ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Womens Tournament

Mar 14, 2003
Things are underway in Iowa City, Miami leading Washington by 7 with about 13 min left.

The tournament is starting a day earlier this year it seems?

The 11 seed Miami takes down the 6 seed Washington in Iowa City. I don't know a lot about Miami, they are an ACC team. You've got to think if Bluder & company had a chance at a Sweet 16 this is their best one yet.

Miami is a difficult matchup though. They did beat Notre Dame this season by 15, but they also have some terrible loses.

This post was edited on 3/20 1:19 PM by IowaHawkeyeFBnBB4Life

Well, Northwestern lost to Arkansas. Maybe if Northwestern state could beat Baylor (and have them out of both men's and womens' tourneys), then Iowa could find an easier path to the elite 8 with lower seeds...

A lot of potential rematches now. Iowa plays Miami that they beat last year in the tourney if they win today. Arkansas would be a rematch from earlier this year where they could get some revenge too, if Arkansas would beat who wins the other side of that bracket.

And then if they get to the Elite 8, then likely they'd have to face Notre Dame again there too.

Even Northwestern State would be a potential revenge object for what they did to the men many years back too.

Yes Miami is very difficult to pin down. In just looking at their schedule though, home court should really help for Iowa because for the most part they have really struggled to win on the road. A 3 seed has never lost to a 14 seed, and I'm not sure how common it is for an 11 seed to win against a 3 seed on their court (I know a couple have gotten through using the pre-determined host teams), but surely it can't be all that common in the women's tourney. Looking down the road, Baylor did lose to Iowa State a couple weeks ago but yea, I think they really really need to get to the sweet 16 this year especially with what they are losing.

American not being pushed over that is for sure. They are scrappy and hitting some bombs... contrasted with our technical precision and ball movement.

I hope we get some separation soon.

American shooting out of their minds in the first half. Getting rolls you typically see in women's basketball.

Iowa just needs to keep pace with them until they start to cool off.

And not continue to make careless passes/turnovers..................................

Originally posted by Row55:
Our game is on now, guess the first game ran late.
I think that Eastcoast Sports Programming Network decided to put them on when American took the lead on Iowa. If Iowa had been stomping them, I think they wouldn't have put Iowa on then. They kind of said that they were looking at this game when they intro'd it as this being the reason they were going to the game.

Originally posted by EvilMonkeyInTheCloset:
American shooting out of their minds in the first half. Getting rolls you typically see in women's basketball.

Iowa just needs to keep pace with them until they start to cool off.

And not continue to make careless passes/turnovers..................................
And tons of those were bank shots that went in. I'm trying to decide if I'm getting a curse from my late dad who went to American University in my younger days, or if it is from my sister who used to work at "Bank" of America (she also went to school at Penn State too)... :p

This post was edited on 3/20 2:39 PM by SpartanHawk

Is Iowa actually smaller than American or are they just playing smaller? I mean they've missed a ton of lay-up attempts short looking like they were afraid of getting blocked.............

Thing I have noticed is that American really looks to spread the floor.

Dixon just hit a three though and is 4-4. She came to play. Hawks up 6 now early in the 2nd half.

Originally posted by EvilMonkeyInTheCloset:
Is Iowa actually smaller than American or are they just playing smaller? I mean they've missed a ton of lay-up attempts short looking like they were afraid of getting blocked.............

Thing I have noticed is that American really looks to spread the floor.

Dixon just hit a three though and is 4-4. She came to play. Hawks up 6 now early in the 2nd half.
We should put a stache on her and have her outside shot on the mens team. ESPN2 finally put us on instead of Kent/Tenn.

This post was edited on 3/20 3:09 PM by Hawk8595

Logic has 12, 8 and 8 with 8 minutes to go. Good chance to get a triple double?

Originally posted by EagleHawk:
Logic has 12, 8 and 8 with 8 minutes to go. Good chance to get a triple double?
It's too bad that Jennings didn't hit that drive to the bucket where she hit the foul shots. That would have been assist #9 along with 11 rebounds Logic wound up with. I think if she had just 1 more assist to get with that much time left, perhaps Bluder might have tried to set up a long pass from Logic to someone like Disterhoft or Dixon to hit a long three and get her the 10th assist to cap things off and bring the house down.

But to get two assists that way with that much time left wasn't going to happen with all of the fouling that American was doing that didn't really allow for many if any assisted shots.

This post was edited on 3/20 3:46 PM by SpartanHawk

FWIW.......all the women's Sunday games are on either ESPN or ESPN2. Who plays at what time has not been reported, other than all the games times; the times are 11am, 1:30, 6:00, 8:00, and another 8:00 pm game.

ISU taken out by Dayton 78-66. They were never the same after Buckley went down.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT