ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Tournament

duke unc and kansas all in final four this year
nothing new about that

cheaters just gonna have to pay a lot more
OR maybe we'll have some school pay up and change this!!

In a 1-and-done tournament there will always be flukey stuff that happens. There's plenty of years where a couple teams seem like they have an absolutely loaded roster/recruiting class that craps out of the tournament early. I truly don't think that will change.

We just had St. Peter's in the Elite 8.
Exactly. The best players were all going to a few schools before. That will still be the case.

Biggest difference now is schools don't even have to pretend to care about the student part of student-athlete. Some will have their sensibilities offended, but it's just out in the open now.

I love my Hawks....basketball first and Football a close second. It's more than just fandom for me, it's both an escape and an interest that is probably at an unhealthy level. I have loved Iowa doing it the right way, even though it makes us the underdog to Bluebloods and cheaters. I admire the character and the integrity of the good struggle and the wins that come from it.

I am very worried that between the quick and easy transfer route and the NIL that college sports could basically be a group of mercenaries....much like the pros, just going to the highest bidder. That's a key reason that decades ago I slid away from most pro sports and have just been Hawkeye......So, I fear where this is headed. I am not yet convinced that all will be lost, but I am very uneasy about it. I fear that these factors could cause me to slide away from something I love....I hope not.

All that said, I think that athletes should have the ability to transfer. I also believe that they shouldn't be performing and sacrificing what they do while others make millions upon millions and they see NOTHING....but damn, there needs to be some balance and order.

I love my Hawks....basketball first and Football a close second. It's more than just fandom for me, it's both an escape and an interest that is probably at an unhealthy level. I have loved Iowa doing it the right way, even though it makes us the underdog to Bluebloods and cheaters. I admire the character and the integrity of the good struggle and the wins that come from it.

I am very worried that between the quick and easy transfer route and the NIL that college sports could basically be a group of mercenaries....much like the pros, just going to the highest bidder. That's a key reason that decades ago I slid away from most pro sports and have just been Hawkeye......So, I fear where this is headed. I am not yet convinced that all will be lost, but I am very uneasy about it. I fear that these factors could cause me to slide away from something I love....I hope not.

All that said, I think that athletes should have the ability to transfer. I also believe that they shouldn't be performing and sacrificing what they do while others make millions upon millions and they see NOTHING....but damn, there needs to be some balance and order.
Agreed - Iowa would be the equivalent of the Milwaukee Brewers payroll while UK would be akin to the NY Yankee payroll…🤑

Reactions: amahawk
In a 1-and-done tournament there will always be flukey stuff that happens. There's plenty of years where a couple teams seem like they have an absolutely loaded roster/recruiting class that craps out of the tournament early. I truly don't think that will change.
Right.

7 games series eliminates most of the potential for major upsets.

1 game almost anything can happen.

Snoozer and NCAA tournament don’t belong in the same sentence. Players deserve to get paid and have the same freedom as coaches, deal with it.
really. Then they deserved to get let go if they don't preform.

Snoozer and NCAA tournament don’t belong in the same sentence. Players deserve to get paid and have the same freedom as coaches, deal with it.
Your first sentence is 100% correct (except for most NCAA title games, those are often anticlimactic af with a few exceptions).

The subject matter of your second sentence will be dealt with, but not in a way you'll find agreeable..........I hope you'll be able to deal with it. :)

At least the pros have some built in safeguards, like salary caps, to keep all the talent out of just a few hands. Unfortunately, it appears with NIL, anything goes. In the long run, perhaps the same teams that are somehow gathering in all the best players now, will continue to do so. It will just, presumably, cost them more. My concern is for 95% of the rest of the field and how this will affect them, including Iowa.

One team that I think will absolutely collapse because of the changes is Gonzaga & that’s sad.

They’ve been 1 of the top 5 CBB programs for the last 15 years or so.

Horrible that this is how/why they’re impressive dynasty ends.

OP clearly has an axe to grind but he clearly doesn't watch the NBA playoffs or is just anti NBA. NCAA tournament is getting worse for every year while NBA playoffs continue to to be awesome even if the first round has some snoozers. NBA actually cares about determining who the best teams are and the way to do that is a 7 game series. Wolves and Griz were a nice preview but there could be some epic battles coming up. College sports is fading fast for me, the CFP tends to suck most years too. The revenue generated and salaries in the NBA speak for themselves and showcases some of the worlds best athletes, even if it isn't a great fit for a rural state like Iowa

OP clearly has an axe to grind but he clearly doesn't watch the NBA playoffs or is just anti NBA. NCAA tournament is getting worse for every year while NBA playoffs continue to to be awesome even if the first round has some snoozers. NBA actually cares about determining who the best teams are and the way to do that is a 7 game series. Wolves and Griz were a nice preview but there could be some epic battles coming up. College sports is fading fast for me, the CFP tends to suck most years too. The revenue generated and salaries in the NBA speak for themselves and showcases some of the worlds best athletes, even if it isn't a great fit for a rural state like Iowa
Very well said.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT