word more to make a point? That’s how you make myths. But let’s make this more relevant. The republicans today won’t reauthorize the voting rights act. We both know why that is. You get no credit for doing the right thing in the past if you refuse to do the right thing today.
I mean it was struck down in 2013 by the supreme court. So, no that certainly isn't changing with the current court.

I mean it was struck down in 2013 by the supreme court. So, no that certainly isn't changing with the current court.
Which is why Congress needs to reauthorize it. Republicans won’t do that because they no longer believe in fair and equal voting.

They can't reauthorize it if it's already been declared unconstitutional.
Yes they can. They simply fix the minor issue the court found. The bill has already been written and passed by the house. Twenty years ago, the GOP would have passed this overwhelmingly. Today it’s a different Republican Party.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT