Lehigh
11​
19.5​
1​
Oklahoma
11​
11​

Reactions: smealpsu2005
A turn from top position IS an offensive move! Way better than ankle riding or standing up and driving a guy OOB over and over.

He rode the piss out of Shultz and then got a decisive turn to go to the finals. Give the guy his due.
That's why I said he hit one offensive move.. we are in agreement on that point.. I was critical of his neutral game which was nothing but backing away and avoiding action.
Just wait till Stallorocci and Brooks are gone! When there's finally some good refs then we will see. Also that pos RBY he wins with an arm behind his back, that's not fair. Did I mention all the injury's. Looking forward to the Iowa will have 4 finalist and 9 all Americans next year if not ten.
Just curious, who are these 4 finalists? Best case scenario I see maybe 3 in Lee, Warner and cass.

Nice having a finalist, but feels a little cheap not having Ferrari in the tourney... I've been critical of Warner in the past, but he has finally earned some respect. He will, however, have a tough battle to get it done tomorrow night.
Really? Sorry about that. Does it feel cheap that SL isn’t there to claim hardware, too? Douche

BRACKETS

DETROIT -- University of Iowa senior Jacob Warner advanced to the finals of the 2022 NCAA Championships following a 6-4 semifinal win Friday night at Little Caesars Arena.

Warner, the No. 6 seed at 197 pounds, scored four points in the third period to defeat Wyoming’s second-ranked Stephen Buchanan and advance to the NCAA finals for the first time in his career.

After a scoreless first period, Warner escaped to start the second, surrendered a takedown, and then escaped again in the closing seconds to enter the third period tied, 2-2. In the top position to start the third, Warner separated himself from Buchanan with four nearfall points to build a 6-2 lead. He gave up an escape and was dinged a point for stalling to make the final score, 6-4.

“I wrestled him last year and turned him so I knew I could do something on top,” Warner said. “My last two matches were won by being able to ride so I knew it was going to be a big factor in this match.

“All week I was working on getting that wrist tight. I got that wrist and as soon as I got it seatbelted to his hip I knew I could do something with it. I didn’t get it right away. I had to stick with it, keep elevating and going into him, and it made the difference.”

Warner advanced to the finals to extend Iowa’s streak of consecutive NCAA Championship finals appearances to 32 straight. He outscored his four opponents 19-5 to reach the finals, where he will face Penn State’s top-ranked Gabe Dean.

“Finish the wrist tilt today, good job. Finish the match, good job. Now we have to finish the tournament,” said Iowa head coach Tom Brands. “We are in the finals. Good job Jacob Warner.”

ALL-AMERICAN ROUND

Alex Marinelli, Michael Kemerer and Tony Cassioppi all picked up wins in the Round of 12 to secure All-America honors. Cassioppi earned a spot on the stand with a 4-0 win in his opening match, but dropped his second match of the night, 11-5, and will wrestle for seventh-place Saturday.

Marinelli became Iowa’s 25th four-time All-American with a 6-2 win in his first match and advanced to the consolation semifinals with a 4-2 in his second match.

Kemerer used a third-period takedown to clinch a 5-2 win in his first consolation match, securing the All-America honor and becoming the first five-time All-American in program history. Kemerer backed up his first win with a 3-1 overtime victory in the consolation quarters.

“Two tough wins, each guy,” Brands said. “There is no gimmie round. There is no slouch. You have to be ready. When you come back after (a loss), especially an upset, the emotions, you have to even them out. The thing that sucks is what sucks. The thing that you can control is go compete at your best the next time out.”

Austin DeSanto will join Marinelli and Kemerer in the consolation semifinals. DeSanto, seeded No. 5 at 133, surrendered a takedown to top-seeded Roman Bravo-Young with nine seconds left in the match to drop a 3-1 decision.

The Hawkeyes enter Saturday in fourth place with 62.0 team points. Penn State leads the team race with 108.0 points. Michigan (84.5) and Arizona State (63.5) round out the top four.

UP NEXT

The NCAA Championships continue Saturday at 10 a.m. (CT). ESPNU and WatchESPN are providing television and online coverage of the medal rounds. The finals begin Saturday at 6 p.m. on ESPN.

