ADVERTISEMENT

NDSU Head Coach

How are the previous 2 head coaches doing at their new schools who were just as good or better at NDSU?
NDSU is not a whole lot different than Boise State. They built a culture of winning - and have maintained that continuity as a result. A big part of that transcends the coaching and is also linked to the infrastructure available to the programs. Folks at those programs learned what worked before them ... and kept applying that same "winning formula."

Even before NDSU migrated to D1 ... they were a power at the D2 level as well ... winning 5 D2 National Championships from 1983 to 1990. But yeah ... they moved to D1 ball in 2004 ... and have won FCS national championship 9 times since then.

NDSU is not a whole lot different than Boise State. They built a culture of winning - and have maintained that continuity as a result. A big part of that transcends the coaching and is also linked to the infrastructure available to the programs. Folks at those programs learned what worked before them ... and kept applying that same "winning formula."

Even before NDSU migrated to D1 ... they were a power at the D2 level as well ... winning 5 D2 National Championships from 1983 to 1990. But yeah ... they moved to D1 ball in 2004 ... and have won FCS national championship 9 times since then.
NDSU reminds me a lot of Wisconsin. The system is in place, and all the HC needs to do is come in and run it to have success

It’s a fair question. What works at one program doesn’t necessarily work at another. And why would you not look at how their previous head coaches are currently doing? It’s a piece of the puzzle.
8-5 in 2019; 4-6 in the Covid year; and 8-5 in 2021. Not too bad at all for his first three years.

I guess I don't know why we'd feel the need to be glued to the idea of the next coach being just like KF in terms of his aw-shucksiness-lets-be-unsexy-and-consistent-and-nice-and-unflashy-and-ebbsflows-and-blah-blah-blah.

Seriously. I've been a big fan of KF and what he's done taking over the program when he did. But let's not forget that Hayden Fry came in and completely changed the Iowa football culture from one of a losing mindset to one that expected Rose Bowls. And Fry liked aggressive offense, aggressive defense, putting his foot on the opponents throat when we were up by three scores and leaving nothing in doubt. His approach to gameday coaching and KF's approach to gameday coaching couldn't be more opposite.

The NDSU coach is clearly impressive. I just don't think the program should approach the next HC hire as finding the guy who most looks, acts, sounds, and coaches like KF. I'd hope we'd have more of an open mind than that.

Man, what a fit he would be at Iowa.

NDSU Presser March 2022
Matt Entz is a dude. I've watched a lot of his pressers since he was hired as HC at NDSU. I saw him once getting choked up talking about his relationships with the team. There's nothing phony about this guy. He's 100% the real deal. I have no idea if he could make the "leap" to FBS. If he ever does, I hope he's patient and chooses wisely, instead of taking a bottom of the barrel job.

How are the previous 2 head coaches doing at their new schools who were just as good or better at NDSU?
Didn't we hire a guy away from them when they beat us, in Kinnick? He was good for our OL and then left for another job.

Entz has the mentality for the BIG, they are very good at what they do and not nearly as predictable as Iowa's offense.

Considering what Kirk Ferentz has built at Iowa*, when he retires there won't be a shortage of applicants for the job. Some of them will have very good resumes.

*- Kirk has acknowledged the work that Hayden Fry did to build Iowa football back up to prominence. The talent on the roster in 1999 may have been sparse, young when it was there. But the infrastructure was there. That was more than Hayden had when he was hired in December 1978.

Entz coached me about 12 years ago. Matt was a hard worker and great coach but honestly never thought he would be in this spot. He was a little rough around the edges and wasn't the smoothest talker then but obviously has grown a lot. Very impressive what he has done and I think he can make the leap to the next level. I can see players buying into him. Really cool to see what Kleiman and now what Matt have done.

Credit to Entz and how he's continued NDSU's success, but at the same time, it's hard to keep a juggernaut like that from slowing down without making a disastrous hire.

There's tons of good coaches out there that people don't know about simply due to not having the stars align for them to achieve such a high level of success.

Credit to Entz and how he's continued NDSU's success, but at the same time, it's hard to keep a juggernaut like that from slowing down without making a disastrous hire.

There's tons of good coaches out there that people don't know about simply due to not having the stars align for them to achieve such a high level of success.
Agreed. I worked with alot of great coaches that didn't advance to high D-1 because stars didn't align. Dan Clark was great and look where he is at. UNI to Illinois State to Dubuque to Grandview and to Southern illinois. I will also attest that Frank Verducci was the best coach I've ever been around but really struggled at UConn where it's a tough place to win. The right set up really matters.

Considering what Kirk Ferentz has built at Iowa*, when he retires there won't be a shortage of applicants for the job. Some of them will have very good resumes.

*- Kirk has acknowledged the work that Hayden Fry did to build Iowa football back up to prominence. The talent on the roster in 1999 may have been sparse, young when it was there. But the infrastructure was there. That was more than Hayden had when he was hired in December 1978.
Depends if we get nil going, which we aren't. If not, not many gonna want the job. Times are changing and quickly. And not just in sports ..

