18. Pitt: 24

19. Georgia Tech: 23

20. Boston College: 22

21. Missouri: 22

22. Tennessee: 22

23. Alabama: 21

24. DePaul: 21

25. FSU: 21

I’m commenting from an Illini-biased perspective (don’t flame me!), but what’s really sad is that we have won two Tournament games since 2006 ... lol, 14 years ago, we would have been quite comfortable in first place. Not that that’s REALLY anything to be proud of. :(

Shame this year was cancelled, as I bet we both could have done some damage with the right draw.

Amazing Purdue with all great players they've had come through hasn't made the Final 4 since 1980 (same as Iowa). Guess I was too young for early part of it but also surprised Gene Keady in his great career never once made a Final 4.

Amazing Purdue with all great players they've had come through hasn't made the Final 4 since 1980 (same as Iowa). Guess I was too young for early part of it but also surprised Gene Keady in his great career never once made a Final 4.

It is strange:
Purdue is substantially better than Indiana at winning Big Ten titles.
NCAA titles, not so much.

If my math is right, Iowa had 20 of it's 30 NCAA wins with either Olson or Davis as coach.

Man, the 80's were a great decade for Iowa basketball. NCAAs 9 of 10 years, a Final 4, an Elite 8, a couple of Sweet 16s and 13 NCAA tourney wins.

If my math is right, Iowa had 20 of it's 30 NCAA wins with either Olson or Davis as coach.

Man, the 80's were a great decade for Iowa basketball. NCAAs 9 of 10 years, a Final 4, an Elite 8, a couple of Sweet 16s and 13 NCAA tourney wins.
80's were lots of fun. Some damn tough losses also.

If I remember correctly, Illinois has the most Final 4 appearances WITHOUT winning the title with 4. Iowa has 3.

If I remember correctly, Illinois has the most Final 4 appearances WITHOUT winning the title with 4. Iowa has 3.
Illinois has 5 final four appearances. I remember Duke holding that title at one time.

Duke went to 8 FFs before winning a title.
Duke has won a title (or two) so they are not on the list appearances of teams that have been to the FF without winning. One title takes a team off the list no matter how many times before winning.

Meh, there are some schools who have just one NC to their name, and for a few of them it was so long ago, their championship really shouldn't be considered. For example, the NCAA tournament was established in 1939, but up until 1951 the NIT was considered the preeminent post-season men's basketball tournament. It was basically the same as how we view the NIT vs the NCAA now, but in reverse. IMO 1951 is when you should start counting.

I'm looking straight at you Connie.

Oregon is another.

Reactions: SSG T

Conversely, the 2000s and the rebuilding portion of the 2010s absolutely stunted our historical profile.

Reactions: SSG T
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT