ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Round 2 Thread

There's a lot of wrestling left, and things are going about as expected, honestly. But I have no issues with folks here expressing their disappointment in the Hawks' performance. There's usually a grain of truth to the comments, and we can be fans without being disciples.

There's a lot of wrestling left, and things are going about as expected, honestly. But I have no issues with folks here expressing their disappointment in the Hawks' performance. There's usually a grain of truth to the comments, and we can be fans without being disciples.
The maddening part is the placing of blame, when this year there’s nothing to blame at all but some horribly bad luck. That is a fact that will be lost on MANY the next few days.

Excuses are for wusses, but make no mistake that we have many. You won’t hear any from our staff or athletes though.

Agreed this is about how I thought things would go. I wouldn't have predicted Eierman's loss but am hardly surprised because of his injury. Young losing is probably the biggest disappointment for me but not necessarily surprising. I thought Ayala would be able to get through his first match.

Reactions: TarpHawk
The maddening part is the placing of blame, when this year there’s nothing to blame at all but some horribly bad luck. That is a fact that will be lost on MANY the next few days.

Excuses are for wusses, but make no mistake that we have many. You won’t hear any from our staff or athletes though.
Exactly! We have 3 national title contenders (Lee, Eierman, and Kemerer) with significant injuries. One is already out, one lost second round and Kem has a tough road to hoe. No team could overcome this. And not even including a hobbled Cass who normally gets bonus the first 2 rounds. I will still cheer on every wrestle and hope we can continue our streak of at least one finalist.

Just rewatched that on FLO. Absolutely right... should've been a score for Aiello. Dean gets a gift.
I was very mind boggled watching that scoring sequence, and I thought sure as hell it wasn't Dean that was going to score there. No idea how in the hell they came to that conclusion watching it live, so apparently I missed something and haven't watched it again.

Bucky,

I started following wrestling extremely closely about 10-12 years ago and was a slow learner but have slowly caught on. I know you are a football fan as well so I have a good comparison for you.

KF and Tom Brands are almost identical in their approach: defense wins championships. You need to give yourself a chance to win every match. Offense is great but defense wins in the end. Your offense can often score simply because of your defense. When we score on offense and get a lead..just like in football...our wrestlers tend to sit on it. No more offense needed. Just don't screw up.

TNT, so ironically considering their past history as wrestlers, doesn't seem to teach score score score on offense. They seem to teach more of a conservative, counter approach. Not always, obviously. ADS is an offensive machine. He is what I wish every Iowa wrestler was like. Super aggressive at all times. But mostly, it is pretty conservative. As you know, Gable was score score score at all times. TNT does not seem to teach that way. They teach super solid fundamentals and are very good at what they do. But creativity in scoring points is not their strength. Hence, when JE transferred a few years ago, most of us were blown away at how "unorthodox" he was. We hadn't seen anyone like that in a long, long time. Turns out there are quite a few guys like him around the country, just not at Iowa.

But make no mistake about it: TNT are very good at what they do and as long as they are in charge, we will have a super solid wrestling program. Will they win a couple more national championships? Maybe. But just like they had to change their recruiting style a few years back to adjust to the times, they might have to adjust their teachings to try and get over the top. As we know, KF's offense will never change. Let's hope TNT adapts to what is needed. In both football and wrestling, you have super human beings leading these young men and doing it the right way. We can bitch about the lack of offense but in the end, we're still in good shape in both programs.

Lastly, you might ask about Spencer Lee and how different he is. Now to explain Spencer Lee in a football comparison, let's pretend we combined the physical and mental skills of Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders, Barry Sanders, Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, John Elway, Patrick Mahomes, Ray Lewis, Dick Butkus, Walter Payton, Peyton Manning, and Tom Brady. That fictional Superhuman character? Still couldn't beat Spencer Lee. He's that good. The guy majored his way to a national title with no knees.
Thank you for taking the time to explain.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT