ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA has charged Bill Self with THREE Level 1 (most serious) Violations, alleging he was in on Adidas' Scheme

Finally some movement with this.

What sucks is Kansas still did well in recruiting following the NCAA charges. However, they don't have any commits yet for the 2023 & 2024 classes.

2021 Class: 0 Five Stars, 3 Four Stars, 1 Three Star
2022 Class: 2 Five Stars, 2 Four Stars, 0 Three Stars
----------------------------------------------------------------------
TOTALS.......2 Five Stars, 5 Four Stars, 1 Three Star

Finally some movement with this.

That's it? That's the punishment? Self can sit there and say that these violations are gone and over with apologizing to recruits that he can't come to your games in person but some other scout can. All while he can be at home.

Reactions: perryhawk
That's it? That's the punishment? Self can sit there and say that these violations are gone and over with apologizing to recruits that he can't come to your games in person but some other scout can. All while he can be at home.
We don't know what the punishment will be (if there even will be one). This is just Kansas finally cooperating with the NCAA by removing Self from recruiting temporarily while they await the verdict from the independent investigation. That's at least how I read it.

Reactions: Franisdaman
After a National Championship Iowa could keep the HC and Eldridge off the NCAA circuit, and I don't think it would affect the next recruiting class at all.

We don't know what the punishment will be (if there even will be one). This is just Kansas finally cooperating with the NCAA by removing Self from recruiting temporarily while they await the verdict from the independent investigation. That's at least how I read it.

I get that we don't know but this is crazy soft. I wish the NCAA wouldn't allow the guilty party to pick and choose when they will be punished.

Edit- This is also why I don't want Kansas in the Big Ten. It isn't that they are good (they are) it is that they cheat.

After a National Championship Iowa could keep the HC and Eldridge off the NCAA circuit, and I don't think it would affect the next recruiting class at all.

What's sad is recruits like TJ Power (who Iowa offered 2 years ago and has blown up) are interested in Kansas.

And when you look at programs like Kansas & UNC, it's ironic that they became "blue bloods" (and maintained that status) by cheating. You wouldn't think they would need to cheat but coaches like Bill Self want to stay ahead of the pack, keep piling up wins & keep getting paid (and so do his players).

What's sad is recruits like TJ Power (who Iowa offered 2 years ago and has blown up) are interested in Kansas.

And when you look at programs like Kansas & UNC, it's ironic that they became "blue bloods" (and maintained that status) by cheating. You wouldn't think they would need to cheat but coaches like Bill Self want to stay ahead of the pack, keep piling up wins & keep getting paid (and so do his players).
That's not ironic.

It started well before Self.

Reactions: Herklejerk
Correct. The teams that win big are all cheating. All of them. Now, cheating doesn't guarantee that you win big. But you aren't going to win at that level without doing so. Won't have anyone convince me otherwise.

See UCLA in the 60s/70s.

Reactions: Herklejerk
Correct. The teams that win big are all cheating. All of them. Now, cheating doesn't guarantee that you win big. But you aren't going to win at that level without doing so. Won't have anyone convince me otherwise.
That sounds kinda like saying, “Go ahead and be brilliant and persuasive in your logical debate because I bet I can be more closed-minded and obstinate.”

Well in the age of NIL, these schools can now cheat in plain view and nothing can be done about it.

Story from this morning, from the Associated Press:

Well something I guess, but lets face it first four games, big whoop. Now if they'd have sat him for a year with NO pay, that would have meant something. This is little more then a slap on the wrist.....Now if the "reduce scholarships by three over a three year span" is the way I read it, that could be impactful. So does that mean they only get 10 total schollys for three years or does it mean they lose one for three years? Losing three for three years could hurt, because KU hasn't been quite as top notch on all their recruiting of late. Still I imagine he can still put together a pretty good squad with 10. If however they have injuries or a sudden transfer, even practicing could be an issue. I'm sure Bill can bring in some "grey squad" practice dummies to walk on....

Last edited:
Well something I guess, but lets face it first four games, big whoop. Now if they'd have sat him for a year with NO pay, that would have meant something. This is little more then a slap on the wrist.....Now if the "reduce scholarships by three over a three year span" is the way I read it, that could be impactful. So does that mean they only get 10 total schollys for three years or does it mean they lose one for three years? Losing three for three years could hurt, because KU hasn't been quite as top notch on all their recruiting of late. Still I imagine he can still put together a pretty good squad with 10. If however they have injuries or a sudden transfer, even practicing could be an issue. I'm sure Bill can bring in some "grey squad" practice dummies to walk on....

Question: In the new age of NIL, Adidas can still contact parents of top recruits and offer them deals as long as they sign with Adidas schools, correct?

The only thing is, if I understand NIL correctly (and not sure if I do), Bill Self and his staff STILL cannot be in on the negotiations, which means if NIL existed back then, Bill Self would still be committing NCAA violations.

If I have this wrong, someone let me know. ;)

Kansas gave Bill Self a lifetime contract.

KU basketball guard Arterio Morris has been dismissed from the Jayhawks after being arrested today and charged with rape.

lM39HBkL

• Wow
Reactions: perryhawk
I see that an "Independent Panel" has decided that Kansas has been punished enough. They decided that even though Addias gave money to two recruits to attend Kansas, they were not "boosters." They decided that Self should be charged with a Level II infractions and no further punishment was warranted. Anyone really surprised?

• Angry
Reactions: Franisdaman
ADVERTISEMENT