ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Rule Re: Sports Wagering/Ineligibility

AuroraHawk

HR Heisman
Dec 18, 2004
I found this last night: https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/proposalView?id=1881

Rule 10.3.2(a) and (b) distinguish between conduct that results in a permanent ban from NCAA eligibility and conduct that would result in a one-year ban from participating in NCAA competition. If an Iowa athlete point-shaves or bets on any sport in which Iowa is one of the contestants, permanent ban. Other activity, such as using an on-line betting app, results in a one-year suspension from the date that administration discovers the activity.

The "good" news is that the rule also creates a committee for the reinstatement of eligibility. The Virginia Tech football player who turned himself in after betting on the NBA playoffs ended up "only" sitting out six games.

Reactions: AuroraHawk
The "good" news is that the rule also creates a committee for the reinstatement of eligibility. The Virginia Tech football player who turned himself in after betting on the NBA playoffs ended up "only" sitting out six games.

Good find. I was trying to find information on the Reinstatement Committee but I hit a bunch of road blocks.

That written, the article makes it sound as if Va. Tech football player looks did about everything the "right way" to "lessen his sentence" and was still suspended for 1/2 the football season.

I'd think that would give a pretty good indication of how the committee views even the "best of circumstances" - self reporting, minimal amounts bet, nominal winnings donated to charity. It certainly gives some hope that certain players could return to the roster next year but it certainly looks ominous for certain players to see the field again this year.

How about this for precedent? 5 Richmond Spider baseball players were declared ineligible on February 17, 2017 for sports betting but were reinstated about one month later (late March 2017). https://www.espn.com/college-sports...rs-baseball-players-suspended-online-gambling

They missed about 32 games in that time period.

So you're saying that it's an auto-suspension regardless if you come clean or not?

I get the rule, but it is soooooo punitive. Play fantasy football on a $5 entry fee? Auto ban!

NCAA basketball pool? Auto-ban!

Shit sounds like the old HORT. Call Tom a pussy? Auto-ban!

Interesting. He wasn't suited up last weekend. Did you see Christensen, Tallman and/or Henderson as well?

I wasn't looking for them nor would I recognize them. In fact my son is the one who pointed out Anthony. My grandson got an autograph out of him.

Its an antiquated rule to prevent Criminal/Gangsters via back then book makers and loan sharks getting control of athletes to shave points off of games. So only players actually playing the game could effect the game results. That's the important part...only players that played in game could effect a game...not someone just betting on a game.

Betting on sporting events that don't involve an athlete should not be banned in this day and age of "amateur" athletics (that has fallen by wayside with players getting NIL deals before setting a foot on campus).

And don't expect the NCAA to do anything quickly on status of any alleged players that might be involved as they don't operate that way....they will let players lose playing time over long periods before ever coming back with any answers...that's their track record. If it's at a place like Nebraska...they just seem to forget about it....as in Frost and Hoieberg wrong doings.

Its an antiquated rule to prevent Criminal/Gangsters via back then book makers and loan sharks getting control of athletes to shave points off of games. So only players actually playing the game could effect the game results. That's the important part...only players that played in game could effect a game...not someone just betting on a game.
I think that there is more to it than just point shaving. The NCAA equivalent of "insider trading" is a component as well. The NCAA doesn't want University X's basketball players placing bets based upon what they are hearing from their buddies on University X's football team. There is also the "if you tell us who is hurt on the football team, we'll reverse your gambling losses" component.

Betting on sporting events that don't involve an athlete should not be banned in this day and age of "amateur" athletics (that has fallen by wayside with players getting NIL deals before setting a foot on campus).

NFL players should be allowed to bet on other NFL games?
NBA players should be allowed to bet on other NBA games?
MLB players should be allowed to bet on other MLB games?
Why should - your quote - "amateur" athletes be allowed to bet on any game in which they are not a participant?

And don't expect the NCAA to do anything quickly on status of any alleged players that might be involved as they don't operate that way....they will let players lose playing time over long periods before ever coming back with any answers...that's their track record. If it's at a place like Nebraska...they just seem to forget about it....as in Frost and Hoieberg wrong doings.

Although the NCAA won't move quickly on this, it's a bit different. Once the Iowa Athletic Dept is aware of the potential violation, they have to act and notify the NCAA. If they didn't and attempted to brush it under the rug, they risk institutional sanctions and potential forfeits. Further, and I hate that it likely results in losing two key players and positional depth at catcher, the Tisdale situation all but seals the fate for the Iowa baseball players. If any of the Iowa baseball players bet on-line and receive less than a 50% of the season suspension, they received better treatment than Tisdale.

Whether you like the rule or not, all other things being equal, why should the 4 Iowa baseball players receive less of a penalty than Tisdale? And this doesn't even get into the issue of whether the Iowa baseball players bet on an Iowa team. If that happened, those players might consider themselves lucky to ever play an NCAA sport again. The by-law makes it quite clear that betting on a team at your institution constitutes permanent ineligibility. They might be able to negotiate off of that penalty but I'd be stunned if, in that situation, the penalty is anything less than one year of ineligibility.

Heller indicates the potential for news prior to NW series.

Good call: https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...utm_medium=SMS&utm_campaign=LeistikowHawkeyes

EDIT: As a cautionary tale, hoping for a definitive ruling from the NCAA reinstatement committee before the Northwestern series is far different than expecting a favorable ruling from the NCAA reinstatement committee. I'm thinking that the best chance of getting players back would be if they bet $100 or less on non-Hawkeye games per the NCAA reinstatement guidelines. That gives hope for imposition of a "10% of the season" penalty. Iowa's played 48 games. Betting above $100 up to $300 moves it into the "30% of the season" penalty.

Iowa's played 48 games. The 4 players have missed 6 games. Anyone having to miss 10% of the season should be able to come back. If you get into the 30% of the season penalty, the penalty would be in the 15-17 range. Not much hope to get them back unless Iowa advances past a Regional into a Super Regional, maybe not before the CWS. (Best case: 9 regular season games, 4 B1G tournament games; 3 Regional = 15 games)

That written, receiving the "final word" will be an important step for planning purposes.

Last edited:
M hearing some of the gambling was over fantasy football, which is just ridiculous to punish for that.

Has there been any news on this recently? Any chance we get the guys back for the weekend, or is the NCAA doing their normal feet dragging?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT