ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA?

scotthawk1964

HR All-American
Sep 12, 2014
Puerto Princesa, Palawan, Philippines
I'm no expert on the powers and authority of the NCAA, but shouldn't the NCAA be chiming in on some conferences playing, and some not? It would seem to me that unless all the P5 conferences play then none of them should be playing. I am guessing the NCAA has no authority in this matter.

Reactions: hawkedoff
I'm no expert on the powers and authority of the NCAA, but shouldn't the NCAA be chiming in on some conferences playing, and some not? It would seem to me that unless all the P5 conferences play then none of them should be playing. I am guessing the NCAA has no authority in this matter.

The NCAA can't ban the ignorance of the B1G. And the price of the ignorance of the B1G shouldn't be borne by others who don't share the B1G's ignorance.

Keep it simple.

If the SEC is determined to play...than 3 conferences will be playing football this fall. The NCAA has no say in the matter. If the SEC wavers in its commitment, than who knows what may happen...but I'd say that seems unlikely at this point.

Keep it simple.

If the SEC is determined to play...than 3 conferences will be playing football this fall. The NCAA has no say in the matter. If the SEC wavers in its commitment, than who knows what may happen...but I'd say that seems unlikely at this point.

Let me help you out with the Than/Then thing.

Iowa State is better THAN any B1G team.
They would easily run the table, THEN go on to play for a national title if they we’re in the B1G.

You’re welcome.

Let me help you out with the Than/Then thing.

Iowa State is better THAN any B1G team.
They would easily run the table, THEN go on to play for a national title if they we’re in the B1G.

You’re welcome.

Well gosh. Thanks.

I think it's a complicated answer. But my understanding is that the NCAA has nothing to do with the bowl system/playoff system for FBS schools. The conferences run that. Also, the NCAA gets zero money from the college FB TV deals, that is all to the conferences and schools. The NCAA runs the basketball tournament, which is by far and away the largest revenue producer for the org, so the NCAA exerts much more control over basketball.

For football, NCAA sets the recruiting calendar, administers rules, is responsible for compliance/enforcement. But it's not getting TV money or running the post-season. So its motivation to step in here and exert power is nil. And the conferences would not listen. This arrangement is beneficial for things like the advent of replay. Delaney wanted to institute replay for football, so the Big 10 went ahead and did it. Rest of country followed suit. But NCAA would probably be helped by a "football czar" as KF has called for, in situations like this.

Reactions: scotthawk1964
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT