ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA has Canceled ALL Fall Div I, II & III Sponsored Championships w/ Exception of FBS Football

Over here in NJ our press is reporting (on a pay text subscription) that they are hearing P5 schools will be delaying the first games until September 19th to see what happens when students return to campuses & see what happens with the NFL.

Reactions: Mountain Man Hawk
Here are a couple of facts: George W. Bush knew, based on history, that a pandemic would be coming soon, so he had the country ready--ventilators, medical masks, plans for everything. Obama left the current administration with a pandemic playbook that included many of the strategies the Bush administration had established. And when Mr. T came to town, he threw it all away.

So recent presidents of both parties knew this was coming and were prepared for it. But the pandemic, clever as it is, waited for the moment when the US was the most vulnerable to attack. And now we have the world's worst response and its biggest mess.

As a result we're trying to play a 60-game baseball season with no fans. We may not have any football this year. Basketball is in jeopardy, just when Iowa has its best shot at a Big Ten and a national title in decades.

The fault lies with the president and the cult that supports him. Ask George W. Bush, the Republican ex-president (that I voted for twice) and who has said he plans to vote for Joe Biden in November. And so should any other sports fan and decent human being.

LOL. Yeah because that would have stopped the virus that has ransacked the world right in its tracks!

Barry finally has to be an AD. Needs to start asking his buddies for $$$ and his ego is having a hard time doing it. He was gonna retire next year as well

The situation will be similar at Iowa and other schools. If there is no football, it's not unreasonable that all men's sports other than football and men's basketball are eliminated, along with whatever number of women's sports have to be kept for Title IX considerations. Everything else gone. The schools aren't hoarding cash. They can't. They are non-profits and plow the money back into sports in facilities, equipment, travel, recruiting, support staff, etc. And even if football is kept in hope of future revenue, support staff will have to be cut massively. There is no alternative to making up 75+% of your annual revenue. Even if there is no revenue, debt service has to be paid, buildings have to be maintained, etc.

The situation will be similar at Iowa and other schools. If there is no football, it's not unreasonable that all men's sports other than football and men's basketball are eliminated, along with whatever number of women's sports have to be kept for Title IX considerations. Everything else gone. The schools aren't hoarding cash. They can't. They are non-profits and plow the money back into sports in facilities, equipment, travel, recruiting, support staff, etc. And even if football is kept in hope of future revenue, support staff will have to be cut massively. There is no alternative to making up 75+% of your annual revenue. Even if there is no revenue, debt service has to be paid, buildings have to be maintained, etc.

Agree with all. Barry’s gonna have to actually do the job now

Yep. We are looking at potentially the end of D1 sports as we knew it previously. Going to be a very different world out there...

This is all so dumb. Everyone else already covered it so I won’t repeat. I just watched baseball games tonight so I know it’s possible to play. I wish they would just announce some reasonable standard like the 5% infection threshold mentioned above and go with that and play as long as we can keep below that.

Here are the results we had with baseball and softball and really they had what I consider to be overly-strict rules (teams shutting down for the season over a single infection, etc). I just can’t help feeling we are over-reacting on this. And for the record I’m all in favor of wearing masks and taking extreme precautions with at-risk people. Shutting down sports just seems over the top and unnecessary.

Absolutely US response could have been better. The federal government focused on the wrong things from the start and the response of the CDC and FDA was shameful. But the death count isn't what it is due to lack of ventilators or masks. In very short order, U.S. had excess ventilators.

If mask wearing "stopped" the virus, then why is Japan seen a huge spike in cases? They've been wearing masks since the start. California has had mandated mask wearing since April, and the cases have grown in California. It's a virus, it's going to work its way through a population until either enough people get it that community immunity is achieved (what happened in New York with 32,000+ people dead) or a vaccine is released. There was never a virus for the first SARS. There is no guarantee we ever get a vaccine for this.

A rational federal government would be conducting national antibody studies to give us the true prevalence of the virus to allow rational decisions to be made. But the president is running around making nonsense claims that he saved millions of lives with lockdowns.
You're wrong about several items. 1) Masks DO help prevent the spread of the virus. That's a fact. 2) California has NOT had a mask mandate since April. The state mandate came June 19th, but don't assume that everyone followed it. Many businesses ignored it as did large numbers of people. Bars and family gatherings served as super spreading locations. Fortunately, mask-wearing is now improving. Cases have increased precisely because the state opened too quickly before safety standards had been met and because people didn't follow safety guidelines. Masks would have made a difference along with complying with the other standards. 3) New York CITY has more immunity with its 22K deaths - the 32K figure is statewide - than do most places, but it does NOT have community immunity. There are many new cases daily.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
It seems like everybody has a different idea of what they find acceptable. The most reasonable objective, in my opinion, should be to prevent the overwhelming of the healthcare system. As long as we are doing this, we are doing ok. The goal should not be to prevent all infection, because that is not going to happen. For the most part people should be going about their normal lives and we can strengthen or loosen restrictions based on how close we are to reaching maximum capacity in our local healthcare systems. If you are old or immunocompromised and value a slightly increased chance of living more years over living life to the fullest this year, then avoid contact with others.
I can agree with this post, but with the caveat that people follow safety protocols - wear masks in public spaces, practice physical distancing, etc. Those things will go far in keeping the the health care systems from being overwhelmed. Restrictions like indoor dining at restaurants can vary based on local conditions.

you think if they announce a vaccine in December that players will get it a month later and be Ok to go? Good luck with that. Heard on the news it could take a year to fully distribute. Military and health care workers first, then vital workers, then the elderly and others. We will be lucky to be immunized by a year from now.

