ADVERTISEMENT

*************NCAA Wrestling Championships Session 5************

Tony chooses down to start 2nd period.

Tony to his feet and escapes for 3-0 leads.

Left hand on the collar for Tony. Looking for snatch single, but Schultz is doing a good job of keepng hands down.

Schultz was a junior world medalist in Greco. Be careful with him.

Tony has nice snap.

Schultz is big. Mark Perry in his corner.

Schultz is a redshirt freshman from Parker, CO.

He won Greco championship in December.

Silver medal in Estonia

End of 2nd period and Tony leads 3-0.

Reactions: nwhawkincr
Tony on top to begin 3rd period.

Switch action by Schultz but Tony drives thru it.

Tony riding Schultz like a pony. ( my words)

Schultz not doing anything on bottom.

Tony has RT and stall point and wins 5-0.

Tony is your third place finisher after a five seed. Nice work stud says Ironside.

Mark and Steven are pumped.

Only lost one match all morning.

Iowa took care of business on the backside today. Tonight's wrestlers can come in relaxed and not worry about team race.

This has been a very good day.

Solid tournament for Warner - finished ahead of his seed so gotta like that.

Would love to see him turn the corner and find some more offense next year. After his first round win Warner went 3, 2, 4, 6, 2 and 3 in scoring the rest of his matches. For him to be a title contender I think he has to find more offense than he is showing right now. He clearly has shown he can wrestle right with the best guys, but needs to find a way to turn the corner next year. Champ potential.
he Did a great job riding in the tourney. Wonder how many matches he got a riding point

Reactions: The catman
I'm a little worn out from all of the typing and need to take a break and watch some "sportball", as my art school major daughter calls it.

Brings back memories to the days when you'd type out the pbp before all matches were televised/streamed online.

Reactions: redbirdhawk
Anyway they can both be DQ'ed simultaneously?
IdenticalShrillDassierat-small.gif

Huh for some reason I thought Cardinale would have a chance to keep wrestling on the back side until he lost. Lol. Was hoping he got the rematch with Latona. Congrats to y’all iowa fans. I know I’ll be rooting for the three iowa finalists and def ads.

Grace and Ironside speculating about Fresno St. and Stanford wrestlers and where they will go after their schools drop wrestling.

Minnesota could end up in 5th place, depending on how Steveson does tonight.

#3 seed Corbin Myers of VATECH vs. Austin DeSanto up now.

No history between the two.

Myers used to wrestle at Edinboro.

Ironside awaits the talk about who'll be coming back. Nobody knows yet how it will work with scholarship money and eligibility. Olympic Trials will factor into decisions as well.

Kaleb Young, Warner and Cassioppi are all going to be wrestling soon.

Ironside is very impressed with Austin DeSanto this tournament.

He's been fun to watch.

ADS shoots right off the whistle.

Myers gets in deep after a shot. ADS fighting it off but ankle hook and Myers gets the TD. Myers looking for cradle but ADS escapes.

ADS goes after him again.

Myers just sitting on his hands and knees.

ADS trails 1-2.

Myers is tough.

Ironside says go to the other arm ADS.

Big snap by Myers.

Snap by ADS into a collar tie. Sweep and slide by from ADS. Nothing.

Nice shot by ADS, Myers tries headlock and ADS goes behind for TD. Myers escapes. Another nice shot by ADS and has both legs and gets TD at buzzer. Being challenged.
How does no one not know how the scholarships will work on wrestling when they already have this figured out in every other sport?

I understand Iowa has the team championship wrapped up, but that assumes we don’t start getting points deducted for throwing head gear, right?

I understand Iowa has the team championship wrapped up, but that assumes we don’t start getting points deducted for throwing head gear, right?
Assuming they don’t all throw their head gear, take off their singlets, and run around the stadium naked while Tom screams over the loudspeaker “you don’t like tough wrestling!” The team championship is locked up.

Lee: going to win it as expected

Desanto: great tournament! Did more than expected. Arguably the best he has ever looked.

JE: great tournament as well. I expect some fireworks tonight

Max: got as much out of him as expected. Not a real factor, unfortunately.

Young: pretty much what we expected. Did just fine. Seeded 5th. Wrestled to 7th.

Marinelli: obviously disappointed in the loss and even more so the injury.

Kemerer: wrestling to seed. Great performance!

Brands: pretty much wrestled to seed. Never a threat.

Warner: good tournament. Got 4th and had some nice wrestlebacks.

Cass: good tournament. Seeded 5th, but wrestled to third, which is where he really was going in. Maybe Gable wins the gold and goes to WWE?

Outside of Marinelli’s injury , I would say the team wrestled very well. If AM would have stayed healthy, we would be looking at or around 152 points as a team.

THE HERMENATOR

ADVERTISEMENT