NOTABLES

Warner is a four-time All-American. He placed seventh in 2019, was a first-team All-American in 2020, and placed fourth in 2021.

Since 1999, when the NCAA implemented the weight classes used today, Iowa has never won a title at 197 pounds.

Iowa has had an NCAA finalist every years since 1990, a streak of 32 consecutive tournaments.

Michael Kemerer became the first five-time All-American in school history.

Alex Marinelli became the 25th four-time All-American in school history.

IOWA’S SEMIFINAL RESULTS

133 - #1 Roman Bravo-Young (Penn State) dec. #5 Austin DeSanto (Iowa), 3-1

197 - #6 Jacob Warner (Iowa) dec. #2 Stephen Buchanan (Wyoming), 6-4

IOWA’S ROUND OF 12 RESULTS

149 - #6 Jonathan Millner (App State) dec. #8 Max Murin (Iowa), 8-1

165 - #3 Alex Marinelli (Iowa) dec. #8 Phillip Conigliaro (Harvard), 6-2

174 - #5 Michael Kemerer (Iowa) dec. #8 Michael O’Malley (Drexel), 5-2

285 - #3 Tony Cassioppi (Iowa) dec. #16 Zach Elam (Missouri), 4-0

IOWA’S CONSOLATION QUARTERFINAL RESULTS

165 - #3 Alex Marinelli (Iowa) dec. #7 Carson Kharchla (Ohio State), 4-2

174 - #5 Michael Kemerer (Iowa) dec. #9 Mike Labriola (Nebraska), 3-1

285 - #7 Mason Parris (Michigan) dec. #3 Tony Cassioppi (Iowa), 11-5

IOWA’S NCAA FINALS MATCHUPS

197 - #6 Jacob Warner (Iowa) vs. #1 Max Dean (Penn State)

CONSOLATION SEMIFINAL MATCHUPS

133 - #5 Austin DeSanto (Iowa) vs. #7 Lucas Byrd (Illinois)

165 - #3 Alex Marinelli (Iowa) vs. #1 Evan Wick (Cal-Poly)

174 - #5 Michael Kemerer (Iowa) vs. #3 Logan Massa (Michigan)

SEVENTH-PLACE MATCHUPS

285 - #3 Tony Cassioppi (Iowa) vs. #12 Christian Lance (Nebraska)

TEAM STANDINGS

1. Penn State 108.0

2. Michigan 84.5

3. Arizona State 63.5

4. IOWA 62.0

5. Nebraska 54.0

6. Northwestern 49.0

7. Virginia Tech 48.0

8. Cornell 45.0

9. Ohio State 42.0

10. Missouri 42.0

We can complain about RBY's style and praise Warner's style (lack of neutral offense) because this is a HAWKEYE wresting board. Do posters really think RBY is garbage? I hope not... he's really good at wrestling. But some people need a place to vent and this is it. It's hard to accept DeSanto losing because of the effort he obviously puts into the sport. Do all Hawkeye fans wish Warner would tap into his offense a bit more. I hope so, but we can also be thrilled and super happy for him when he wins... no matter how anyone thought it looked.

I'm excited for the opportunity all 5 All-Americans have tomorrow, to represent themselves and their team. My guess is that all of them will try hard... lol.

I feel bad for the guys who didn't get what they want, but they'll get back to work.

One other thing... Kaleb Young... I think he and the coaches worked together to squeeze every bit of 3x all-American results they could collectively get. Congrats.

Oh... one more... Drake. I remember two lighter weight guys who DID have a redshirt and didn't place as freshmen. Doug Schwab and Tony Ramos (and they were healthy). I'm sure there are others. Anyone who doesn't see that Drake will eventually be chasing similar results as those two is not paying attention.

I invite anyone to stick up for the Hawks who worked their asses off all year.

Warner's Dad rolling into HR

conor-mcgregor-ufc.gif
😆

Reactions: ChipHilton
Ahhhh! Sorry to hear about your dog. That’s the worst! Glad to hear the new one is doing well!
Thanks so much, our last little guy was 13 and his liver failed. He went downhill fast and had to put him asleep. We were told of a good breeder with pups on Monday , we love our little guy.🙂
My wife has allergies so we can only consider certain breeds so we got another Yorkie. Our little guy slept through the night and appears to know when he needs to go out so things are going well.