I’m skeptical this will happen given the narrative we see, but if we were being logical ... vaccinate the vulnerable and let everyone else take their chances until there’s a vaccine for them. I’m 28 and have already had it ... if there were an endless number of vaccines, sure, prick me lol. However, as soon as a decent chunk of vulnerable people vaccinated (won’t take that long), people like me should be out stimulating the economy and regaining our sanity...

I sure as heck won’t be among the first. Let other people be the guinea pigs....I’ll wait until it’s been proven safe and effective.

I've said this too. Really look at some of the side effect of some of the approved drugs that have been out for years. If they release a vaccine in 8-10 from inception, I'll wear a mask and wait a year

I sure as heck won’t be among the first. Let other people be the guinea pigs....I’ll wait until it’s been proven safe and effective.
If they say we all have to take a vaccine for college football to be played, I'll take a shot in the middle of my forehead, I don't care ;-)

Maybe they could play in one of the counties that has a very low number of cases. In Iowa, 65% of the cases are in 12 counties. We have 99 counties and many of them account for .01% if the cases. The kids will be safe there. I know it's not realistic, I just really really want college football.

Reactions: Stranded Hawk
If you really believe it came from bat, then I have some beach front property in Phoenix to sell you. This was a man made virus in a lab. Don't believe everything they print....

giphy.gif

Yeah...who should we believe..world virus and medical experts or swamp posters in on line chat rooms.
Unfortunately a lot of people choose to believe the latter. All the experts are wrong, or lying, but the tin foil hat crowd is right.

if your pants dont stop the passing of gas...

Not sure if your joking, although I assume you are. A guy I work with decided to prove this point the other day. He is a smoker. He took a drag off his vape pen, put the mask on and exhaled. The cloud of smoke just kind of sat by his head. He was like, "see, it didn't stop anything." I laughed and asked him to do the same thing without the mask. He filled the room with smoke. He, very effectively, disproved his own theory. Masks definitely work.

Not sure if your joking, although I assume you are. A guy I work with decided to prove this point the other day. He is a smoker. He took a drag off his vape pen, put the mask on and exhaled. The cloud of smoke just kind of sat by his head. He was like, "see, it didn't stop anything." I laughed and asked him to do the same thing without the mask. He filled the room with smoke. He, very effectively, disproved his own theory. Masks definitely work.
it was some lady who said it at starbucks maybe....question: is the mask supposed to just slow it down and partially infect us slowly?

Unfortunately a lot of people choose to believe the latter. All the experts are wrong, or lying, but the tin foil hat crowd is right.
So let me get this straight...you don't think the Chinese government would lie about this? Are you kidding? They silence their own citizens for being whistle blowers.
You probably have no idea how much you are lied to every day by the governments, but if you want to believe everything they say you go right ahead and do it..

Vaccine is probably going to be available by December. Basketball just has to delay itself by a month or two. Football is in much more jeopardy.

Having a vaccine potentially available by December is possible by recent reports, but only if everything goes well. The government contract with Fizer is only for 100 million doses, and I didn't see a timeline for how fast that many could be delivered, let alone administered. Last I checked, the US population was estimated north of 330 million, so still haven't solved the whole problem. If just looking at the portion of the US pop over age 65, that is ~60 million, then. We are a heck of a long way from immunity through vaccine in our population. Moving basketball back a month or two doesn't seem like that would do a whole lot.

Last edited:
it was some lady who said it at starbucks maybe....question: is the mask supposed to just slow it down and partially infect us slowly?

Or...... If the question is, Are we trying to slow the spread? I believe the answer is yes. My personal opinion is that I just want to keep shit open. If we keep the numbers down, we shouldn't have to close up again. Then, hopefully we get a vaccine and we can move on. Also, it would be nice to keep some beds open for those who need it. We are starting to have a bit of an issue there.

I guess I wasn't sure about what, exactly you were asking, so I thought I'd answer both possibilities.

I've been saying for weeks, if the standard for playing is that no players test positive, then we aren't playing. Can't bother people with facts, in that for that age group they are much more likely to die from accidents or the normal flu than from COVID. The panic and the hysteria have set in. None of the athletes who have tested positive since Iowa returned have been seriously ill or needed hospitalization. But here we go, the world wigging out about positive tests for an age category for which there is statistically zero risk.

It's the same reason that it's unlikely that the NFL plays either. If entire position groups are out for multiple weeks with one positive test, it ain't happening. I wish it were not this way, but here we are.

Good comment.

If masks work why not play the games and only allow fans that are wearing masks to attend?

Reactions: TC_Hawk
I don't get the fear of this virus. I've had it, my entire family has had it. I've had the flu years ago and even colds that were worse. Wear a mask, maintain social distance and play ball, start school, get on with life. Stay away from old people. Simple.

ADVERTISEMENT