ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA TV Guide

Impossible Is Nothing

HR All-State
Aug 31, 2004
This has gotten simpler over the years as ESPN has improved and refined its approach, but in case there are questions...

Regular TV (cable/satellite/OTT)
All six sessions will be televised according to the following schedule (all times CT):
  • Session I (first round) - Thursday, 11:00 AM, ESPNU
  • Session II (second round) - Thursday, 6:00 PM, ESPN
  • Session III (quarterfinals) - Friday, 10:00 AM, ESPNU
  • Session IV (semifinals) - Friday, 7:00 PM, ESPN
  • Session V (medal round) - Saturday, 10:00 AM, ESPNU
  • Session VI (finals) - Saturday, 6:00 PM, ESPN
Contrary to some other reports/sources, Session II and Session V will NOT be on ESPN2. ESPN2 will be carrying NCAA WBB tournament games during those times. DVR with caution!

Streaming (ESPN app or internet browser)
All of the above broadcasts can be also be accessed via the ESPN mobile app (tap "Watch") or an internet browser (https://www.espn.com/watch) with a TV provider log-in.

Individual mat coverage will be available on ESPN3. In basic terms, ESPN3 content is available to anyone who 1) pays for ESPN networks via a TV subscription, and/or 2) has an internet provider that provides access to ESPN3. Information about accessing ESPN3 content is available here: https://support.espn.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003814592-How-can-I-watch-an-ESPN3-event-. As someone noted on another thread, there is a lot of content available at any given time on ESPN3, so it's fairly easy to test it out in advance. Either it will work seamlessly, or you will be prompted for a log-in.

Other notes
  1. It looks like all of the streams are set up on the app, but they are inconsistently categorized. Some are under "NCAA Wrestling", and some are under "Wrestling". Just FYI if it seems like there are mats missing. Doing a search for "wrestling" should turn up everything.
  2. As others have already pointed out, ESPN+ is irrelevant to this event. ESPN+ will not give you access to ESPN3, nor is it a substitute for a traditional TV subscription.

• Three straight nights of primetime wrestling on ESPN; 19 hours of live coverage overall
  • ‘MATCAST’ to present individual feeds of every mat for all sessions on ESPN3, Command Center second-screen viewing option for Saturday night’s championship matches
  • Former UFC Heavyweight Champion and NCAA Wrestling All-American Daniel Cormier joins as analyst
The NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships return to ESPN networks with 19 hours of live coverage from Little Caesars Arena in Detroit this weekend, March 17-19. ESPN will cover every mat and every single match from start to finish, including three nights of primetime wrestling action on ESPN’s flagship network. Coverage will also feature a ‘MATCAST’ viewing option on ESPN3, as well as a Command Center second-screen experience for every championship match on Saturday night.

ESPN has presented the NCAA Wrestling Championships since 1980, making it one of the longest-running events on the network.

ESPNU will televise the early sessions over three straight days, beginning with three-and-a-half hours of first-round action on Thursday, March 17, at noon ET. The Quarterfinal (Friday) and Medal Round (Saturday) will also air on ESPNU. The three nights of primetime sessions on ESPN – including the Second Round (Thurs.) and Semifinals (Fri.) – will culminate Saturday, March 19, at 7 p.m. with the Championship matches in each weight class.

The ‘MATCAST’ option will be available through the Medal Round via ESPN3 and the ESPN App. The presentation will show multi-boxes of all the mats so fans never miss a single point. This year, ESPN is adding a dedicated announce team to further bolster the “MATCAST’ coverage. During Saturday night’s finals, the Command Center on ESPN3 will offer unique commentary as well as ISO cameras focused on coaches, family and friends, unique angles from an overhead jib, mat-side robotic cameras, and more with a collection of the most respected names in the wrestling community providing commentary.

Commentators
Former UFC Heavyweight Champion and NCAA Wrestling All-American Daniel Cormier will be part of ESPN’s presentation of the Championships for the first time as an analyst. Cormier will join veterans Mike Couzens, Jim Gibbons and Quint Kessenich for the primetime telecasts on Friday and Saturday. The full roster of ESPN voices on-site at Little Caesars Arena will include:

ESPN (Primetime):

• Mike Couzens (play-by-play) – A versatile ESPN play-by-play voice calling the Championships for the fifth year.
  • Daniel Cormier (analyst) – Current UFC lead analyst is a former NCAA All-American (Oklahoma State) and former UFC Heavyweight Champion.
  • Jim Gibbons (analyst) – Former NCAA Champion as both wrestler and coach (Iowa State), current Big Ten Network lead analyst, inducted in the Iowa Wrestling Hall of Fame in 2003.
  • Quint Kessenich (reporter) – The multi-sport reporter and analyst will cover all sessions in his 17th year.
ESPNU (Daytime):

• Shawn Kenney (play-by-play) – ACC Network’s lead play-by-play voice.
  • J’Den Cox (analyst) – Former three-time NCAA Champion (Missouri), two-time World Champion, and Olympic Bronze Medalist.
  • Rock Harrison (analyst) – ACC Network’s lead analyst, former Virginia wrestler and 10-year referee.
MATCAST:

• Shane Sparks (play-by-play) – Big Ten Network’s lead play-by-play voice
  • Anthony Robles (analyst) – Former NCAA Champion (Arizona State) returns to ESPN’s NCAA Wrestling coverage
* Thursday’s coverage will combine the daytime and primetime announce teams
** All nine announcers will contribute to the Command Center presentation on Saturday night

Fans can follow the action on Twitter through @NCAAWrestling and join the conversation by tagging their tweets #NCAAWrestling. For more information on the NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships: http://www.ncaa.com/wrestling.