We can complain about RBY's style and praise Warner's style (lack of neutral offense) because this is a HAWKEYE wresting board. Do posters really think RBY is garbage? I hope not... he's really good at wrestling. But some people need a place to vent and this is it. It's hard to accept DeSanto losing because of the effort he obviously puts into the sport. Do all Hawkeye fans wish Warner would tap into his offense a bit more. I hope so, but we can also be thrilled and super happy for him when he wins... no matter how anyone thought it looked.

I'm excited for the opportunity all 5 All-Americans have tomorrow, to represent themselves and their team. My guess is that all of them will try hard... lol.

I feel bad for the guys who didn't get what they want, but they'll get back to work.

One other thing... Kaleb Young... I think he and the coaches worked together to squeeze every bit of 3x all-American results they could collectively get. Congrats.

Oh... one more... Drake. I remember two lighter weight guys who DID have a redshirt and didn't place as freshmen. Doug Schwab and Tony Ramos (and they were healthy). I'm sure there are others. Anyone who doesn't see that Drake will eventually be chasing similar results as those two is not paying attention.

I invite anyone to stick up for the Hawks who worked their asses off all year.
Nice post. Disappointing tourney results for the Hawks but considering their injuries and all the hard work, the Iowa wrestlers can no doubt hold their heads high. Best of luck to those wrestling today. I hope all can finish the season with a win.

I’m happy for Jacob Warner. He gets a lot of criticism here and on BWI, but he wrestles what works for him and seems like a class act. After he loses, he chases down his opponent to shake their hand even when they are mugging with the crowd (Schultz), which is impressive. So, I'm glad he made the finals. Will likely be a tight one tonight with Dean, and even if I’m a PSU fan, I won’t be (too) upset if Warner wins. Good luck with your matches today and hope Cass, Desanto, Marinelli and Kemerer end on positive notes.

Serious question...and I'm not meaning this as a troll post at all....

but go back to page 2 or so and see the plethora of posts by people saying RBY is a disgrace to the sport, etc. because he doesn't initiate any offense. Warner wrestles the exact same way. Yeah, he got the tilt, and it obviously held up because he is a great defensive wrestler...but if we're going to knock RBY, Sasso, and some others because of their lack of offense, then we can't be OK with our guy not taking a shot the entire match either. It works for some, and Warner has obviously been wrestling extremely well. I'm pumped for him and hope like hell he can take out Dean. He's right there with him in the dual until Dean caught him late in the third.
Well numbnuts, you wouldn't know because you only come around when we're losing during the national tournament, but most of the board bitches about Jacob Warner all year long.

I love Jacob Warner, have always stuck up for him. I believe he wants to score but he's just not that quick compared to the super athletic 97's.

Last edited:
I’m happy for Jacob Warner. He gets a lot of criticism here and on BWI, but he wrestles what works for him and seems like a class act. After he loses, he chases down his opponent to shake their hand even when they are mugging with the crowd (Schultz), which is impressive. So, I'm glad he made the finals. Will likely be a tight one tonight with Dean, and even if I’m a PSU fan, I won’t be (too) upset if Warner wins. Good luck with your matches today and hope Cass, Desanto, Marinelli and Kemerer end on positive notes.
I'm saying this is no doubt the best post from a PSU fan ever on this forum.

Wepl numbnuts, you wouldn't know because you only come around when we're losing during the national tournament, but most of the board bitches about Jacob Warner all year long.

I love Jacob Warner, have always stuck up for him. I believe he wants to score but he's just not that quick compared to the super athletic 97's.
I like Warner, he's a worker.

Reactions: 24 so far
Finally. He is a 4 time AA!!! Finally. Really?
We already discussed this, no I don’t think AA in wrestling is as prestigious as other sports, in my opinion. As many as 316 other wrestlers would have also earned AA while Warner has been wrestling (80 per year), which is insane. But he is now a finalist which is a much bigger deal… I hope he finishes on top tonight.

Side note: I think only finalists should be AAs, 20 per year.

ADVERTISEMENT