Reactions: obfuscating
The BF method of coaching advancement is much easier. Why earn your way up with blood, sweat and tears (and success) when you can just be the right guy's son?
Depends if we get nil going, which we aren't. If not, not many gonna want the job.
Not saying I totally disagree, but I can't imagine that candidate pool would be much different unless Iowa totally resists NIL for long enough that the program bottoms out and KF leaves it the way it was when he came on board, with the program needing to recover from the Dark Ages. Iowa is not going to attract A-list head coaching candidates either way.

Reactions: obfuscating
The BF method of coaching advancement is much easier. Why earn your way up with blood, sweat and tears (and success) when you can just be the right guy's son?

Not saying I totally disagree, but I can't imagine that candidate pool would be much different unless Iowa totally resists NIL for long enough that the program bottoms out and KF leaves it the way it was when he came on board, with the program needing to recover from the Dark Ages. Iowa is not going to attract A-list head coaching candidates either way.
"Jordan Bohannon, who is a former Point Guard for the Iowa Hawkeyes, said he said schools might not release NIL data because it is inaccurate or potentially embarrassing. He said how much money an athlete can make in NIL deals has become one of the biggest concerns for recruits today and Iowa hasn’t been as proactive when it comes to helping its players make money."

If former players are calling our "nil efforts" "embarrassing"...that's a big issue.

Reactions: Ronman
"Jordan Bohannon, who is a former Point Guard for the Iowa Hawkeyes, said he said schools might not release NIL data because it is inaccurate or potentially embarrassing. He said how much money an athlete can make in NIL deals has become one of the biggest concerns for recruits today and Iowa hasn’t been as proactive when it comes to helping its players make money."

If former players are calling our "nil efforts" "embarrassing"...that's a big issue.
Not sure I'd trust the account of the selfish douche who about got his ass kicked by his own teammates.

Reactions: jo12208
I like Entz , Detail and process oriented , Knows His Roster , You can tell He is hands on and motivated. Gives the press detailed good answers and is pretty frank about Players with a positive tone while also challenging some Players to help develop Them. He will get a P5 job if He chooses to make the move at some point.

Matt Entz is a dude. I've watched a lot of his pressers since he was hired as HC at NDSU. I saw him/Matt Campbell/PJ Fleck once getting choked up talking about his relationships with the team. There's nothing phony about this guy. He's 100% the real deal. I have no idea if he could make the "leap" to FBS. If he ever does, I hope he's patient and chooses wisely, instead of taking a bottom of the barrel job.
FIFY.

First of all, forgive me for not taking Social Media Rage Dude's words as gospel.

No matter the accuracy of this, I don't see Iowa, even if the program is down some and not as much of a player in the NIL world as they should be, ever being a football program that "not many gonna want the job."

First of all, forgive me for not taking Social Media Rage Dude's words as gospel.

No matter the accuracy of this, I don't see Iowa, even if the program is down some and not as much of a player in the NIL world as they should be, ever being a football program that "not many gonna want the job."
If we don't seriously get involved in nil we have zero shot to compete in the future. Recruiting here is already an uphill battle!

So jbos is a liar? K...
No, he's a zealot. Modern academic thought rejects the entire concept of objective truth or reality, and that is where he's spent the last 6 years, so what do expect? One's feelings become "the truth" regardless of the facts surrounding them. I'm sure he's looking at other players at higher budget schools as his point of comparison. We cannot afford to give players half a million dollars like Alabama or Ohio State. Jordan isn't thinking through that fact and how it limits Iowa's NIL capacity. He just wants to give the players more money.

No, he's a zealot. Modern academic thought rejects the entire concept of objective truth or reality, and that is where he's spent the last 6 years, so what do expect? One's feelings become "the truth" regardless of the facts surrounding them. I'm sure he's looking at other players at higher budget schools as his point of comparison. We cannot afford to give players half a million dollars like Alabama or Ohio State. Jordan isn't thinking through that fact and how it limits Iowa's NIL capacity. He just wants to give the players more money.
I don't believe that. Especially if we had something open for us regular folks to each throw a few bucks in...

Probably not the BEST players, but we could buy some really good ones to plug holes. The fact we haven't bought a bball center or a QB shows we are failing big time.

that's not how the quote reads.

that very well may be, but you don't need to use false quotes to support your point.

the quote said, and i'm paraphrasing, that some schools might be embarrassed if their nil data were made public. not that jbo found our nil effort embarrassing.

but regardless, you may be correct and Iowa's effort truly is lacking. i have no idea.

that very well may be, but you don't need to use false quotes to support your point.

the quote said, and i'm paraphrasing, that some schools might be embarrassed if their nil data were made public. not that jbo found our nil effort embarrassing.

but regardless, you may be correct and Iowa's effort truly is lacking. i have no idea.
Barta has made it quite clear he doesn't want to play by the new rules and our lack of nil deals and failure in the portal seems to support that.

ADVERTISEMENT