2022 NCAA Championships Schedule on ESPN:

DateTime (ET)SessionNetworksESPN3/ESPN App Mat Feeds
Thu, Mar 17Noon – 3:30 p.m.First RoundESPNU8 mat feeds and MATCAST
7 – 10:30 p.m.Second RoundESPN8 mat feeds and MATCAST
Fri, Mar 1811 a.m. – 2 p.m.QuarterfinalsESPNU8 mat feeds and MATCAST
8 – 11 p.m.SemifinalsESPN6 mat feeds and MATCAST
Sat, Mar 1911 a.m. – 2 p.m.Medal RoundESPNU4 mat feeds and MATCAST
7 – 10 p.m.ChampionshipESPNCommand Center and Trophy Ceremony

Can anyone tell me if I’ll be able to view what’s on ESPN U through the ESPN+ app?

Reactions: IRONBIRD
Can anyone tell me if I’ll be able to view what’s on ESPN U through the ESPN+ app?
Only if you have a subscription to a service such as YouTube TV, Fubo, Sling, Hulu, or a cable provider. ESPN+ is separate from the other ESPN streams. Yesterday I signed up for a free seven-day Fubo trial that gets me access to all ESPN* streams, which I access via the ESPN app on my tablet or via the web site (see above) in my browser.

Only if you have a subscription to a service such as YouTube TV, Fubo, Sling, Hulu, or a cable provider. ESPN+ is separate from the other ESPN streams. Yesterday I signed up for a free seven-day Fubo trial that gets me access to all ESPN* streams, which I access via the ESPN app on my tablet or via the web site (see above) in my browser.
Yup. I’m signed in through our Hulu account down here so sounds like it should be all good!(fingers crossed)

Appreciate the reply!

As said above, ESPN+ gets you zero coverage of this event.
Only if I don’t have a provider…. Which I do. I watch regular ESPN down here all the time through the ESPN+ because I log in through my Hulu account.

Only if I don’t have a provider…. Which I do. I watch regular ESPN down here all the time through the ESPN+ because I log in through my Hulu account.

Right. But somebody who doesn’t get ESPN will be wasting their money if they buy ESPN+.

I only mention it because each of the last several years multiple people have made that mistake on this message board. Trying to help people not waste their money.

Last edited:
Right. But somebody who doesn’t get ESPN will be wasting their money if they buy ESPN+.

I only mention it because each of the last severely years multiple people have made that mistake on this message board. Trying to help people wasting money.
Gotcha.

Reactions: ping72
considering all the years I used to hold an am radio sideways against an upstairs window to get KXIC to come in

or sat on a gravel road on a hilltop to get it....

guess I shouldn’t complain about anything.... BUT I wish ESPN ap could list the mats in numerical order 😂 instead of just scrambled..... being a boomer trying to keep track of mat assignments on track and having multiple Hawks wrestling simultaneously...... I get really flustered easy enough 😂😂😂 every second a guy could be missing a fall

Thru my cable provider, all the daytime sessions are scheduled on ESPNU, and all the nightime sessions on ESPN. Same as the OP's message says.

Went to an ESPN APP thru my Roku, and hadn't accessed in a while, so had to go to ESPN.com/activate and it prompts you to enter the code that is provided on screen. You have to enter your cable provider information and they'll ask for your E-mail and password and all that fun stuff. If you enter all that info correctly it will eventually show a box that says "your Roku is activated". Shortly after SportsCenter showed up streaming on that app (which I had clicked on previously saying it was live, but couldn't view until I activated). So it appears I'm good to go there too.

I don't have Hulu or Slingbox or whatever. I have a $7000 a month cable bill (rounding up slightly........😏), so hopefully this will help someone with a similar setup. That's all I got.

Thru my cable provider, all the daytime sessions are scheduled on ESPNU, and all the nightime sessions on ESPN. Same as the OP's message says.

Went to an ESPN APP thru my Roku, and hadn't accessed in a while, so had to go to ESPN.com/activate and it prompts you to enter the code that is provided on screen. You have to enter your cable provider information and they'll ask for your E-mail and password and all that fun stuff. If you enter all that info correctly it will eventually show a box that says "your Roku is activated". Shortly after SportsCenter showed up streaming on that app (which I had clicked on previously saying it was live, but couldn't view until I activated). So it appears I'm good to go there too.

I don't have Hulu or Slingbox or whatever. I have a $7000 a month cable bill (rounding up slightly........😏), so hopefully this will help someone with a similar setup. That's all I got.
For that kinda money, there should be a supermodel included to take care of the TVtuning.

I am likely only going to be able to listen to the first session bc i will be at work but i took off friday so i will be able to watch every other match. Its awesome that every match is televised.

Same. It made me go to ESPN.com/activate and enter a code and I was all good.

Reactions: 24 so far
considering all the years I used to hold an am radio sideways against an upstairs window to get KXIC to come in

guess I shouldn’t complain about anything.... BUT I wish ESPN ap could list the mats in numerical order 😂 instead of just scrambled..... being a boomer trying to keep track of mat assignments on track and having multiple Hawks wrestling simultaneously...... I get really flustered easy enough 😂😂😂 every second a guy could be missing a fall
been there done that brother - when you are out on a hilltop in the dark sitting in your car ppl look at you funny..

I think they scramble the mat order specifically FOR boomers. Forces brain plasticity and new neuronal networks to prevent brain decay. Or maybe if you drink enough they'll actually appear in the correct order?

ADVERTISEMENT