ADVERTISEMENT

NDSU Head Coach

If we don't seriously get involved in nil we have zero shot to compete in the future. Recruiting here is already an uphill battle!
I'd take issue with what you contend on a few levels ...
  1. At least under Ferentz, Iowa prides itself as a "developmental program" - AND, under Ferentz, we have a proven track-record of developing players who are successful on the next level
  2. The misuse of NIL monies very easily could become toxic on a team
  3. Mishandling NIL can open the door to overzealous boosters
Concerning point 1 - aspiring computer-scientists/software engineers still regularly choose to go to Stanford over doing much-cheaper code-academies. Similarly, Iowa is a known NFL factory ... guys will still come.

Concerning point 2 - part of Iowa's recruiting pitch is its ability to develop players AND its family atmosphere. The Hawks will still continue to attract guys for those reasons.

Concerning point 3 - look no further than Auburn to see the damage that overzealous boosters can do. It's happened at many other places too.

I'd take issue with what you contend on a few levels ...
  1. At least under Ferentz, Iowa prides itself as a "developmental program" - AND, under Ferentz, we have a proven track-record of developing players who are successful on the next level
  2. The misuse of NIL monies very easily could become toxic on a team
  3. Mishandling NIL can open the door to overzealous boosters
Concerning point 1 - aspiring computer-scientists/software engineers still regularly choose to go to Stanford over doing much-cheaper code-academies. Similarly, Iowa is a known NFL factory ... guys will still come.

Concerning point 2 - part of Iowa's recruiting pitch is its ability to develop players AND its family atmosphere. The Hawks will still continue to attract guys for those reasons.

Concerning point 3 - look no further than Auburn to see the damage that overzealous boosters can do. It's happened at many other places too.
1.i agree, however you're completely ignoring the fact this was done in pre nil era. Being a developmental program will be more difficult than ever considering nil and ease of transferring.

Concerning point 1...we are teu and still have a really hard time getting elite TE to come here before nil nonsense. Same with dbs! Now that's gonna get even worse imo.

2 and 3 don't mean you don't try. Some rich people are evil, does that stop you from making money?

1.i agree, however you're completely ignoring the fact this was done in pre nil era. Being a developmental program will be more difficult than ever considering nil and ease of transferring.

Concerning point 1...we are teu and still have a really hard time getting elite TE to come here before nil nonsense. Same with dbs! Now that's gonna get even worse imo.

2 and 3 don't mean you don't try. Some rich people are evil, does that stop you from making money?
The Hawks will still continue to dip their toe in the NIL world - it's not like Iowa players haven't been positioned to make supplemental income from their likeness since it became an opportunity. The point being ... the program is exploring it, but they're doing so cautiously.

The comment concerning the boosters had more to do with control - when the people leading the program lose control of the program (to the hands of rich donors/boosters) ... that opens up the opportunity for mismanagement to creep in.

NIL has now been around ... and the Hawks have managed to have surprisingly decent retention.

Furthermore, with the ease of transferring ... that's also led to a shocking number of guys who leave and NEVER find a landing spot. Having a place like Iowa that still always honors the 5-years of the scholarship ... and doesn't give up on players and gives them a chance to develop (even if they might possibly develop slowly) ... that's stability and will still be some allure to that.

Lastly, what we're currently seeing is essentially the equivalent of the wild-west. If you believe that it won't get reigned in via some forms of regulation - then you're kidding yourself.

Part of the allure of collegiate sports is the possibility of parity. The possibility of any team rising up - that keeps fans engaged. You keep fans engaged ... that keeps the TV money flowing and high-rates. If you only get caught in a rich-get-richer situation - then interest wanes and flow of capital diminishes.

Last edited:
I like Entz , Detail and process oriented , Knows His Roster , You can tell He is hands on and motivated. Gives the press detailed good answers and is pretty frank about Players with a positive tone while also challenging some Players to help develop Them. He will get a P5 job if He chooses to make the move at some point.
Bet Nebby looks at him after this year and Frost is gone. That would suck, he would do a lot of good with recruits that Nebby gets (unlike Frost).

Reactions: hawkssox1
I guess I don't know why we'd feel the need to be glued to the idea of the next coach being just like KF in terms of his aw-shucksiness-lets-be-unsexy-and-consistent-and-nice-and-unflashy-and-ebbsflows-and-blah-blah-blah.

Seriously. I've been a big fan of KF and what he's done taking over the program when he did. But let's not forget that Hayden Fry came in and completely changed the Iowa football culture from one of a losing mindset to one that expected Rose Bowls. And Fry liked aggressive offense, aggressive defense, putting his foot on the opponents throat

Evy was definitely wanting to get his quotes out and he played wide open high scoring football with a very good defense. Fry as we all know is quite the salesman, very knowledgeable about offense, wide open when he could do it, but he also knew you needed to pound defenses with the run game when it was working. And Fry never shirked the defense and special teams like some of the newer, modern high powered offensive coaches who want to score score score but cant field a defense.

The thing that holds OU back and Texas are their defenses.

I would say Iowa takes one of those NDSU guys after they show they can make it at the FBS level, even if it was at a MAC school. Since the Big 12 is soon gonna turn into the equivalent of the MAC I think the Kleiman guy would have to win the B12 before I would want him at Iowa.

I don't believe that. Especially if we had something open for us regular folks to each throw a few bucks in...

Probably not the BEST players, but we could buy some really good ones to plug holes. The fact we haven't bought a bball center or a QB shows we are failing big time.

Considering what Kirk Ferentz has built at Iowa*, when he retires there won't be a shortage of applicants for the job. Some of them will have very good resumes.

*- Kirk has acknowledged the work that Hayden Fry did to build Iowa football back up to prominence. The talent on the roster in 1999 may have been sparse, young when it was there. But the infrastructure was there. That was more than Hayden had when he was hired in December 1978.

Hayden had players to work with, but the infrastructure wasn't present. No indoor practice facility and it had been decades without winning.

Hayden Fry finished 5-6 his first season for the Hawkeyes and were competitive in 3-4 of those losses.

Seniors on the 1981 team included players who were recruited or identified by previous staff, including stud All-American Andre Tippet. Fry brought in a better organization, then the former Ohio high school coach Bob Commings.

"Jordan Bohannon, who is a former Point Guard for the Iowa Hawkeyes, said he said schools might not release NIL data because it is inaccurate or potentially embarrassing. He said how much money an athlete can make in NIL deals has become one of the biggest concerns for recruits today and Iowa hasn’t been as proactive when it comes to helping its players make money."

If former players are calling our "nil efforts" "embarrassing"...that's a big issue.
Yeah, I totally want JBo to be our guy for NIL...

NDSU has had better skill postion players on offense then we have had for the last 6-7 years....and its not even close!!!
Yep. We couldn't sniff their shoes with any of our QB's nor WR's. TE's hands down Iowa.

Hope it changes, but I don't see that happening until F is gone.

ADVERTISEMENT