ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Semifinals and Blood Round Thread

We already discussed this, no I don’t think AA in wrestling is as prestigious as other sports, in my opinion. As many as 316 other wrestlers would have also earned AA while Warner has been wrestling (80 per year), which is insane. But he is now a finalist which is a much bigger deal… I hope he finishes on top tonight.

Side note: I think only finalists should be AAs, 20 per year.
Have you ever wrestled?

Scruddy, history would tell us probably 1 finalist and that's if Lee comes back. After watching the super seniors at the tournament this year, I would certainly way my options If I'm Lee or Warner. Does Murion really want to be a 4/5-time qualifier? I know that Iowa would love to have a 4 timer and I believe Lee will try and do that for them. He does have bigger goals and if college wrestling in any way inhibits him from them, well maybe no.

Great, I’m 12 years in, but I wasn’t asking you… I asking the dude asking me random questions that have nothing to do with my point about AA status.

Even if I never wrestled, it doesn’t take away from the fact that I can recognize that 80 AAs a year out of roughly 340 wrestlers in the tournament (est. 780 starters) diminishes the value in being an All-American, in my opinion. For comparison, if 10% of all D1 football players earned AA status every year, you would have roughly 280 All-Americans. At least make a first, second, and third team AA status.

Great, I’m 12 years in, but I wasn’t asking you… I asking the dude asking me random questions that have nothing to do with my point about AA status.

Even if I never wrestled, it doesn’t take away from the fact that I can recognize that 80 AAs a year out of roughly 340 wrestlers in the tournament (est. 780 starters) diminishes the value in being an All-American, in my opinion. For comparison, if 10% of all D1 football players earned AA status every year, you would have roughly 280 All-Americans.
You’re comparing team sports with individual sports. It’s apples and oranges

Even if I never wrestled, it doesn’t take away from the fact that I can recognize that 80 AAs a year out of roughly 340 wrestlers in the tournament (est. 780 starters) diminishes the value in being an All-American, in my opinion. For comparison, if 10% of all D1 football players earned AA status every year, you would have roughly 280 All-Americans. At least make a first, second, and third team AA status.
You take a grenade to the head or something? That'd help explain many of your posts.

You take a grenade to the head or something? That'd help explain many of your posts.
Love the attacks on here constantly, just because I have a different opinion on things… really shows the true character of Iowa fans. I can see why everyone hates Iowa fans, look no further then this board.

I’m not going to argue with you, this seems to be the hill you want to die on
Good discussion, not arguing… you could simply say I made a solid point about how I see AA status. Everyone on here likes to throw AA around like it’s a huge badge of honor, and I’m not seeing it that way. 8th place in most sports is typically not something to boast about.

Love the attacks on here constantly, just because I have a different opinion on things… really shows the true character of Iowa fans. I can see why everyone hates Iowa fans, look no further then this board.
It seems your opinion is all negative towards Iowa. Why be a fan of a team when you don’t like anything about them?

Reactions: T8KUDWN
Good discussion, not arguing… you could simply say I made a solid point about how I see AA status. Everyone on here likes to throw AA around like it’s a huge badge of honor, and I’m not seeing it that way. 8th place in most sports is typically not something to boast about.
Most sports aren't as tough as wrestling.

8 AAs per weight class is just the right amount

It seems your opinion is all negative towards Iowa. Why be a fan of a team when you don’t like anything about them?
Probably more of growing tired of the nepotism at Iowa… ready for some changes across the board. I’m ready for new blood and energy in the programs, what’s the worst that can happen? We continue to finish third at NCAAs. I hate the mantra that it could be worse, so let’s be thankful for what we have.

I think people forget this is a fan message board, nothing wrong with calling out paid public figures (coaches and yes players too now) for underperforming, it’s what they signed up for.

Probably more of growing tired of the nepotism at Iowa… ready for some changes across the board. I’m ready for new blood and energy in the programs, what’s the worst that can happen? We continue to finish third at NCAAs. I hate the mantra that it could be worse, so let’s be thankful for what we have.

I think people forget this is a fan message board, nothing wrong with calling out paid public figures (coaches and yes players too now) for underperforming, it’s what they signed up for.
You do realize Iowa won NCAAs last year right? Let’s fire a coach who finished 1st a season ago? Do you realize how stupid you are?

You do realize Iowa won NCAAs last year right? Let’s fire a coach who finished 1st a season ago? Do you realize how stupid you are?

I'm starting to realize how stupid you all are for sure, I guess I fit in here then.

I see your point, but it does seem to overlook how many wrestlers actually participate in D1 wrestling.

80 student athletes out of ~2,730 in the sport appears reasonable to me.

The potential AA pool has been pre-whittled down from ~2,730 to 330 coming into the tournament. There are 78 teams in D1, but only ~66 are represented at the 2022 championship. There are ~35 wrestlers per team, but only 10 per have a chance to qualify through participation in their conference tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT