ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA is going to relax transfer rules; players will be eligible to play immediately

ClintBarton

Rookie
Jan 8, 2018
From what I saw on the Golic and whoever show on ESPN, the NCAA is finally going to allow players to transfer and be eligible to play immediately. How would this affect Iowa? This could really help reshape the roster. But it also means good players like Cook could transfer out. If this is set in stone for next season, what an interesting and exciting offseason this will be.
https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/1/18/16902880/ncaa-transfer-rules-changes

Last edited:
From what I saw on the Golic and whoever show on ESPN, the NCAA is finally going to allow players to transfer and be eligible to play immediately. How would this affect Iowa? This could really help reshape the roster. But it also means good players like Cook could transfer out. If this is set in stone for next season, what an interesting and exciting offseason this will be.

I have a feeling the rich are going to get richer with this new rule. Now recruiting out of high school won't be quite as important. The blue bloods can simply recruit after they've shown their meddle at the college level. There will be far fewer "misses" by them.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
I have a feeling the rich are going to get richer with this new rule. Now recruiting out of high school won't be quite as important. The blue bloods can simply recruit after they've shown their meddle at the college level. There will be far fewer "misses" by them.

This is true. There needs to be a limit (per team) on the number of kids that can transfer in and play right away. Without that, it will be a joke. Think how bad the pros would be if everyone was a free agent every year. Fan will lose interest quickly.

Reactions: Iowahawkeyes1993
Hope there’s more teeth to the rule change. What a slippery slope.

Question, don’t current schools have to grant a release first? And can’t they put restrictions on destinations?

If so, and the new rule really is that flimsy, I see an ugly situation where coaches/schools throw piles of hurdles up for kids leaving. Potentially bad situation for coaches and kids.

Someone please explain to me how this would help
Iowa in Basketball?

Last edited:
Sounds like the NCAA is trying to kill Iowa B-ball. Can you imagine after this crappy year, JBo, Cook, Nunge, would probably transfer out to teams with Chance to make NCAA next year. We'd be left with the guys without transfer options.

Reactions: skydog0784
Well...if things are bad on the interior of Hawkeye sports...perhaps this will push Barta's hand up a year to help prevent a mass exodus.

Sounds like the NCAA is trying to kill Iowa B-ball. Can you imagine after this crappy year, JBo, Cook, Nunge, would probably transfer out to teams with Chance to make NCAA next year. We'd be left with the guys without transfer options.

Think of all the mid-major players that will be poached. Fans will lose interest pretty quick if their teams' best players always go for greener pastures.

Think of all the mid-major players that will be poached. Fans will lose interest pretty quick if their teams' best players always go for greener pastures.
already happens. I think this rule is good. Players should be allowed to transfer and play right away. Coaches.

I've already backed way off on Basketball due to the lack of rules enforcement. Ever since the evolution of thugball (I blame Izzo to a large extent), the game has become unwatchable. Throw in this where the prime teams can just browse and steal the proven talent from lessor programs and it'll be even more like women's BB where the final four is comprised of a mix of the same 6 or so teams every year. Other than those teams, I can't imagine who'd give a crap about the NCAA tourney.

So, everyone is a free agent? Blue blood teams will just cherry pick what they need from non-blue blood teams. This is not a good thing for CBB.

already happens. I think this rule is good. Players should be allowed to transfer and play right away. Coaches.
I assume you're joking. If not, you're a fool. That change would ruin college basketball.

Hope there’s more teeth to the rule change. What a slippery slope.

Question, don’t current schools have to grant a release first? And can’t they put restrictions on destinations?

If so, and the new rule really is that flimsy, I see an ugly situation where coaches/schools throw piles of hurdles up for kids leaving. Potentially bad situation for coaches and kids.
Hope these rumors aren't true. This would be a very bad rule for college basketball and for the academics of the players - if that means anything.

Don't see how it helps iowa. Any player that's really good On our team will get targeted by blue bloods and leave to get more natonial attention and draft attention.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT