ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Transfer Portal (Tom Izzo)

Rambler Hawk

HR Legend
Oct 10, 2001
SIAP

I have never been a fan of Izzo since is public outrage of Iowa firing Lickliter, but he does make some interesting points. IMHO I do think they need to cap off how many times a kid can transfer - it's starting to get out of control (i.e. Charlie Moore). Also, I wonder if the portal is a net positive for a program like Iowa who mainly rely on recruiting 3 star kids and developing them...

https://247sports.com/Article/Michi...ransfer-portal-is-hard-on-the-game-185925695/

But, but .... what about the kids? Those kids that have to go to class AND play basketball all at the same time? The kids that can't take their girlfriend to McD's, all while the school makes TRILLIONS.

There are few in the world that suffer like college athletes. Sure, almost everything is free and they get an education, training table, physical therapy for owies, now NIL - but they have to play a sport in front of millions of on TV and thousands of fans in the stands. It's hard. These poor bastards have been taken advantage of for far too long!

What if a coach yells at him? Is he supposed to just take that? HE IS A STAR! He should just simply be able to move on to the next school.

Or, what if he doesn't get to play a lot? Just stick it out? No, they should have the portal open for players that want to transfer between games if they want.

People that play sports transcend the rest of us humans. They are like Gods. We should do everything we can to treat them accordingly, or they might just ... uh ... stop playing? And we would have to watch someone else!😲

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
SIAP

I have never been a fan of Izzo since is public outrage of Iowa firing Lickliter, but he does make some interesting points. IMHO I do think they need to cap off how many times a kid can transfer - it's starting to get out of control (i.e. Charlie Moore). Also, I wonder if the portal is a net positive for a program like Iowa who mainly rely on recruiting 3 star kids and developing them...

https://247sports.com/Article/Michi...ransfer-portal-is-hard-on-the-game-185925695/
The portal definitely isn't going to be a positive for us. Kids showing good promise will get poached by blue chippers just like Frederick.

But, but .... what about the kids? Those kids that have to go to class AND play basketball all at the same time? The kids that can't take their girlfriend to McD's, all while the school makes TRILLIONS.

There are few in the world that suffer like college athletes. Sure, almost everything is free and they get an education, training table, physical therapy for owies, now NIL - but they have to play a sport in front of millions of on TV and thousands of fans in the stands. It's hard. These poor bastards have been taken advantage of for far too long!

What if a coach yells at him? Is he supposed to just take that? HE IS A STAR! He should just simply be able to move on to the next school.

Or, what if he doesn't get to play a lot? Just stick it out? No, they should have the portal open for players that want to transfer between games if they want.

People that play sports transcend the rest of us humans. They are like Gods. We should do everything we can to treat them accordingly, or they might just ... uh ... stop playing? And we would have to watch someone else!😲

:rolleyes:
Good thing their kids won't have to worry about college sports in 20 years ;)

The portal definitely isn't going to be a positive for us. Kids showing good promise will get poached by blue chippers just like Frederick.
The transfer portal will be 4 years old this fall. One example who has played exactly zero minutes at his new school compared to two other kids who showed good promise (and became all Americans) with a third potentially in the wings doesn't exactly prove your point. The transfer portal for Iowa has been a net meh so far.

The transfer portal will be 4 years old this fall. One example who has played exactly zero minutes at his new school compared to two other kids who showed good promise (and became all Americans) with a third potentially in the wings doesn't exactly prove your point. The transfer portal for Iowa has been a net meh so far.
Yeah, the portal impact at Iowa has been small. But, what about the impact of playing other teams that have raided the portal successfully? Like ISU for example.

I guess time will tell - but as you can guess from my post above, I am not in favor of unlimited player movement.

Yeah, the portal impact at Iowa has been small. But, what about the impact of playing other teams that have raided the portal successfully? Like ISU for example.

I guess time will tell - but as you can guess from my post above, I am not in favor of unlimited player movement.
As I understand it... correct me if I'm wrong, but the player gets ONE free transfer. Doesn't have to sit out. After that, it goes back to the sit a year to transfer rule if he transfers a second time.

I hate the transfer portal, mainly because we have a coach who is willing to play against teams with a bunch of transfers, but won't take advantage of the system himself.
I do enjoy watching our players grow from high schoolers to more or less finished products as Seniors, but if you are going to succeed in the world of college basketball, you have to take advantage of all the rules that are positively affecting your opponents, whether you think it is good for the sport or not.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
There is no chance Keegan or Kris are going to transfer from the school their dad attended that's 20 miles from where they grew up.

Luka wasn't a star until later in his career. I'm referring more to a kid that comes in as a freshman and looks really good.

It remains to be seen but I certainly could see kids jump to a Duke or North Carolina if they suddenly get that interest from them that they didn't have coming out of high school.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
ADVERTISEMENT